Is it possible to move existing memoQ project files to a different location?
Thread poster: Idiomatic
Idiomatic
Idiomatic  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 12:17
German to Danish
+ ...
Jul 19, 2016

In order to enable automatic backup, I am thinking of moving my entire memoQ home folder into a Dropbox folder or something like that.

Would memoQ be able to handle that, and if so, how should I proceed?

Obviously, all paths will change, but how do I tell memoQ about it?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Easy enough Jul 19, 2016

Go to Options (the little gearwheels in the top little toolbar), select Locations and then the Resources tab. There you can specify the paths for everything. Use the Projects tab to choose the location for projects.

I am not sure about moving memoQ resources to a Dropbox folder. I wonder whether it could cause performance problems. Do let us know here when you have tried!

Idiomatic
Denmark
German to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Has anyone else tried it? Jul 19, 2016

Thank you, Tomás!

But I am not sure I want to try when you say that it may cause problems.

Has anyone else tried it?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:17
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
no trouble here Jul 19, 2016

I keep everything memoQ related in my Dropbox folder and don't seem to be experiencing any problems. Remember that you can also pause Dropbox in the event of any trouble or slowdowns associated with syncing of large files or whatever. Not that I have had any such thing.

Michael

Idiomatic
Denmark
German to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Any special preparations needed? Jul 19, 2016

Great, Michael. That gives me the courage to proceed!

Have you been keeping everything in your Dropbox folder right since you first installed memoQ, or did you move your files there at some point?

I am asking because I wonder in what order I should do things when moving my files. For instance, should I make sure to somehow clear the project list in memoQ before moving my files so that memoQ will not be searching for project files which are no longer there when launched
... See more
Great, Michael. That gives me the courage to proceed!

Have you been keeping everything in your Dropbox folder right since you first installed memoQ, or did you move your files there at some point?

I am asking because I wonder in what order I should do things when moving my files. For instance, should I make sure to somehow clear the project list in memoQ before moving my files so that memoQ will not be searching for project files which are no longer there when launched the next time? In other words, must I somehow prepare memoQ before actually moving the files? Or is it enough to simply tell memoQ afterwards where they are now, the way Tomás explained?

Thank you also for the tip about pausing Dropbox. I am not particularly familiar with Dropbox yet either.
Collapse

Idiomatic
Denmark
German to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can all the content of the memoQ home folder safely be moved? Jul 20, 2016

Coming to think of it, the memoQ home folder does not contain any program files, right? I assume it contains only translation memories, term bases, projects and other content that can safely be moved. Because I am planning to simply move the entire folder.

But I am still not sure what I should do first: change the memoQ settings first or move the files first. Maybe the best way would be to copy the files instead of moving them, then change the settings, and finally delete the origin
... See more
Coming to think of it, the memoQ home folder does not contain any program files, right? I assume it contains only translation memories, term bases, projects and other content that can safely be moved. Because I am planning to simply move the entire folder.

But I am still not sure what I should do first: change the memoQ settings first or move the files first. Maybe the best way would be to copy the files instead of moving them, then change the settings, and finally delete the original home folder and all its content. Does anyone know?
Collapse

Idiomatic
Denmark
German to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How can I make the lists of available translation memories and term bases point to the new location? Jul 29, 2016

I have now copied all files to a new location and made the corresponding changes under Locations. So the files are currently present in both the old and new locations.

I can open existing projects from the new location without any problems.

But when I have opened a project, the lists of available translation memories and term bases only show the resources at the old location. When I remove the resources from the old location completely, the lists still point to
... See more
I have now copied all files to a new location and made the corresponding changes under Locations. So the files are currently present in both the old and new locations.

I can open existing projects from the new location without any problems.

But when I have opened a project, the lists of available translation memories and term bases only show the resources at the old location. When I remove the resources from the old location completely, the lists still point to these, but say "Resource unavailable" or something like that.

So how can I make the lists point to the resources at the new location and thereby make them available?
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:17
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Dropbox and MemoQ Jul 29, 2016

I have been using a Dropbox folder for all of my MemoQ folders for years, without problems.

Two big advantages:

- backup
- I can go to either of my computers that has the Dropbox folder and pickup where I left off.

The only caveat I have found about using Dropbox to share the work on another computer is that the path must be identical on both machines, since MemoQ seems to put the path to its folders in its file properties and if the path is different
... See more
I have been using a Dropbox folder for all of my MemoQ folders for years, without problems.

Two big advantages:

- backup
- I can go to either of my computers that has the Dropbox folder and pickup where I left off.

The only caveat I have found about using Dropbox to share the work on another computer is that the path must be identical on both machines, since MemoQ seems to put the path to its folders in its file properties and if the path is different on the two machines it will not find the folder. So the computer user name, for example, must be the same and the folder location the same, on both machines.
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:17
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Moving MemoQ Resources Jul 29, 2016

Idiomatic wrote:

But when I have opened a project, the lists of available translation memories and term bases only show the resources at the old location. When I remove the resources from the old location completely, the lists still point to these, but say "Resource unavailable" or something like that.

You have to use "Register Local". Here's from MemoQ's knowledge base on the subject - although it's about moving to a new computer, the same applies to moving to a new location on the same computer:

You can also move resource folders. Here is how to do this (using the Translation Memories as example):

1. On your old computer, locate the folder where you store your translation memories. Under Windows 7, it is by default: C:\ProgramData\MemoQ\Translation Memories

Note: If you do not know where you have stored your resources, open memoQ, then go to Tools > Options > Locations. Here you find the folder paths to your projects and resources.

2. In the Translation Memories folder, select the TM folder you want to move. Zip the folder, and copy this folder to your new computer.

3. Unzip the Translation memory folder on your new computer.

4. Open memoQ, go to the Resource Console. In the Translation Memories pane, click the Register local link.

5. In the Open dialog, navigate to your TM folder, and double click the *.mtm file. You now have registered your local TM on your new computer and now you can use the TM on your new computer.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
There's a solution for that Jul 29, 2016

John Fossey wrote:

The only caveat I have found about using Dropbox to share the work on another computer is that the path must be identical on both machines, since MemoQ seems to put the path to its folders in its file properties and if the path is different on the two machines it will not find the folder. So the computer user name, for example, must be the same and the folder location the same, on both machines.

https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/89:

Screen Shot 2016-07-29 at 14.31.45

Idiomatic
Denmark
German to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So should I both use "Register Local" AND change the paths under "Locations"? Jul 29, 2016

John Fossey wrote:

You have to use "Register Local". Here's from MemoQ's knowledge base on the subject - although it's about moving to a new computer, the same applies to moving to a new location on the same computer:

Thank you, John! I will try that later tonight. I expect that will do the trick. But does that mean that I shouldn't have changed anything under Locations in the first place?

Idiomatic
Denmark
German to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Register local link is deactivated Jul 29, 2016

Okay, when I'm in the Translation Memories pane of the Resource Console, the Register local link is deactivated - please see screenshot below. What could be wrong?
register-local-deactivated

Idiomatic
Denmark
German to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why is the Register local link is grayed out? Jul 31, 2016

I seem to be stuck here. Does no-one have an idea at all?

Idiomatic
Denmark
German to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My own vague ideas of what it might be about Jul 31, 2016

I wonder if it is perhaps because the situation is in fact not quite the same as when moving resources to a different computer. If I were moving resources to a different computer, memoQ on the new computer would not know the old paths to begin with because it would be a different memoQ installation. As it is now, however, we are talking about the same memoQ installation, and my resources are still listed in the Resource Console, but they are marked as not available, and the old paths are given. ... See more
I wonder if it is perhaps because the situation is in fact not quite the same as when moving resources to a different computer. If I were moving resources to a different computer, memoQ on the new computer would not know the old paths to begin with because it would be a different memoQ installation. As it is now, however, we are talking about the same memoQ installation, and my resources are still listed in the Resource Console, but they are marked as not available, and the old paths are given. Could it have something to do with the presence of this list that I cannot click the Register local link?

My other idea is that it may somehow have something to do with the fact that I first changed the paths under Locations, though I don't understand why and how.

I will try and put the files back where they used to be and change the paths back under Locations and then start over with the Resource Console to see if that makes any difference. But I fear that the problem may rather be related to the fact that I am working with my "old" memoQ installation, and it seems to remember where everything was.

I would appreciate any help. I have searched the MemoQ knowledge base (thank you for referring me to that, John) in every way I could think of, and I cannot seem to find a solution.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to move existing memoQ project files to a different location?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »