EU translation and interpretatin rates for Arabic (Egypt)
Thread poster: Grace Shalhoub
Grace Shalhoub
Grace Shalhoub  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:16
French to English
+ ...
Nov 21, 2014

Dear fellow translators and interpreters,

I would like to share information regarding interpretation and translation rates suggested by the UE as part of its framework agreement with European engineering consulting firms (such as my employer).

"• Translation/interpretation
Translation from/to Arabic indicatively costs EUR 7.50 per page and interpretation from English to Arabic and vice versa indicatively costs EUR 140/day".

It seems to me pretty lo
... See more
Dear fellow translators and interpreters,

I would like to share information regarding interpretation and translation rates suggested by the UE as part of its framework agreement with European engineering consulting firms (such as my employer).

"• Translation/interpretation
Translation from/to Arabic indicatively costs EUR 7.50 per page and interpretation from English to Arabic and vice versa indicatively costs EUR 140/day".

It seems to me pretty low although I do not work in this language pair (Arabic-English). Translation/Interpretation to be done in Egypt.
Translation is always required under these contracts, but it's the first time the UE has provided indicative rates... What do you think?

Grace

[Modifié le 2014-11-21 20:34 GMT]
Collapse

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:16
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Rate Information Nov 22, 2014

Dear Grace,

First of all, the rate of EUR 7.50 per page is pretty vague. What do they really mean by "page"? The only rate information that makes sense to me is the one given per word. I am an engineer. I know exactly why they specify rate per page. That is to manipulate the interpreter as much as they can.

Have you checked the rates under Community Rates that is under the Tools menu in ProZ? I would do that first. The same goes for interpretation. I also have n
... See more
Dear Grace,

First of all, the rate of EUR 7.50 per page is pretty vague. What do they really mean by "page"? The only rate information that makes sense to me is the one given per word. I am an engineer. I know exactly why they specify rate per page. That is to manipulate the interpreter as much as they can.

Have you checked the rates under Community Rates that is under the Tools menu in ProZ? I would do that first. The same goes for interpretation. I also have no idea what the rates are for this language pair. However, I can tell you that the rates are abused so much by the translation agencies in Turkey that I wonder how they are able to find translators.

Best of luck.
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
That sounds extremely low. Nov 22, 2014

And in my experience, which was a long time ago, the EU institutions pay very well.

Grace Shalhoub
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I do not need to know the exact rates Nov 22, 2014

ATIL KAYHAN wrote:

Dear Grace,

Have you checked the rates under Community Rates that is under the Tools menu in ProZ? I would do that first. The same goes for interpretation. I also have no idea what the rates are for this language pair. However, I can tell you that the rates are abused so much by the translation agencies in Turkey that I wonder how they are able to find translators.

Best of luck.

Hi Atil,
I copied the text as written in the tender. "Page" is a page of a report, and no further definition is given.
I do not need to know the translation of interpretation rates, as we are not proceeding with this tender anyways. But in case we did, we would have been obliged to abide by this rate to translate our reports into Arabic...

As I deal with EU tenders on a daily basis, I was shocked that they fixed a rate, and that the rate was as low. As the translator of the company, I do my best to raise awareness on translation rates and make sure this profession is respected.

Grace Shalhoub
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I was aware that they cut down engineering consulting fees... Nov 22, 2014

philgoddard wrote:

And in my experience, which was a long time ago, the EU institutions pay very well.

The EU has very low consulting fees (around €400 less per day for a senior expert than the average French market). It seems that translation is following the same path...

The sad part is that EU tenders work on a global fees basis, which means that in case the real cost of translation into and from Arabic is much higher than €7.5/page (and I believe it is), it would have to be borne by the engineering firms, i.e. losing money. This is disappoiting.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

EU translation and interpretatin rates for Arabic (Egypt)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »