What Is Paid In Trados?
Thread poster: R.Yuli
R.Yuli
R.Yuli
Local time: 07:09
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Apr 29, 2014

Hei, guys, I am new here and work as freelance translator in a company and one of my tools is Trados 2011. May I ask you what is paid if someone translated using Trados 2011? I mean, what part of word count is usually paid? Trados 2011 word count titled "Analyze File Report" and look like this:

PerfectMatch
Context Match
Repetitions
Cross-file Repetitions
100%
95-99%
85-94%
75-84%
50-74%
--------
Internal
100%
... See more
Hei, guys, I am new here and work as freelance translator in a company and one of my tools is Trados 2011. May I ask you what is paid if someone translated using Trados 2011? I mean, what part of word count is usually paid? Trados 2011 word count titled "Analyze File Report" and look like this:

PerfectMatch
Context Match
Repetitions
Cross-file Repetitions
100%
95-99%
85-94%
75-84%
50-74%
--------
Internal
100%
95-99%
85-94%
75-84%
50-74%
--------
New
--------
Total

My company pays me for new words (titled as "new") also 95-99%, 85-94%, 75-84% and 50-74% matching words. They won't pay for perfect match, context match, repetitions, cross-files repetitions, also, strangely, they don't want to pay for internal 95-99%, 85-94%, 75-84% and 50-74% matching words (see the ones above "new"). Is it the correct practice?
While in "Analysis Statistics" per file (on the "File" menu), the counter look like this:

PerfectMatch
Repetitions
Context Match
100%
95-99%
85-94%
75-84%
50-74%
No Match
Total

As you can see, the 95-99%, 85-94%, 75-84%, and 50-74% matching words are counted as one (not separated in "internal" and other category like in "Analyze File Report") that means I have to work on those ones too.
My question is why is there separation on 95-99%, 85-94%, 75-84% and 50-74% matching words (being internal and the other) and what does this separation mean? Please help me and give quick answer because I got a rather serious problem and kinda inexperience in this.
Thank you.

[Diedit pada 2014-04-29 22:02 GMT]
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:09
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Trados discounts May 8, 2014

It is YOUR business. You decide what is and what is not acceptable for YOU. They cannot dictate what and how YOU charge for YOUR service.

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:09
English to Polish
No discounts at all May 9, 2014

You can also refuse to grant any discounts at all and charge full rate for ALL words.

As Jeff said - it's all up to you.

Miguel Ríos
Miguel Ríos
Mexico
Local time: 18:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
So, how did it end up? Aug 4, 2015

Did you charge them or did they rob you?

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 01:09
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Set your basic rate high if the client wants discounts Aug 4, 2015

My husband used to work in the finance department of a factory with a lot of international customers. Wages are high in Denmark, and costs meant they had to compete on quality, not price.

However, some customers wanted the lowest possible all-round rates, no discounts, and they were charged the straight prices for the products they ordered.

Others demanded discounts.
For these, the department calculated a rate 3% or 5% higher than the actual selling price and gav
... See more
My husband used to work in the finance department of a factory with a lot of international customers. Wages are high in Denmark, and costs meant they had to compete on quality, not price.

However, some customers wanted the lowest possible all-round rates, no discounts, and they were charged the straight prices for the products they ordered.

Others demanded discounts.
For these, the department calculated a rate 3% or 5% higher than the actual selling price and gave them a discount on that.

Many of the products were more or less tailored to the customer's needs, so they could not always make direct comparisons, but if they did, the prices they actually paid for similar products were very similar, with or without discounts.

Often there are comparatively few repetitions in my work, but clients like discounts. I set my rate high and give discounts for 100% matches and repetitions. But never for anything below about 90%. I sometimes make use of the other figures for estimating the time I will need.

I do NOT have fixed rates - they vary with the kind of text and subject field, and lots of other factors. Educate your clients - you are a partner, and the owner of your own company, providing an expert service. Don't act like a junior shop apprentice!

I find some clients still actually accept a round fee for a job, without counting pennies for the last three words. (One did send me two almost identical documents recently and she asked if she could have the second one cheap, but then she herself added a bonus for a rushed job...)

If it keeps the client happy and saves hassle to give a discount, you still need not let them rob you!

[Edited at 2015-08-04 14:45 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:09
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Since no-one here is answering your real question... Aug 4, 2015

R.Yuli wrote:
Strangely, they don't want to pay for internal ... matching words. Is it the correct practice?

I suppose your real question is whether internal fuzzy matches are included in the total word count or not. I searched Trados' user manual, but the manual does not answer that question.

You could answer the question yourself, I think, by simply counting up the words for all the categories and seeing which combination of them total the total number of words. In other words, if you don't include the word counts of the internal fuzzy matches, do the other word counts add up to the total word count that you see at the bottom?

I tried to test this myself, and from my little test it appears that Trados does include the internal fuzzy counts in the total word count.

To summarise: it would be correct for the client not to pay for internal fuzzy matches if internal fuzzy matches do not form part of the analysis, but if the analysis does include a section for internal fuzzy matches, then the client must pay for those matches, because Trados includes those matches in the total word count.

My question is why is there separation on ... matching words (being internal and the other) and what does this separation mean?

When you or the client runs an analysis, there is the option to select "internal fuzzy matching". This is a new feature in CAT tools that help the translator understand how many similar segments there are in the file. If you don't specifically select the option to include internal fuzzy matches, Trados will exclude those, and that may be why you don't see the internal fuzzy matches when you run an analysis.

Traditionally, translators who gave discounts gave discounts for TM fuzzy matches but no discounts for internal matching (which is actually illogical, because internal matches result in more time-savings than TM matches), mostly because older CAT tools did not report internal matching in their analysis reports.

Some clients now insist on discounts for both TM matches and internal matches. If you have no objection to "the traditional" discounts (i.e. for fuzzy matches with a TM), then there is no logical reason why you should object to discounts for internal fuzzy matches. In fact, it would be more logical to make your discounts for TM matches lower than for internal matches, though most clients seem to want the same discount for both types of fuzzy matches.

However, those are still *fuzzy* matches (not 100% matches), so you can't do them for free.

[Edited at 2015-08-04 10:32 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What Is Paid In Trados?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »