Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Rates for Russian translations: what's your average?
Thread poster: Prima Vista
Prima Vista
Prima Vista
Russian Federation
Local time: 06:51
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's why I actually started this topic Jul 30, 2014

normann wrote:

'Our prices range from 0.03 to 0.08 Euros per word, depending on the language pair concerned, the complexity of the text and the urgency of the order.'

The information is pretty old and needs to be reconsidered. That's why I\m trying to find here something That's right, it's impossible for me to charge 0,03 Euro per word if I engage frelance translators for this work.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 03:51
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Who knows? Jul 30, 2014

I never get any response from East-European agencies after citing my rates. Nowadays when someone phones and starts the conversation like: "This is Ivan from Russia..." I routinely tell him I'm not available.

Dmytro Nazarenko

Prima Vista
Prima Vista
Russian Federation
Local time: 06:51
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How do I attach an anonymous survey to this topic? Jul 30, 2014

Does anyone know? I'd eagerly do that.

[Редактировалось 2014-07-30 06:13 GMT]

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:51
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Sure, I am free Jul 30, 2014

Sure, I am free to do that, Bernhard. The outcome of such choice is that most agencies remember free-rated translators only when a "really good quality" is needed. In such cases, no one discusses my rates, they accept and are happy that I agree to do the job.
Yet how many of routine translations do need really good quality?
So yes, it is my decision to have SOME income or NOT AT ALL.
And yes, I don't need to believe the UK agency but they don't need to assign translation jobs t
... See more
Sure, I am free to do that, Bernhard. The outcome of such choice is that most agencies remember free-rated translators only when a "really good quality" is needed. In such cases, no one discusses my rates, they accept and are happy that I agree to do the job.
Yet how many of routine translations do need really good quality?
So yes, it is my decision to have SOME income or NOT AT ALL.
And yes, I don't need to believe the UK agency but they don't need to assign translation jobs to me either. They have never done since I registered several years ago.
The other girl doesn't need to believe anything but she does need to feed her baby daughter.
So, this is our ego vs reality.
In all this ranting, let me not forget to thank you for the kind words and thoughtful advice - that is undoubtedly most important, after all!
Collapse

Alexandra Schneeuhr
Alexandra Schneeuhr  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 03:51
English to Russian
+ ...
Not sure... Aug 28, 2014

... how informative can be an arithmetical average. F.eg., one and the same customer pays me EUR0.08 per word for standard texts and EUR0.50 per word for translating labels for a certain UK brand. Does it mean that my average with this client is EUR0.29? I wish it were

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:51
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
comment on rates' scheme Sep 1, 2014

Without entering into general price levels, may I suggest to colleagues to consider this example, because the simple method to explain something, is by giving examples:

A translation job is received on per word price basis at 0.07 EUR

Next job from the same client, concerns proofing or revision, and the job is prices on hourly basis, 15 € per hour. As though a reviewer works for the same tariff but on larger volumes. Because, in one hour a reviewer passes through 2x,
... See more
Without entering into general price levels, may I suggest to colleagues to consider this example, because the simple method to explain something, is by giving examples:

A translation job is received on per word price basis at 0.07 EUR

Next job from the same client, concerns proofing or revision, and the job is prices on hourly basis, 15 € per hour. As though a reviewer works for the same tariff but on larger volumes. Because, in one hour a reviewer passes through 2x, 3x, 4x, larger volumes of words.
So, why this larger volume in one single unit of time, shouldn't or COULDN'T be counted on at least 2x tariff of translation work?
It has to be valued as a higher production.
So, a translator charges 0.07 euros/word, and produces about 300 words in an hour = 21 euros.
A reviewer controls 600-900-1200 words in an hour.
Of course that if a reviewer asks for 42 euros/hour, that the client will like to insert to him much more than a mere double (2 x 300 words per hour of translation), will tolerate some less hours than a reviewer asks for. Then a reviewer can boldly estimate the possibilities, and, for example, accept 900 words/hour.

The quoted rates contain an absurd calculation, I dare say so, from the merely arithmetical point of view. As we all know that in one hour a translator CAN and should produce about 300 of finalized text, i.e. fully controlled and guaranteed.
If a translator wants to be aligned with what I am saying above, and wants to maintain 15 €/hour, then word price should be 0.035 €!!! So, this is impossible.
Then, what is possible and very feasible?
An increase of the hourly rate.
FULL STOP.

Andriy Bublikov wrote:

http://search.proz.com/employers/rates

The rates from your own profile:
English to Azerbaijani - Standard rate: 0.07 EUR per word / 15 EUR per hour
[/quote]
Collapse

Hanna Sles (X)
Hanna Sles (X)
United States
Local time: 04:51
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Translation rates Jul 1, 2018

Translation rates are like the prices for paintings. No way to make them fixed. There are paintings which are sold for 100usd, there are which are sold for 1000000 usd. The artists set the price according to their talent, skills, knowledge, experience, costs, the country they live in. Same thing with translators.

I provide website translation services. My rates are high. But my customers make never-ending investments into my services. Before localizing each project, I always carry o
... See more
Translation rates are like the prices for paintings. No way to make them fixed. There are paintings which are sold for 100usd, there are which are sold for 1000000 usd. The artists set the price according to their talent, skills, knowledge, experience, costs, the country they live in. Same thing with translators.

I provide website translation services. My rates are high. But my customers make never-ending investments into my services. Before localizing each project, I always carry out keyword research and competitive analysis. Sometimes it turns out that the products of my customers are not in demand in the Russian-speaking markets, and I recommend them not to invest into website localization.

The localized keywords mean keywords which the target audience is using while search the web looking for similar products. Quite often translated keywords are not the words which the target audience is using. Therefore it is necessary to localize them properly, find the right keywords which will bring new traffic and sales to the customers. Check my website Russian website translation and localization.

Translation is like any kind of art. No standards.
Collapse

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 20:51
English to Russian
+ ...
For the life of me - what is the purpose? Jul 2, 2018

I could see a reason for providing a range of rates to a specific customer for a specific project, but not for the entire market. What is the average temperature in the hospital between a morgue and a yellow fever ward?

In fact, such surveys can be extremely damaging and counterproductive because there will always be some smartpants who would try to bring my rates down based on the "average or available "market"" rates collected and published by God knows whom (present company exclu
... See more
I could see a reason for providing a range of rates to a specific customer for a specific project, but not for the entire market. What is the average temperature in the hospital between a morgue and a yellow fever ward?

In fact, such surveys can be extremely damaging and counterproductive because there will always be some smartpants who would try to bring my rates down based on the "average or available "market"" rates collected and published by God knows whom (present company excluded). We can't create Kelly Blue Book for our trade.

My hair stylist can always refer me to the dozens of Cheap Cuts or Supercuts or whatever those places are called, should I try to offer her the results of the "average cost survey". Supercut prices would drop the "average market rates" substantially in any survey.

Of course, in the back of our minds we do have certain "average" numbers that come with experience, and the best of us do not to cut off our own legs by offering less or, at least, substantially less than the seasoned colleagues in the same niche usually do. In other words, do not dump not to be dumped in return, or lose the most priceless source of work - word-of-mouth within a strong well-fed professional community, which is especially important for the high-end interpreters who often need trusted partners. However, this is something every person has to learn through his own experience. This is an insider information. Initial data is already widely available.

[Edited at 2018-07-02 17:58 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for Russian translations: what's your average?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »