Thread poster: mek0n
mek0n
mek0n  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:55
Member (2014)
German to English
Mar 26, 2015

I've been with the same bank in Germany for maybe 25 years now and stayed with them after I moved back to the UK. I moved a few times within the UK and my address changes and so on started really easy and are now getting more complicated with the bank.

I now have a double-barrelled surname (for sake of argument, Smith-Jones) and only when I returned to the UK did my surname change (for family reasons) from Smith to Smith-Jones [please no Alias Smith and Jones jokes, thank you]. Now
... See more
I've been with the same bank in Germany for maybe 25 years now and stayed with them after I moved back to the UK. I moved a few times within the UK and my address changes and so on started really easy and are now getting more complicated with the bank.

I now have a double-barrelled surname (for sake of argument, Smith-Jones) and only when I returned to the UK did my surname change (for family reasons) from Smith to Smith-Jones [please no Alias Smith and Jones jokes, thank you]. Now the bank checking the notifications of a change of address which include a photocopy of my passport has only just noticed this as my passport says Smith-Jones.

This is (part of) what they wrote: Bitte beachten Sie, dass Sie ihre neue Unterschrift in einer international tätigen Bank legitimieren müssen. Das gleiche gilt für eine bestätigte Kopie Ihres Ausweises.

We're a lot looser with names here in the UK but I'm at a loss about how to do this 'legitimation' (BTW I don't have a bank in the UK).

Anyone have any ideas?

Mekon
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No we're not Mar 26, 2015

mek0n wrote:

.....We're a lot looser with names here in the UK....

Don't be so sure. If your name isn't exactly the same on all documents, voter registration card, driving licence, passport, etc etc things can be very nasty, for example if you book a flight and the name of the person on the credit card used to pay for it is not exactly the same as the name on the passport of the person checking in. And so on.

I would advise you to decide what your name is and make sure it's exactly the same everywhere.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 10:55
Danish to English
+ ...
Go to the bank in Germany and sign Mar 26, 2015

Wouldn't that be the simplest and most obvious thing to do?

Pop across the channel, go to your bank or any branch of the same bank, sign whatever is required, pop back home...

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
That's what I would do... Mar 26, 2015

Gitte Hovedskov, MCIL wrote:

Wouldn't that be the simplest and most obvious thing to do?

Pop across the channel, go to your bank or any branch of the same bank, sign whatever is required, pop back home...

... or a notary could check your identity and witness the signature, stating that this person also uses this and that name.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
They need evidence of the change, not just the new name, I think Mar 26, 2015

mek0n wrote:
Now the bank checking the notifications of a change of address which include a photocopy of my passport has only just noticed this as my passport says Smith-Jones.

I don't think it's particularly a UK vs elsewhere problem but more one that banks are really having to tighten up on their checks. It's particularly difficult to manage across countries, of course. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have to close my UK and/or French bank account. I'm sure the day will come.

So I don't think it's enough to show them the new name. You say your name's different on your passport now. How did that get done? Did you send them your marriage certificate to substantiate your claim to use the two names? Or did they change it just on the basis of your request? Whatever, a copy of that change request is probably what the bank needs - if it was good enough for a new passport, it will probably be good enough for them. Or maybe the passport office can provide a bit of paper saying why they were happy to change from A to B.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 04:55
Romanian to English
+ ...
Sorry, Tom Mar 27, 2015

”Don't be so sure. If your name isn't exactly the same on all documents, voter registration card, driving licence, passport, etc etc things can be very nasty, for example if you book a flight and the name of the person on the credit card used to pay for it is not exactly the same as the name on the passport of the person checking in. And so on.”

My wife kept her maiden name and I buy her airplane tickets. Never encountered any problem; same for my daughter. My nam
... See more
”Don't be so sure. If your name isn't exactly the same on all documents, voter registration card, driving licence, passport, etc etc things can be very nasty, for example if you book a flight and the name of the person on the credit card used to pay for it is not exactly the same as the name on the passport of the person checking in. And so on.”

My wife kept her maiden name and I buy her airplane tickets. Never encountered any problem; same for my daughter. My name is on the credit card and their names on the ticket.

I changed the name myself in the USA and I sent everybody (banks, utilities etc) some old picture IDs with the old name and picture IDs with my new name + a short explanatory paragraph.

[Edited at 2015-03-27 05:20 GMT]
Collapse

mek0n
mek0n  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe I didn't make myself clear... Mar 27, 2015

This is what my bank wrote:
Anliegend erhalten Sie [...] unseren vorbereiteten Stammvertrag mit der Bitte um Prüfung, Unterschrift und Rückgabe an uns. Bitte beachten Sie, dass Sie ihre neue Unterschrift in einer international tätigen Bank legitimieren müssen. Das gleiche gilt für eine bestätigte Kopie Ihres Ausweises.

I want to know precisely how I can do this *in the UK* (without 'popping' anywhere) / what the bank means exactly / if anyone has any experience of doing
... See more
Anliegend erhalten Sie [...] unseren vorbereiteten Stammvertrag mit der Bitte um Prüfung, Unterschrift und Rückgabe an uns. Bitte beachten Sie, dass Sie ihre neue Unterschrift in einer international tätigen Bank legitimieren müssen. Das gleiche gilt für eine bestätigte Kopie Ihres Ausweises.

I want to know precisely how I can do this *in the UK* (without 'popping' anywhere) / what the bank means exactly / if anyone has any experience of doing this sort of thing / would a notary be a good idea, as Teresa suggests

I suppose I can be pleased in stimulating a thread about aspects of name-changing throughout the world but I would *really* appreciate some relevant answers

Mekon
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
What did the bank say? Mar 27, 2015

mek0n wrote:

Anliegend erhalten Sie
seren vorbereiteten Stammvertrag mit der Bitte um Prüfung, Unterschrift und Rückgabe an uns. Bitte beachten Sie, dass Sie ihre neue Unterschrift in einer international tätigen Bank legitimieren müssen. Das gleiche gilt für eine bestätigte Kopie Ihres Ausweises[/quote]
Unless you only want help from German speakers it would be handy to have a translation.

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Specimen signature form? Mar 27, 2015

Are you with a British bank as well? If so, I'd just ask in my local branch and they might be able to explain and to legitimate/verify your signature.

What it means (I think) is simply a confirmation that your signature is indeed yours. In the same way that when you open an account with any bank you'll have to sign a specimen signature form for the bank to verify that it is your signature (and for them to have your signature on file).

[Edited at 2015-03-27 09:16 GMT]

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:55
French to English
Call your bank Mar 27, 2015

Perhaps the best way to find out exactly what they need is to call them. Ask them who their partner banks are in the UK, and go to one of those partner banks to get the paperwork done.

By the way, has your signature actually changed? If you're still using your old signature that is on record at the bank, maybe you don't need to do this. It's not because your name changes that your signature has to change.

With my bank in the US, I had a signature issue a while back. I
... See more
Perhaps the best way to find out exactly what they need is to call them. Ask them who their partner banks are in the UK, and go to one of those partner banks to get the paperwork done.

By the way, has your signature actually changed? If you're still using your old signature that is on record at the bank, maybe you don't need to do this. It's not because your name changes that your signature has to change.

With my bank in the US, I had a signature issue a while back. I've had that bank account since I was a young girl, and I must have signed all the paperwork "way back when" with whatever signature I used when I was 12 or 13... later on when I got married, my name changed, and I provided the information the bank needed to update my name on my account. I'm not sure why, but I never updated my signature card... and it was never a problem until recently. Indeed, I have been using a different signature for many years now. It was easy to sort out with a visit to my bank.
Collapse

mek0n
mek0n  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Thomas and Lori in particular ... Mar 27, 2015

... for good relevant advice

Mekon

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Legitimating my signature in the UK for a German bank

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »