Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Lots of jobs (what kinds of jobs) being awarded through the translator directory
Thread poster: Bernhard Sulzer
Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 11:33
Chinese to English
Not all about the numbers May 16, 2014

I would say I get approached by outsourcers offering "joke" rates much more frequently than by those offering good rates. It's hard to do the stats because I delete those emails immediately. But the existence of a large pool of cheap-and-nasties doesn't bother me. The question is whether I also get offers from serious clients, and I do. It doesn't matter if the ratio is 1 serious client to 1 three centmonger, or 1:9, or even 1:99. Just so long as I get that 1 serious client, I'm happy.

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:33
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many sharks in the pool May 16, 2014

Phil Hand wrote:

I would say I get approached by outsourcers offering "joke" rates much more frequently than by those offering good rates. It's hard to do the stats because I delete those emails immediately. But the existence of a large pool of cheap-and-nasties doesn't bother me. The question is whether I also get offers from serious clients, and I do. It doesn't matter if the ratio is 1 serious client to 1 three centmonger, or 1:9, or even 1:99. Just so long as I get that 1 serious client, I'm happy.

Thanks for your input, Phil. I agree with you but I tried to think ahead - how this will be in a year or two or more. Granted, there is a good chance you will keep the clients who have worked with you for years but there's no guarantee. My concern is with the possible and in my opinion probable decrease in good jobs and increase in cheap jobs and the consequences because there are many who can be approached and will work for lower rates. And fewer good contacts through the directory might be evidence of that.

So I am interested in what others experience. When people tell me they are not bothered by as you call them the cheap-and-nasties - it's okay as long as they don't take over completely. which I hope will not be the case. It does get dangerous if good translators follow a trend to lower rates. And things are not easy these days for many I am sure.
Again, I am interested in what trends might mean for all of us in the future - we are not all living in our own little bubble, not forever anyway.

B

[Edited at 2014-05-16 01:42 GMT]

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 05:33
English to Russian
You can get your best clients through ProZ May 16, 2014

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Of course, you can waste a lot of time on those contacts who are never going to pay you what you ask. I did a fair bit of that in the early days, but now I'm quick to hit "X" when I get job post notifications or direct contacts that obviously aren't going to yield fruit. ... Being selective is a good idea, but I've never agreed with those who won't have anything at all to do with the jobs board and dismiss every job there as bottom-feeding clients paying peanuts. It just isn't true, even if they are in the majority.

Exactly, Sheila. I have recently won a direct client who posted a job on ProZ. There were 65 bids by the time I sent my quote. I am absolutely sure my quote was among the higher ones, yet this client subsequently contacted me directly, because my prior background, expertise and skills seemed to be a perfect match for their purposes. The agreed rate was US$0.18/word and included editing/proofreading by a trusted colleague.

Bernhard Sulzer
United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Stemming the tide is good and important May 16, 2014

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Of course, you can waste a lot of time on those contacts who are never going to pay you what you ask. I did a fair bit of that in the early days, but now I'm quick to hit "X" when I get job post notifications or direct contacts that obviously aren't going to yield fruit. ... Being selective is a good idea, but I've never agreed with those who won't have anything at all to do with the jobs board and dismiss every job there as bottom-feeding clients paying peanuts. It just isn't true, even if they are in the majority.

Exactly, Sheila. I have recently won a direct client who posted a job on ProZ. There were 65 bids by the time I sent my quote. I am absolutely sure my quote was among the higher ones, yet this client subsequently contacted me directly, because my prior background, expertise and skills seemed to be a perfect match for their purposes. The agreed rate was US$0.18/word and included editing/proofreading by a trusted colleague.

Hello Vladimir,

Thanks for your thoughts.

I like your commitment to working for an adequate rate - clearly your prices are very different from what many people would ever expect to be working for in your language combination. I don't argue that it is not possible to get clients such as the one you describe above, be it through Proz.com or elsewhere. Yet, I do see it as the exception to the rule, it doesn't happen often, not here. What happens a lot though is what Sheila describes as those contacts who are never going to pay what YOU ask - but who find someone else. As long as that someone delivers an inferior job, your and my job are relatively secure even though they might take a while to arrive on our doorsteps. But when too many accept to supply quality for cheap, it does have consequences, even for us. As I said in my first post, the statement about the many jobs coming through the directory search might suggest a healthy situation in our industry but I don't share this opinion.
But people like you and responsible clients are important factors in the overall development of our industry.

B

[Edited at 2014-05-16 04:49 GMT]

Vladimir Pochinov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
ProZ can generate enough business to keep anyone happy May 16, 2014

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

I believe that these days, it is very important to keep the contacts you have and hopefully get a few new ones, but you can't rely on a steady stream of acceptably paid work hoping to get contacted through here. I am sorry to say this and maybe that's not everyone's experience.

No, it's not everyone's experience.

Personally, last year I quit a rather "fat" job - an in-house legal translator with a major international law firm - with handsome pay to take home each month and generous fringe benefits. I believe this might be a dream job for many fellow translators in Moscow.

I did quit this job (and I was not fired, to avoid any misunderstanding:)) as soon as I had repaid a sizeable mortgage loan (within 3 years instead of 10 years under the mortgage loan agreement with the bank). The primary underlying reasons were as follows:

1. Being my own boss (in terms of "what", "when" and "how")
2. No need to commute (at least 1.5 hours for the return trip each of the five working days in my case)

As to your statement, this move indicates that I am quite confident that my freelance business (and ProZ accounts for 95% of my existing clients) will provide enough money to buy my "bread and butter (and caviar)", as the Russian saying goes.

By way of example, I own two SDL Trados Studio licenses (2014 Freelance and 2011 Professional). I believe you know that the latter is quite expensive and generally used by translation agencies and/or large corporations with their own translation departments. According to the girl in charge of the Trados product family in Russia (T-Service, an SDL approved reseller, "Reseller of the Year 2013"), I am currently the first and only private owner of SDL Trados Studio Professional

The bottom line: it's been ten months since I quit my previous salaried job, and I don't regret I did it

[Edited at 2014-05-16 05:40 GMT]

Bernhard Sulzer
United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many probably have a different experience May 16, 2014

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

I believe that these days, it is very important to keep the contacts you have and hopefully get a few new ones, but you can't rely on a steady stream of acceptably paid work hoping to get contacted through here. I am sorry to say this and maybe that's not everyone's experience.

No, it's not everyone's experience.

By way of example, I own two SDL Trados Studio licenses (2014 Freelance and 2011 Professional). I believe you know that the latter is quite expensive and generally used by translation agencies and/or large corporations with their own translation departments. According to the girl in charge of the Trados product family in Russia (T-Service, an SDL approved reseller, "Reseller of the Year 2013"), I am currently the first and only private owner of SDL Trados Studio Professional

The bottom line: it's been ten months since I quit my previous salaried job, and I don't regret I did it

Yet, many others probably have a different experience.

And I would say that you are probably not the typical translator in your language pair, and I mean that in a good way. Experience, references etc. still do make a difference and in your language pair seem to help you earn what you want to earn.

However, I don't agree with your summation that "ProZ can generate enough business to keep anyone happy" (taking "can" as "is actually facilitating" and "keeping anyone happy" as "everyone makes the money they need and deserve").

[Edited at 2014-05-16 04:47 GMT]

Vladimir Pochinov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
There are different markets and different clients May 16, 2014

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

Phil Hand wrote:

I agree with you but I tried to think ahead - how this will be in a year or two or more. Granted, there is a good chance you will keep the clients who have worked with you for years but there's no guarantee.

I am with Phil on this point. I joined ProZ in 2002. All these years I have been reading about "bottom feeders", etc. Yes, most of my potential clients disappear after the initial contact, as soon as I mention my rates:) (Perhaps, I do need to consider stating my rates up front in my profile page. I have been reluctant to do this, because I prefer to play it by the ear on a case-by-case basis, and sending an unwanted job offer to the trash bin takes one click only...) Yet, there are different markets and different clients. E.g. with $$$$$$ at stake in a major M&A deal or high-profile litigation, certain clients are happy to pay $150-200 per hour for translation work, provided that they get translated documents which would stand scrutiny by the opposing party's legal counsel in court.

From my own experience of working in a law firm environment, our lawyers handled a litigation with $300m at stake where one of the key issues was a single (deliberate or negligent) occurrence of mistranslation.

Vladimir Pochinov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
ProZ can help secure enough business to keep a professional and reliable translator happy May 16, 2014

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

However, I don't agree with your summation that "ProZ can generate enough business to keep anyone happy" (taking "can" as "is actually facilitating" and "keeping anyone happy" as "everyone makes the money they need and deserve").

Point taken:)

ProZ can help secure enough business to keep a professional and reliable translator happy

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Another satisfied Proz.com customer May 16, 2014

The vast majority of my customer base are agencies who have contacted me through proz.com. Most of them are long-standing, but they were new contacts at one stage. For example, my proz.com-generated earnings account for almost 70% over the past 4 years.

But I also find that it is getting harder to secure returning customers.

Quick search on jobs from new agency customers who contacted me through Proz.com:
2012: 2 projects, 700 and 3000 euros
2013: 4 projects
... See more
The vast majority of my customer base are agencies who have contacted me through proz.com. Most of them are long-standing, but they were new contacts at one stage. For example, my proz.com-generated earnings account for almost 70% over the past 4 years.

But I also find that it is getting harder to secure returning customers.

Quick search on jobs from new agency customers who contacted me through Proz.com:
2012: 2 projects, 700 and 3000 euros
2013: 4 projects from 300 to 3000 euros
2014: zilch
I also had smaller orders from 4 other customers.

Some of them have been returning sporadically, but none has reached the level where they account for a visible part of my turnover. They might do at a later stage, as it has already happened.

So in 2 years and a bit, I may have earned a bit over 10k€ with new-only contacts from proz.com. But this hides another reality: although I screen direct offers (Blue Board, past job offers on the jobs board, company website, country, credit rating...) before even bothering to reply, my success rate remains very low. But the good thing with a language combination as popular as EN>FR is that I get many enquiries each month.

I charge a blanket rate of 0.11 euro/source word to agencies, and I advertise 0.12 on my profile to scare away anti-3-digit-per-1000-word customers. However, this doesn't mean I don't also get many enquiries from 2-digit-per-1000-word customers, who don't check my published rate or assume that it includes third-party editing, DTP, proofreading and printing. But I agree that since I made my rates public, I get less "noise".

My highest first-time job from a customer contacting me through proz.com was worth around 8keuros (10 years ago?), after I had applied unsuccessfully some weeks before to an unrelated job on the Jobs board. At that time, there were 3-4 times less replies to job offers... I did an update of 3keuros the year after, and then the company was swallowed by one of the big translation manufacturing plants, which obviously meant the end of our story.

When I started in the profession, it was still "easy" enough to break through. I built up a loyal customer base at that time, which has evolved with time, but has always had the right critical mass. I am not sure it would be as smooth if I were starting just now. I feel it is more difficult to convince customers that you are worth every penny of your excessively high base rate.

Philippe
Collapse

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Nothing from 2009 to 2014 May 17, 2014

I joined in 2009, although I then quickly stopped participating actively, returning only in early 2013, with a paid membership, more KudoZ, a better profile, conference participation, articles, verified credentials and some more cute stuff, eventually Cert PRO in both directions. I was probably the first non-native speaker of English to get the red badge in PL-EN (out of seven total).

I receive very few inquiries, even though I have a lot of first page, top 10, even top 5 or top 3 d
... See more
I joined in 2009, although I then quickly stopped participating actively, returning only in early 2013, with a paid membership, more KudoZ, a better profile, conference participation, articles, verified credentials and some more cute stuff, eventually Cert PRO in both directions. I was probably the first non-native speaker of English to get the red badge in PL-EN (out of seven total).

I receive very few inquiries, even though I have a lot of first page, top 10, even top 5 or top 3 directory listings for certain pairs and fields, such as law and realty but also a bunch of other disciplines.

I quote for posted jobs sometimes, but my quotations get either declined or ignored. Regardless, in EN-PL most posted jobs are for paltry word counts and paltry rates, often in narrow technical fields, usually with a short deadline. On the other hand, PL-EN is usually restricted to native speakers of English, like there are so many of them and like they specialize in fields such as (Polish) law.

At this stage I'm basically sick of Western European and American prospects thinking they can leverage their freaking position or the balance of supply and demand, or the balance of their gall alone, to pay just a little less than I'm usually paid in Poland by Polish clients, where the average wage is 25% of what people earn in the West.

Guess what, am I going to read, print, sign and scan a 20-page contract selecting California, Delaware or, heck, even England and Wales law and courts and promising to please the client in every way imaginable and hold harmless if the client, for any reason, is not pleased? Along with reasonable attorney fees, California style? And fill in W8 BEN for the IRS, getting my own brand new EIN in the process? Keep dreaming.

Once upon a time I quoted for or was contacted about (I don't remember which) a very urgent very specialized Latin-into-English translation involving a dynastic marriage between the Ottonians and the Byzantine court, possibly Teophano, mother of Otto III, but I'm not sure about the details. There was a lot of history and geography and ecclesiastic matters and some international relationships. Due midnight of the same freaking day.

I told them that $0.30 per word was what they should expect for that kind of job but with a normal deadline. If they couldn't move the deadline they had, it would cost them double.

They replied along the lines of: 'for this job we can offer you 0.06 per word.'

Seriously?

'Can offer'? I would've understood (though not agred) if they simply hadn't been able to pay more due to a small budget. But 'can offer'? Like a translation of this kind done by a translator of this kind is not conceivably worth more and it would be unconscionable to offer more? Or what else was thought?

I asked them whatever they were thinking counteroffering 10% of my initial quote and whatever made them think I could possibly accept that. No reply.

In general, I'm asked for quotations on Latin jobs more often than those involving Polish, including LA-EN (or even EN-LA, which is L2 to L4 translation in my case), but just how much of my time can I spend quoting on 20-word jobs?

Unfortunately, the 'can offer' mentality is prevalent in the agency world, and standard contracts used by agencies are:

1) abusive,
2) rudely worded, insulting and demeaning,
3) often partially invalid (and if I'm purporting to sell some nontransferable moral rights, I just might get hit with a price reduction claim when they discover they can file one and win),
4) expected to be signed without a single change, all 5-10 pages!
5) full of stuff like it's my responsibility to trace and comply with several hundred pages of American or other foreign legislation and purchase a nuclear vault guarded by a detachment of mercenaries and replete with the best tech the Silicon Valley has to offer.

Seriously?

Part of the problem is that everybody has, by now, discovered the rules of the game and ways of gaming the system.

There are many jobs and many translators, but due to the reverse-auction mechanic jobs manage to be sold as if they were rare goods. Please note even the 'awarded' in the title of this thread. It's a standard word in English-speaking public procurement (or huge bureaucratic procurement in general), but it still carries the connotation that to just get an assignment to do is a reward.

Even if there are 20 jobs and 20 translators, it won't be the simple matter of distributing 1 job per translator. Nope. Almost every single job will get the benefit of the 'competitive price'. Everybody is competing for every job, which drives the prices into the ground, and outsourcers don't even need to haggle much. Not that they don't haggle. They still do.

The other problem with outsourcers is that they push everything down on the translator's shoulders, including QA (a.k.a. get your own proofreader), DTP, other tech aspects, basically do all the press/graphic prep for them and return a print-ready document.

Seriously? So what is an agency for? Why are middlemen posing as real service providers and keeping both the client and the translator in the dark about the pricing instead of charging a transparent commission fee for their mediation like a good middleman should?

And clients apparently believe that every single agency out of ten or hundred million, or however many there are, does the translation in-house and actually hires proofreaders, specialist consultants and whomever else, supposedly unlike someone who's just a freelance translator. And whom agencies try to convert into a cheap 1-man LSP while they limit themselves to the sales.

This is one of the downsides of globalization: it's very easy for certain operators to game the system and tweak supply and demand to their own advantage. Where there are hundreds or thousands of potentially compatible translators, and it's hard not to have at least dozens of compatible translators for the pair and field where millions of translators of all sorts are connected to the Internet, you only need to communicate a job, and you'll get so many quotations you'll be wasting your unpaid time sifting through them and getting demoralized. Plus, throw a bone — $0.01 a word or something — and someone somewhere will catch it.

Again, globalization. And cheaoponomics. Cost-cutting has long removed common sense from this industry, in addition to the demoralizing level of buyer control and middleman control.

[Edited at 2014-05-17 16:10 GMT]
Collapse

Vladimir Pochinov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
You are your own boss, and you can be as choosey about your clients as you deem fit May 17, 2014

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz wrote:

They replied along the lines of: 'for this job we can offer you 0.06 per word.'

Seriously?

I hate losing valuable time in price negotiations, therefore I state in my initial response to any request for quote (RFQ) that "The rates indicated above are non-negotiable."

Even if there are 20 jobs and 20 translators, it won't be the simple matter of distributing 1 job per translator. Nope. Almost every single job will get the benefit of the 'competitive price'. Everybody is competing for every job, which drives the prices into the ground, and outsourcers don't even need to haggle much. Not that they don't haggle. They still do.

Plus, throw a bone — $0.01 a word or something — and someone somewhere will catch it.

I had quite a few experiences with ProZ auction-type system when a job poster opted for a low bid (say, 30 to 50 percent below my quote), only to come running a week later after having been lambasted by the angry client.

The other problem with outsourcers is that they push everything down on the translator's shoulders, including QA (a.k.a. get your own proofreader), DTP, other tech aspects, basically do all the press/graphic prep for them and return a print-ready document.

Charge extra (and do it yourself or outsource it to an appropriate expert). Period. If the outsourcer would not accept that auxiliary services call for extra fees, you just don't need this client. Start looking for new clients immediately, to replace the "difficult" one.

Cost-cutting has long removed common sense from this industry, in addition to the demoralizing level of buyer control and middleman control.

1. No buyer or middleman controls me. My motto is "The client is always right, unless (s)he is a absolutely wrong" (in which case I just drop him or her).

2. At one point I had about 25-30 more or less regular clients. When I took up a salaried position with an international law firm in 2008 (in order to secure a mortgage loan on better terms and conditions as compared to applying for the same as a self-employed freelance translator) I had to drop most of my then-existing clients, because I was not in a position to be available when they needed me. I quit the law firm in mid-2013, as soon as I had repaid the mortgage. Now I have five regular clients. Three of them supply UN-related material which currently accounts for 75-90 percent of my average monthly workload. From my experience, I don't think it would be too difficult for me to pick up one or two new clients (with projects involving my specialist subject domains) within a relatively short period if I lose any of the existing clients for some reason.

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Maybe some but not a lot May 17, 2014

Hi!

I am on proz since four months only and have been contacted by two direct clients since, one with whom I actually worked on a project after having passed a test. As the client spoke German as well he appreciated the high quality and paid a price that was ok. The second one never answered my phone calls or mails.

By myself I applied for about ten jobs which were proposed in three of my speciality fields (tourism, culinary, marketing) on proz and got one of them (800
... See more
Hi!

I am on proz since four months only and have been contacted by two direct clients since, one with whom I actually worked on a project after having passed a test. As the client spoke German as well he appreciated the high quality and paid a price that was ok. The second one never answered my phone calls or mails.

By myself I applied for about ten jobs which were proposed in three of my speciality fields (tourism, culinary, marketing) on proz and got one of them (800 words). That was it.

There are a lot of translators from French to German and prices on proz seem often very low to me.

So far I have not been contacted by any agency on proz, but may start to work for one soon.

I am not sure proz is a very good way to get loads of clients that are willing to pay a high quality translation...

As a translator I appreciate to be able to ask colleagues on proz when I have a term I am not sure of and also enjoy helping them when I have the time to.

As an outsourcer I never take the cheapest translator but have a look at the speciality fields, the WWA, the projects... If one is to cheap I am afraid he will not do the work properly because he wont have enough time to and for me the most important is the quality. For bigger projects I also phone the translator before to have a more direct impression of the person.
A lot of translators propose very low rates for jobs, often only 0,02 to 0,04 €/word in English and Spanish for a translation job...

[Modifié le 2014-05-17 20:05 GMT]

[Modifié le 2014-05-17 20:06 GMT]

[Modifié le 2014-05-17 20:06 GMT]
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:33
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Not much for me... May 18, 2014

I've been a member (well not in the last year) since 2001 and I only got two clients in all these years... I got them through bidding. Both turned out to be bad payers, despite the good ratings on the Blue Board. I get contacted occasionally through my profile, but mainly by bottom-feeders. I don't have my rates published.

My hunch is that clients equate being a member of two professional organisations with being expensive... which I am! ...
See more
I've been a member (well not in the last year) since 2001 and I only got two clients in all these years... I got them through bidding. Both turned out to be bad payers, despite the good ratings on the Blue Board. I get contacted occasionally through my profile, but mainly by bottom-feeders. I don't have my rates published.

My hunch is that clients equate being a member of two professional organisations with being expensive... which I am!

I believe the people who get jobs through Proz charge low rates. There are exceptions, obviously. Some Italian colleagues have told me that they got very good clients through Proz at very good rates. But they worked in niche sectors.

To me, jobs-wise, Proz is a total waste of time...
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/11#11
Bernhard Sulzer
United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Professional means behaving like a professional May 19, 2014

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

I didn't get hundreds of clients through Proz.com over the years but definitely many more than two. Some of the ones that contacted me or whom I contacted through Proz.com are still my clients. All I am saying is that I have fewer new GOOD contacts. And I am not alone. I still believe that Proz.com membership, certified pro status and any other certificates and experience can all work together to create a good profile - which is important to attract GOOD clients, especially if there are fewer of them now than a few years ago.

My hunch is that clients equate being a member of two professional organisations with being expensive... which I am!

I wouldn't care what the bad clients think - if they do think that, then that's fine. Good clients will be able to appreciate membership in professional organizations. And I don't think that that's what causes you not to have good contacts. I am not an expert in profile design but I would change the slogan. It doesn't say anything positive about the service you provide. But that's just my impression.

I believe the people who get jobs through Proz charge low rates. There are exceptions, obviously. Some Italian colleagues have told me that they got very good clients through Proz at very good rates. But they worked in niche sectors.

There is some truth to your first sentence. But I believe the reason they charge low rates is what we should look at:

a) the cheap agencies are not willing to pay a lot if they find plenty of people who don't stand up for adequate rates.
b) who are the people who charge little? It's those who don't know any better. simple as that. As I have argued elsewhere, no one can exist on rates forever that don't pay the bills. But many don't know or don't care. Many probably think becoming a translator is worth a try and they do it for whatever low rate they get. But many will eventually be forced to give up but when they do, others will unfortunately pick up the slack.

So what about the possible poor quality of translations you might ask. Well, IMO therein lies a big problem. To be successful means you need to provide high-quality work and you need to charge adequate rates - and even Proz.com agrees with this - indirectly:

http://www.proz.com/professional-guidelines/
Professional guidelines for translation service providers

Professional translators and translation companies:
set their rates at levels that allow them to deliver, on an ongoing basis, the quality levels that their clients require.

If you provide quality work but sell yourself cheaply, you hurt yourself and the profession because you provide quality and sustain the possibility of agencies to get that quality for sub-standard rates. Just don't do that.

My advice to anyone is don't work for less than the rates published here:
http://search.proz.com/employers/rates

It's one sure strategy to start making it as a translator. Eventually, you should be able to charge more. Don't kid yourself believing you can sustain yourself through rock-bottom translation rates. You only let yourself be exploited until you are exhausted, physically, mentally, and financially.

To me, jobs-wise, Proz is a total waste of time...

Although I understand your frustration, I can't agree with that statement. There are many good translators represented here and they should, but we need to get the message out that professional service must be paid adequately.
I keep spreading the word because I believe it's one way to help the whole industry and to increase the good jobs negotiated through this portal.

B

[Edited at 2014-05-19 17:27 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lots of jobs (what kinds of jobs) being awarded through the translator directory

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »