Olaf Reibedanz  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 10:12
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Jan 30, 2016

Good evening,

I am working with MemoQ 2014 on my client's server and I am currently translating a batch of 20 PowerPoint files.

Before starting with the translation, I used the function "Populate Number-Only Segments" to automatically translate and lock those segments.

However, I just noticed that a small number of those segments was not translated in the correct way. This concerns segments like the following one: "1/18/2016" (18 January 2016), which has b
... See more
Good evening,

I am working with MemoQ 2014 on my client's server and I am currently translating a batch of 20 PowerPoint files.

Before starting with the translation, I used the function "Populate Number-Only Segments" to automatically translate and lock those segments.

However, I just noticed that a small number of those segments was not translated in the correct way. This concerns segments like the following one: "1/18/2016" (18 January 2016), which has been left unchanged in the target cell but wich should have been localized to "18.01.2016).

I just tried to unlock one of those segments (using the key combination Ctrl+Shift+L) so that I can edit it, but it doesn't work. (The segment remains locked).

Any idea of how I can unlock those segments?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Cheers,

Olaf
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:12
Finnish to French
Cannot be done (in my experience) Feb 2, 2016

In my own experience, segments that are locked in a document hosted on a memoQ server cannot be unlocked by the translator. I think this is the default behaviour, and the server’s administrator would need to change the defaults for you (as the translator) to be able to unlock segments.

This includes even segments locked by yourself, for instance as a result of populating numbers only with the default values.

Claire Dodé
Claire Dodé  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:12
German to French
what was your role when you locked the segment ? Feb 2, 2016

You cannot unlock the segment if the role of the personn who locked them is higher than your role.
What did you choose for status for the segments when you locked them ?
Sometimes, working with memoQ-Server, your can change your role (translator/reviewer), sometimes not.
Maybe you also cannot unlock them if the project manager locked them.
I allready happened to me that I confirmed some segments and after synchronisation, the PM thought it was ok and locked them. I had to
... See more
You cannot unlock the segment if the role of the personn who locked them is higher than your role.
What did you choose for status for the segments when you locked them ?
Sometimes, working with memoQ-Server, your can change your role (translator/reviewer), sometimes not.
Maybe you also cannot unlock them if the project manager locked them.
I allready happened to me that I confirmed some segments and after synchronisation, the PM thought it was ok and locked them. I had to phone to him to let him unlock them.

This is part of learning working together with a new tool. Some PM think synchronisation is like partial delivery.

Maybe you could write a comment on the side of the segment ?

I hope it helps.
Collapse

Olaf Reibedanz
Olaf Reibedanz  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 10:12
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just spoke to Kilgray Feb 13, 2016

Thanks for your comments!

I asked Kilgray support, and they confirmed that indeed, I am not able to unlock any segments when working on the client's server, even if I locked the segments myself.

I will keep this in mind for the future.

Kind regards,

Olaf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't unlock locked segments

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »