Do memoQ tags in .rtf bilingual tables need to remain red?
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:14
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Nov 27, 2015

OK, I have a simple question. If my client sends me memoQ bilingual .rtf table, which has those little tags in them:

Klik op de rechtermuisknop en selecteer [1}Wissel zichtbaarheid{2].

Will sending them the file back, but with the tags black instead of red mess anything up? Like this:

... See more
OK, I have a simple question. If my client sends me memoQ bilingual .rtf table, which has those little tags in them:

Will sending them the file back, but with the tags black instead of red mess anything up? Like this:

Michael
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hmm Nov 27, 2015

I just did a quick test (export as .rtf, edit it, changing some tags from red to black, and reimporting the rtf into memoQ), and it seem maybe they need to stay exactly the same colour. I just got the following error message for the edited segment:

"QA warnings (automatically found by memoQ)
• Target text contains tag that is not formatted as mqlnternal."

Somnath Dey
Somnath Dey  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 11:44
Member (2014)
English to Bengali
+ ...
No.. Nov 27, 2015

Dear Michael,

Coloring those TAGs isn't necessary at all. Just put those TAGs in its proper place n voila!
It will do..

Just make sure of some points:

1. Do not change the source text/s (not even a blank space).
2. Do not change the file name nor format. (.rtf)

Somnath

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Somnath! Nov 27, 2015

Somnath Dey wrote:

Dear Michael,

Coloring those TAGs isn't necessary at all. Just put those TAGs in its proper place n voila!
It will do..

Just make sure of some points:

1. Do not change the source text/s (not even a blank space).
2. Do not change the file name nor format. (.rtf)

Somnath

Yes, I just did some more tests, and even though any segments with black tags get errors in memoQ, the segments can just be confirmed anyway just fine. So not much of a real error.

Michael

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:14
Finnish to French
memoQ XLIFF Nov 27, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:
If my client sends me memoQ bilingual .rtf table

Not what you asked, but wouldn’t it be simpler to ask your client to provide a memoq XLIFF instead?

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm translating them in MS Word Nov 27, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:
If my client sends me memoQ bilingual .rtf table

Not what you asked, but wouldn’t it be simpler to ask your client to provide a memoq XLIFF instead?

Nope. I am translating these files in MS Word, with the help of (the now open source) Felix.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:14
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I had a similar question... Nov 27, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:
If my client sends me memoQ bilingual .rtf table, which has those little tags in them:

...will sending them the file back, but with the tags black instead of red mess anything up? Like this:

My guess is that the colour of the tags don't matter, but the style does. I asked a similar question a while ago, namely whether it is necessary for those tags to be in the style mqInternal. The MemoQ crowd told me that the style must be mqInternal. I would guess, then, that the colour itself doesn't matter, as long as the style is correct (but who knows what MemoQ looks for when it reads the file -- it may actually look for both the expected name and colour.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bypass it? Nov 27, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:
If my client sends me memoQ bilingual .rtf table, which has those little tags in them:

...will sending them the file back, but with the tags black instead of red mess anything up? Like this:

My guess is that the colour of the tags don't matter, but the style does. I asked a similar question a while ago, namely whether it is necessary for those tags to be in the style mqInternal. The MemoQ crowd told me that the style must be mqInternal. I would guess, then, that the colour itself doesn't matter, as long as the style is correct (but who knows what MemoQ looks for when it reads the file -- it may actually look for both the expected name and colour.

Interestingly, there seems to be a way to bypass use of the mqInternal style as well, via:

(1) Right-click on file, Export bilingual > Two-column RTF > Next > Format tags with the "mqInternal" style (switched OFF)

(2) Right-click on file, Reimport Document: In the "Document Import options" dialogue, see: Two-column RTF update: "Tags must have mqInternal style" (deselected)

However, when testing using a round trip with ‘Format tags with the "mqInternal" style’ set to OFF, and/or "Tags must have mqInternal style" UNCHECKED, I still got the same errors upon reimport.

[Edited at 2015-11-27 20:43 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:14
English to Russian
I tested a segment with QTranslate that always changes the tag color, Nov 30, 2015

and when I imported it back, tags were ok (except for additional spaces between them)

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Nov 30, 2015

Stepan Konev wrote:

and when I imported it back, tags were ok (except for additional spaces between them)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do memoQ tags in .rtf bilingual tables need to remain red?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »