Joining segments without uninterpreted tags being inserted?
Thread poster: Pavel Sirotkin
Pavel Sirotkin
Pavel Sirotkin
Germany
Local time: 08:16
Russian to German
+ ...
Oct 23, 2016

Hi,

I have a document which is not well-formatted, and for various reasons I cannot pre-process it. Due to that, many sentences are split into segments if they run over several lines. I'm happy to join the segments manually; however, when I do that, uninterpreted tags ({1} etc.) appear at the joints, and are exported as new lines into the Word document afterwards, so that I have to go through the document and find and delete every superfluous new line. So my question is: sinc
... See more
Hi,

I have a document which is not well-formatted, and for various reasons I cannot pre-process it. Due to that, many sentences are split into segments if they run over several lines. I'm happy to join the segments manually; however, when I do that, uninterpreted tags ({1} etc.) appear at the joints, and are exported as new lines into the Word document afterwards, so that I have to go through the document and find and delete every superfluous new line. So my question is: since (as far as I understand) there is no way to delete or ignore an uninterpreted tag (or is there?), is there some way not to insert them when I join segments?

Thanks!
Collapse

Anthony Green
Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:16
Italian to English
+ ...
workaround Oct 23, 2016

you can get rid of them in LiveDocs but not in the Translation pane, so you could import the document into there. It's far from ideal so I just tend to leave them in (they're practically always carriage returns) and then clean up the exported document

[Edited at 2016-10-23 20:57 GMT]

Catherine Hess
Catherine Hess  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:16
Member (2016)
Italian to English
Question answered, but less than happy Nov 20, 2016

I was searching for a way to do this very thing. Seems like it would be fairly straightforward for the Kilgray folks to fix this annoying "feature."

I know this flies in the face of modern software development, but I keep wishing that stray bugs and aggravations would get fixed before they go on to more bells and whistles.

Natasha Ziada (X)
Natasha Ziada (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 16:16
English to Dutch
+ ...
Same issue Nov 20, 2016

I have been translating a lot of PowerPoints and otherwise heavily formatted documents lately, and manually fixing/cleaning up the tags is very time-consuming. I'd be very interested in a solution!

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:16
English to Russian
re: annoying "feature" Nov 21, 2016

Catherine Hess wrote:
Seems like it would be fairly straightforward for the Kilgray folks to fix this annoying "feature."

In fact, this is not an annoying feature from Kilgray only. Memsource does exactly the same by inserting tag {j} between segments. SDL does not let you do it at all. If you try to join 2 sentences with memoQ or Memsource (separated by carriage return/paragraph sign), you succeed.
If you try to join the very same 2 sentences with Trados Studio, the 'Merge Segments' button would be just grayed out.
So, it is rather a favor you can join segments with memoQ at all.

You can put all such tags at the end (in the target section) of each sentence.
Once you complete your translation and export it into the native file format, you can replace 2 paragraphs with 1 paragraph to remove all superfluous paragraphs (=tags).

[Edited at 2016-11-21 03:11 GMT]

Natasha Ziada (X)
Australia
English to Dutch
+ ...
'half' solution Nov 21, 2016

Yes, the fact it is possible may be great, however, why are the tags not carried across to the target area as well when joining segments? That would be more consistent imo.

I feel like I should clarify my comment: the reason I wished tags were carried across, is that (in my experience) when you ignore the tags in the source texts and don't copy/insert them into the target text, this leads to errors in exporting the translated files. I might be wrong there as a fairly new user of mem
... See more
Yes, the fact it is possible may be great, however, why are the tags not carried across to the target area as well when joining segments? That would be more consistent imo.

I feel like I should clarify my comment: the reason I wished tags were carried across, is that (in my experience) when you ignore the tags in the source texts and don't copy/insert them into the target text, this leads to errors in exporting the translated files. I might be wrong there as a fairly new user of memoQ, what are other users' experiences?

[Edited at 2016-11-21 03:16 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
tags not carried across Nov 21, 2016

Natasha Ziada wrote:

why are the tags not carried across to the Target area as well when joining segments? That would be more consistent imo.

Yes, I understand your question.
Well... When there is no translation in the target section, memoQ just does not know where you want to put a tag (it is not always obvious). You have to press F9 where you need a tag.
When there is translation already typed in both segments to be joined, it does insert a tag between the joined translations in the same way as when joining segments.

[Edited at 2016-11-21 03:18 GMT]

Natasha Ziada (X)
Australia
English to Dutch
+ ...
insert tags Nov 21, 2016

Stepan Konev wrote:

You can put all such tags at the end (in the target section) of each sentence.
Once you complete your translation and export it into the native file format, you can replace 2 paragraphs with 1 paragraph to remove all superfluous paragraphs (=tags).

[Edited at 2016-11-21 03:11 GMT]

Do you know of an easy way to insert the tags in the target section, apart from typing/copying them?

Natasha Ziada (X)
Australia
English to Dutch
+ ...
F9 Nov 21, 2016

Hi Stepan - it appears we keep on typing at the same time F9 was what I was looking for, thank you!

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
F8 and F9 Nov 21, 2016

Actually, F8 is for memoQ tags (like this: {1}) and F9 is for inline tags ('bricks'). But if you don't have brick-tags in the current segment, F9 also inserts {1}-tags.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Joining segments without uninterpreted tags being inserted?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »