Isabel Barbosa  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:35
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
May 5, 2016

Hi all,

I was given a task where I have to translate word docs and txt files with the same content. The difference is that the txt has split sentences.

I have a Translation Memory from the Word doc and I would like to use it on the txt file, but in the txt file the sentences are split in lines and MemoQ doesn´t recognize the translation done to do matches.

Is there a way to make MemoQ act as matchmaker, to match each part of the sentence in the txt file w
... See more
Hi all,

I was given a task where I have to translate word docs and txt files with the same content. The difference is that the txt has split sentences.

I have a Translation Memory from the Word doc and I would like to use it on the txt file, but in the txt file the sentences are split in lines and MemoQ doesn´t recognize the translation done to do matches.

Is there a way to make MemoQ act as matchmaker, to match each part of the sentence in the txt file with a translation part in the TM?

Thank you,
Isabel
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:35
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Concordance search or Find-Replace May 5, 2016

It's not automatic, but if you highlight the sentence part in the source and do a concordance search (Ctrl+K) the TM segment that contains the portion highlighted will come up. You can then highlight the part of the match that you need and press "Insert selected" to place that portion in the target.

The other thing you can do is eliminate the split sentences, which is quite easy in Word. Open the txt file in Word, show hidden features and highlight the text where you want to elimi
... See more
It's not automatic, but if you highlight the sentence part in the source and do a concordance search (Ctrl+K) the TM segment that contains the portion highlighted will come up. You can then highlight the part of the match that you need and press "Insert selected" to place that portion in the target.

The other thing you can do is eliminate the split sentences, which is quite easy in Word. Open the txt file in Word, show hidden features and highlight the text where you want to eliminate the end-of-line paragraph marks. Don't include the last paragraph mark of a paragraph. Then do a find-replace to change each paragraph mark to a space. In the Find box put the term ^p which finds paragraph marks in the selected text. In the Replace box put a single space. Click Replace All, just once, and all the end-of-line paragraph marks in the selected text will change to single spaces. Then you can save the document and work on that.

[Edited at 2016-05-05 19:14 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:35
English to Russian
Or try to pretranslate May 5, 2016

with 'Automatically join/split segments for best match' option.
{1}, {2}, etc. tags will appear between the parts. You can insert those tags with F8 at their relevant places (if you need the same splitting) or at the end of each segment (if you don't).

Isabel Barbosa
Isabel Barbosa  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:35
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all May 6, 2016

Thank you all!

All your suggestions were very useful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I would like to use a MemoQ TM from a word file on a txt file

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »