Douglas Arnott
Douglas Arnott  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:07
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Apr 27, 2016

Dear all,

Having trawled through the forum I see quite a few people use memoQ on macs. After using memoqweb for a while when I needed to work on my mac, I decided to get Parallels and install a full version.

I installed Parallels, then Windows 7, then memoQ, all good. Memoq connected fine, and I completed one project. After shutting down and then starting up again though, memoQ hangs on the "create user interface" window, and doesn't start the main software.

... See more
Dear all,

Having trawled through the forum I see quite a few people use memoQ on macs. After using memoqweb for a while when I needed to work on my mac, I decided to get Parallels and install a full version.

I installed Parallels, then Windows 7, then memoQ, all good. Memoq connected fine, and I completed one project. After shutting down and then starting up again though, memoQ hangs on the "create user interface" window, and doesn't start the main software.

I removed memoQ and loaded it again, sure enough everything was back to normal, but after closing it down again, it refuses to get past the intro screen once more.

Any ideas what can be causing this? I guess it must be some setting that denies the software access to something, preventing it from launching, but I don't know why it allows me to work on it the first time round then. Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks,
Douglas
Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Suspending is not a long-time solution Apr 27, 2016

You can of course just suspend your VM, but that's not a real solution. Perhaps Windows 7 is the culprit? I'm running Windows 8 (with Classic Start menu) and don't have any problems.

Douglas Arnott
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Launch Apr 27, 2016

I guess it could be, just strange that it works fine upon the initial install, opens without a hitch, then at the second attempt I don't get past the welcome screen, the one you have in your screenshot. It's as if it's searching for a file during the launch process that it doesn't find. Perhaps it has something to do with where it saved the previous project I opened?

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Where did you save it Apr 27, 2016

Douglas Arnott wrote:

Perhaps it has something to do with where it saved the previous project I opened?

Well, where did you save it .

For testing purposes, save it inside your virtual machine, e.g. in c:\projects, and not in a network path.

[Edited at 2016-04-27 17:00 GMT]

Norskpro
Norskpro
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Contact Support Apr 27, 2016

I suggest that you contact Kilgray Support. They are very helpful and will know what the problem is.

Douglas Arnott
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution Apr 27, 2016

Sorry CafeTran that sounded a bit silly, I was on my phone thinking out loud when I was talking about where I'd saved it. I got home and had a look, and indeed it had saved on a network drive. Reinstalled, changed the default path, and have managed to log in and out several times now, with no problems. Thanks for being my sounding board!

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Glad that you solved it Apr 28, 2016

You could make c:\dropbox your projects folder in your VM and share this folder with your Dropbox at the Mac side. Seamless exchange of data between your VM and your Mac apps and additional cloud backup with versioning. Of course, you'll be needing an Internet connection--though not all the time.

Douglas Arnott
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Apr 28, 2016

...for the tip

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ / Macbook / Parallels

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »