Takako Kimura-Ude  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 14:31
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Sep 13, 2014

Hello.

There is one outsourcer for whom I worked in April-May who wouldn't pay. He contacted me via ProZ, and during a period of 2-3 weeks, he successively sent me 8 projects. All were urgent, or so he claimed, and in the meantime he sent me one PO and promised to "pay next week", so I unsuspectedly did all the work. There were also some proofreaders and other translators involved, and he also sent me comments that the clients were satisfied with my job.

And then, noth
... See more
Hello.

There is one outsourcer for whom I worked in April-May who wouldn't pay. He contacted me via ProZ, and during a period of 2-3 weeks, he successively sent me 8 projects. All were urgent, or so he claimed, and in the meantime he sent me one PO and promised to "pay next week", so I unsuspectedly did all the work. There were also some proofreaders and other translators involved, and he also sent me comments that the clients were satisfied with my job.

And then, nothing. I sent him invoice twice, to which there was absolutely no answer. Now on Blueboard, I noticed there are two evaluations for 1, so I think this was done on purpose from the beginning: exploit one (naive) translator for a short period of time and then disappear. When I first started working for him, there were no evaluations on Blueboard, so I didn't suspect anything. This outsourcer claims to have his office in the same town that I live, so I went to see the location, but of course nothing. The first email sent to me turned out to have been sent from Ireland (we checked the IP address).

Now I added my own comment on Blueboard about this outsourcer. I learned an expensive lesson and believe I should be more on guard in the future to accept jobs. I hope nobody else would be exploited in this manner.
Collapse

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:31
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
agreements Sep 13, 2014

Have you signed any agreements?

Takako Kimura-Ude
Slovenia
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No agreement Sep 13, 2014

Actually, no. It was one of these 'dear colleagues....' mails that I turned down three times. At the fourth request, I did the stupid thing to accept.

With most clients from western countries I did indeed sign agreements before beginning to work with them, but coming from a country where exchanging contract is not as common, I hadn't given that much thought to the matter (but this outsourcer in question is not my compatriot: he is from western country, or so I think). If this is the
... See more
Actually, no. It was one of these 'dear colleagues....' mails that I turned down three times. At the fourth request, I did the stupid thing to accept.

With most clients from western countries I did indeed sign agreements before beginning to work with them, but coming from a country where exchanging contract is not as common, I hadn't given that much thought to the matter (but this outsourcer in question is not my compatriot: he is from western country, or so I think). If this is the norm, replying to these 'dear colleagues' mass mail (which always has very short deadline) is surely a big risk!
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:31
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Have you checked the scam forum? Sep 13, 2014

http://www.proz.com/forum/scams-946.html

There's a scam alert centre here where you can repor scams and receive notifications: http://www.proz.com/about/translator-scam-alerts/

It does sound rather as though you've been scammed, I'm afraid. I hope that isn't the
... See more
http://www.proz.com/forum/scams-946.html

There's a scam alert centre here where you can repor scams and receive notifications: http://www.proz.com/about/translator-scam-alerts/

It does sound rather as though you've been scammed, I'm afraid. I hope that isn't the case.
Collapse

Thomas Rebotier
Thomas Rebotier  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:31
English to French
end clients traceable? Sep 14, 2014

After you exhaust all other possibilities, and having given a reasonible time to react, I think it is fair to contact the end client. You can almost always know who that is by googling the right bits of phrases from the source.

Takako Kimura-Ude
Slovenia
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 17, 2014

Sheila, thank you for your reply.
I didn't know the existence of this scam forum, and I have bookmarked it now. The outsourcer in question is not on the list, but as it turns out, he is using gmail, so it may be that he is changing name constantly to find new victim translators. In the future, I will be more careful before taking up new job offers from unknown outsourcers. I will think about reporting my case too.

Thank you Thomas for your suggestion.
Yes, I will consi
... See more
Sheila, thank you for your reply.
I didn't know the existence of this scam forum, and I have bookmarked it now. The outsourcer in question is not on the list, but as it turns out, he is using gmail, so it may be that he is changing name constantly to find new victim translators. In the future, I will be more careful before taking up new job offers from unknown outsourcers. I will think about reporting my case too.

Thank you Thomas for your suggestion.
Yes, I will consider doing that too.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No payment, apparently done succevely

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »