Thread poster: Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
Local time: 01:30
English to Polish
+ ...
May 20, 2016

Since, I believe MemoQ has already been introduced in MemoQfest, could anyone attending the conference, share the details as to the new features of the software?
Is there predictive writing for MT, perhaps?

[Edited at 2016-05-20 13:01 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-05-20 13:02 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:30
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes please! May 20, 2016

pro-lingua wrote:

Since, I believe MemoQ has already been introduced in MemoQfest yesterday, could anyone attending the conference, share the details as to the new features of the software?
Is there predictive writing for MT, perhaps?

[Edited at 2016-05-20 12:53 GMT]

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
intel May 21, 2016

Marek had some info over in the memoQ mailing list:

Hi,

Right now I remember:
1. New change tracking system - tracked changes in the source will be displayed accordingly in memoQ source, TM matches will also show differently for such segments. However, the screenshot for this feature was a mockup, so I don't really know how this will look in the final version. But this should enormously simplify work with regulatory documents (e.g. EMA or clinical trials
... See more
Marek had some info over in the memoQ mailing list:

Hi,

Right now I remember:
1. New change tracking system - tracked changes in the source will be displayed accordingly in memoQ source, TM matches will also show differently for such segments. However, the screenshot for this feature was a mockup, so I don't really know how this will look in the final version. But this should enormously simplify work with regulatory documents (e.g. EMA or clinical trials submissions).
2. Regex-based QA - you'll be able to define custom checks, like in Studio or Xbench (Hurray!).
3. Additional QA improvements, e.g. for numbers (no more "too many numbers" warnings).
4. New QA report format, with categories - similar to Verifika output.
5. On the server side - ability to manage multiple projects at once (with a background/queued tasks summary window), plus redesigned interface for project management, on par with 2015 look.

If I understood correctly, 2016 will be released late summer/early autumn. There will be a "beefed up" minor version release of 2015 in May with some new featrures and improvements, but frankly I got somewhat lost in tracking them during presentation (Hamlet plot was quite complex and Gabor as Ophelia was a sight to behold).

Maybe someone else will be able to add to this.

Marek
( https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/memoQ/conversations/topics/43952)

to which I answered:

Thanks for the intel Marek!

Can't say that I am really that interested in anything in your list, but I'm sure there will be a few things you missed, and which might be more interesting to the lowly translator. No matter how hard I try, I can't really get that excited about yet more QA improvements.

Michael

PS: Just to piss off safetex, here is my list of desired fixes and features (note that it's missing quite a few):

– selecting part of a word should select the whole word, like in MS Word, and CafeTran. This is one of the greatest things about quickly selecting text to enter in your TB in CafeTran.
– There is no way to move items (synonyms) up and down in the "Create term base entry" dialogue (thus increasing or decreasing their priority).
– we have "Raise rank" and "Lower rank" for TBs, but it would be great if we also got a "Move to top of rank"
– I still want a way to Select all TMs/TBs. I have been asking for 3 years now and will keep asking.
– It would be great if we could insert hard returns in the Segment editor (would help with translating very long segments), and increase compatibility with Studio.
– Is there any way to filter on only numbers?
– Still no way to change my user name permanently?
– Hit highlighting in memoQ 2015 TM Search program?
– Ability to search TMs in Concordance dialogue that are not connected to my current project
– Ability to also search termbases (via Ctrl+E) that are not connected to my current project. This would make memoQ a complete terminology management system.
– Fonts are way too small in various dialogues. Comments, e.g., are tiny. Would be great if they could be changed.
– Increase font size in preview window? It is currently very small.
– Marking (Information, warning, etc.) should cover blue term highlighting. This is currently not the case, and so marked selections are not very clear when terms are also highlighted blue.
– Double-clicking on a blue-highlighted term in the src box auto-inserts it. But sometimes it would be nice to be able to select it. Shortcut, allowing you to select it anyway?
– Have double spaces flagged visually in the Segment editor (without having to switch on show non-printing characters).
– Increase font size in preview window?
– Increase font size in preview window?
– It would be cool if there was a little button on each segment, that would basically tell memoQ: do / do not auto-propagate this segment (back or back and forwards). That way, we could leave it on, and then just click this button when we came to segments we didn't want to auto-propagate.
Igor added sth like this to CafeTran a while back, and it is very useful
– It would be great if comments in Word docs could optionally contain the full src text, under a line, like in CafeTran.
– Tags at very beginning and/or very end of segment should be auto-inserted.
– Case not auto-adjusted when inserting termbase hits via AutoPick. If I auto-insert a term present in my termbase by selecting it in the Translation results pane and clicking Ctrl+Space, or by double-clicking on the source term in the source box of the segment editor, it should have its case adjusted automatically. That is, memoQ should know not to insert a string starting with a capital (from my TB) into the middle of an English sentence.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
another one just in via Twitter: May 21, 2016

Martijn Waegemakers
@martijn_waegema
@michaelbeijer Auto-archiving of online projects.
memoQ 2016 won't be out till autumn, though.

conversation: https://twitter.com/michaelbeijer/status/733961047850266625

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well... May 21, 2016

A set of nice features, but not exactly what I expected.
I've found that the most time-saving and hence useful feature in CATs I use is Autosuggest/Autocomplete for various resources, and Studio 2015 (as well as DVX3, but not to such an extent as Studio) is the winner in this category, especially with its Regex Autosuggest plugin that offers so much (suggesting numbers, proper names, converting decimals, and many others).
I used to love Wordfast Classic for this feature, but the Auto
... See more
A set of nice features, but not exactly what I expected.
I've found that the most time-saving and hence useful feature in CATs I use is Autosuggest/Autocomplete for various resources, and Studio 2015 (as well as DVX3, but not to such an extent as Studio) is the winner in this category, especially with its Regex Autosuggest plugin that offers so much (suggesting numbers, proper names, converting decimals, and many others).
I used to love Wordfast Classic for this feature, but the Autocomplete in its latest incarnations (WF 6.10 an up) is the shadow of what it used to be.
Looking forward to new Deja Vu then, I suppose and for now sticking with Trados, though its Concordance is terrible when compared to memoQ's excellent LSC. On the other hand, there's the promising Lift feature in the making (Studio), so it seems to be worth all the waiting.

[Edited at 2016-05-21 12:33 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-05-21 12:35 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-05-21 12:36 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
one more (courtesy of johan.kjallman): May 22, 2016

"One more small feature that I remember from the presentation of memoQ 2016 is that it will be possible to get QA warnings for forbidden terms, even if the source term is not present in the source segment. Could be useful when a forbidden term is spelled differently or a synonym is used.

I got the impression that 2016 will not be packed with a lot of fancy new features, but rather focused on small improvements to enhance the usability. I could be wrong though."

... See more
"One more small feature that I remember from the presentation of memoQ 2016 is that it will be possible to get QA warnings for forbidden terms, even if the source term is not present in the source segment. Could be useful when a forbidden term is spelled differently or a synonym is used.

I got the impression that 2016 will not be packed with a lot of fancy new features, but rather focused on small improvements to enhance the usability. I could be wrong though."

(https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/memoQ/conversations/topics/43952 )
Collapse

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK May 22, 2016

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

(https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/memoQ/conversations/topics/43952 )

Oh well, seems like it's Studio for me, since Deja Vu seems already dead now, so some of the new features that I was looking forward to might never be implemented.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Regex Autosuggest May 23, 2016

Can you (or someone else) give an example of how you use this Regex Autosuggest?

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, no problem May 23, 2016

CafeTran Training wrote:

Can you (or someone else) give an example of how you use this Regex Autosuggest?

Of course. The plug-in for Studio enables you to define regular expressions and use them in form of a suggestion.

This is the configuration window:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xoyjx4neojgzkdh/Regex1.jpg?dl=0

As you can see, I've defined there a set of regex rules for Autosuggest function.
Since the expressions are not that easy to set up properly, there must be several expressions to cover all my needs. For example, I want Autosuggest to suggest to me proper names as single words (e.g. John Nowak separately "John" and "Nowak"), as well as a collectively (e.g. John Nowak as "John Nowak")

Some of the settings are true gems. Note the numbers. It can change comma decimals into dot ones and vice versa, change 25,000 into 25 000 or 25000 or even (in Polish) 25 tys.
I can set it to suggest full web addresses, e-mail addresses, replace LA into Los Angeles (in Polish you rarely use the abbreviated form of this name) and many more!

The result can be seen here (the suggestions with letter R come from Regex Autosuggest):

PROPER NAMES
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5kz9rg5s8nlt936/Regex2.jpg?dl=0

NUMBERS
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sexd4znk9va5va0/Regex3.jpg?dl=0

Of course there are many other options to set and to make your life easier, but I'm a beginner regex-freak, so you know... a matter of time

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
nifty May 23, 2016

Wojciech Matyszkiewicz wrote:

CafeTran Training wrote:

Of course. The plug-in for Studio enables you to define regular expressions and use them in form of a suggestion.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xoyjx4neojgzkdh/Regex1.jpg?dl=0

As you can see, I've defined there a set of regex rules for Autosuggest function.
Since the expressions are not that easy to set up properly, there must be several expressions to cover all my needs. For example, I want Autosuggest to suggest to me proper names as single words (e.g. John Nowak separately "John" and "Nowak"), as well as a collectively (e.g. John Nowak as "John Nowak")

Some of the settings are true gems. Note the numbers. It can change comma decimals into dot ones and vice versa, change 25,000 into 25 000 or 25000 or even (in Polish) 25 tys.
I can set it to suggest full web addresses, e-mail addresses, replace LA into Los Angeles (in Polish you rarely use the abbreviated form of this name) and many more!

The result can be seen here (the suggestions with letter R come from Regex Autosuggest):

PROPER NAMES
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5kz9rg5s8nlt936/Regex2.jpg?dl=0

NUMBERS
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sexd4znk9va5va0/Regex3.jpg?dl=0

Of course there are many other options to set and to make your life easier, but I'm a beginner regex-freak, so you know... a matter of time

Michael

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think so. May 23, 2016

Thanks. To say that it makes life easier during the whole translation process is a big understatement and to a large extent was the reason why I went for Studio 2015, because with the translations I do, a complex autosuggest feature (combined with nice Concordance and subsegment matches - that's why I'm looking forward to LIFT) is what I really need.

Tomasz Sienicki
Tomasz Sienicki  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2007)
Danish to Polish
+ ...
...to define regular expressions and use them in form of a suggestion May 23, 2016

For the record: this is available in memoQ as well.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
MehmoQ 2016 May 23, 2016

I got the impression that 2016 will not be packed with a lot of fancy new features, but rather focused on small improvements to enhance the usability.

It doesn't really sound like that could justify a "major release"... (with all it entails in terms of licenses/"subscriptions"/upgrades)

Wojciech Matyszkiewicz

Basically, you almost have to be a coder, on top of being a translator, as using regex isn't exactly the most straightforward thing in the world...

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well May 23, 2016

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

I got the impression that 2016 will not be packed with a lot of fancy new features, but rather focused on small improvements to enhance the usability.

It doesn't really sound like that could justify a "major release"... (with all it entails in terms of licenses/"subscriptions"/upgrades)

Wojciech Matyszkiewicz

Basically, you almost have to be a coder, on top of being a translator, as using regex isn't exactly the most straightforward thing in the world...

I'm not a coder, yet I was able to configure Regex for me.

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Didn't know that May 23, 2016

Tomasz Sienicki wrote:

For the record: this is available in memoQ as well.

Good to know. I was certain memoQ missed this autosuggest feature. Could you elaborate on it? Namely, where in memoQ you configure it?

[Edited at 2016-05-23 11:09 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's new in MemoQ 2016?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »