rates - translation of a software
Thread poster: MillaSol
MillaSol
MillaSol
United States
English to Portuguese
Sep 22, 2014

Hello,

I'm a recent translator and I have a couple of questions regarding the translation of a software. I've received a request to quote a translation of this software from English into Portuguese. It is basically about psychological questions to the clients of this company. It seams that it would take me around 250 hrs to do it and the deadline is December. It is around 100.000 words (35/ 40 pages).

I'm wondering if it's usual to charge per hour, per word or per page
... See more
Hello,

I'm a recent translator and I have a couple of questions regarding the translation of a software. I've received a request to quote a translation of this software from English into Portuguese. It is basically about psychological questions to the clients of this company. It seams that it would take me around 250 hrs to do it and the deadline is December. It is around 100.000 words (35/ 40 pages).

I'm wondering if it's usual to charge per hour, per word or per page. I've heard that U$0.10/ word is reasonable. Also, I'd like to know if it's usual to sign a contract between the translator and the company that requests the service.

They asked me to find a proofreader. In this case, should I pay the proofreader or it should be the company's responsibility?

Thank you,

M.A.
Collapse

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:38
French to German
+ ...
How I would handle the project Sep 22, 2014

Hello,

concerning translation (except for literature and transcreation) I propose a rate per word. I think this is the most frequent.

I send an offer (with all details: project, deadline, files...) and the customers signs it and sends it back. I also ask most customers to pay 30 % of the costs before starting. For very big projects like yours I deliver a part of the translation, e. g. 30 000 words, wait to get paid for it, do the next 30 000 words etc.

When
... See more
Hello,

concerning translation (except for literature and transcreation) I propose a rate per word. I think this is the most frequent.

I send an offer (with all details: project, deadline, files...) and the customers signs it and sends it back. I also ask most customers to pay 30 % of the costs before starting. For very big projects like yours I deliver a part of the translation, e. g. 30 000 words, wait to get paid for it, do the next 30 000 words etc.

When I am working with a proofreader I normally pay her/him as well. But of course it's possible as well to help the company find a proofreader and the company deals with the proofreader directly. I prefer to work with the proofreader directly though and handle the whole project myself. For 100 000 word to be proofread and paid it's quite an amount though. So personally I would be aware to have the money of the company before because if ever they do not pay or pay late you will be in trouble.

For fees you can find the average fees your colleagues charge on searching a bit on ProZ.
Collapse

MillaSol
MillaSol
United States
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Andrea Halbritter Sep 22, 2014

Thank you so much Andrea Halbritter, your response was very helpful for me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

rates - translation of a software

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »