Current Subtitling Rates
Thread poster: R.Yuli
R.Yuli
R.Yuli
Local time: 00:35
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Apr 17, 2015

Hi, guys, I would like to know the decent rates for subtitling nowadays. "Subtitling" means transcription, translation, and making subtitle files. I have read some posts about this but they have been out of date. So please kindly tell me the current rate used by international agency. Thank you.

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:35
Member (2013)
English to Russian
- Apr 17, 2015

R.Yuli wrote:

Hi, guys, I would like to know the decent rates for subtitling nowadays. "Subtitling" means transcription, translation, and making subtitle files. I have read some posts about this but they have been out of date. So please kindly tell me the current rate used by international agency. Thank you.

The rates vary widely depending on the language pair you're working in. For professional subtitling in English>Russian the rates start from $2.00/min for transcription, $7.00/min for translation, and I'm not sure what you mean by "making subtitle files".

But for you language pair (which sells like hot cakes currently) the rates will be completely different.

R.Yuli
R.Yuli
Local time: 00:35
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More about the subtitle file and language pair Apr 17, 2015

Max Deryagin wrote:

R.Yuli wrote:

The rates vary widely depending on the language pair you're working in. For professional subtitling in English>Russian the rates start from $2.00/min for transcription, $7.00/min for translation, and I'm not sure what you mean by "making subtitle files".

But for you language pair (which sells like hot cakes currently) the rates will be completely different.

What I mean by "making subtitle files" is making the subtitle text inside the video. I don't know what it's called, though, since I am kind of new in this thing. I read somewhere that it is charged separatedly. Or not? By the way, which language pair that "sells like hotcakes currently"? Is English-Indonesian included? Please elaborate. Thank you.

Tracy Mackay
Tracy Mackay  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 13:35
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Subtitling rates , ENG-SPA May 5, 2015

Hi everyone,

I can´t seem to find current information on this issue, but I would like to know the currents rates for subtitling in the English - Spanish pair. For example, how much would you charge for a 60 minute video?

Thanks so much!

Tracy

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
Know the work involved May 5, 2015

Tracy Mackay wrote:

Hi everyone,

I can´t seem to find current information on this issue, but I would like to know the currents rates for subtitling in the English - Spanish pair. For example, how much would you charge for a 60 minute video?

Thanks so much!

Tracy

Whatever rates people suggest to you, don't go by that. You need to know how much work it involves. You shouldn't be working on 400 words per minute and get paid peanuts. You'll have to work with the video as well. Going back and forth and see and hear it again and again, even if you get the original script. For starters, if you've never dome this, I recommend accepting a short project so you can get an idea of how much work it involves. Never quote without having seen the video and (if available) the transcript of the original and know exactly what the client expects.

You can't just follow someone's advice who says charge 5 Euros per minute. How many words are spoken in each minute?
If you were simply translating a text (without time restrictions for the screen), let's say at 15 Euros per word, 200 words per minute (low word estimate), it would already cost 30 Euros. But subtitling is different work.

Don't work for cheap because a lot of other people do it. My two cents.

Here are a few links to discussions on the topic:

http://www.proz.com/forum/subtitling/283471-ask_me_anything_about_subtitling-page2.html

[quote]Andriy Bublikov

http://www.proz.com/forum/subtitling/52756-[subtitling_rates]_per_minute_rates.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/271439-subtitling_rates.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/227905-what_is_a_reasonable_rate_for_translating_subtitles.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/subtitling/255043-advice_on_subtitling_rates.html

[Edited at 2015-05-06 00:45 GMT]

Verena Vega Arsti Puruhita

Raminta P.
Raminta P.
Lithuania
Local time: 20:35
Lithuanian to English
+ ...
Rates of video translation Jul 18, 2015

Hi everyone,

I am completely new in translation business (a recent graduate). I've been recently offered a translation that includes Monolingual Caption (LIT>LIT) as well as video translation (EN->LIT). However, I am asked to indicate my rates per minute. Would you be so kind and give me an insight about what could the possible rates be? I understand that it's very individual, but, on the other hand, as a person with almost no experience I cannot ask for "too much", and neither do I
... See more
Hi everyone,

I am completely new in translation business (a recent graduate). I've been recently offered a translation that includes Monolingual Caption (LIT>LIT) as well as video translation (EN->LIT). However, I am asked to indicate my rates per minute. Would you be so kind and give me an insight about what could the possible rates be? I understand that it's very individual, but, on the other hand, as a person with almost no experience I cannot ask for "too much", and neither do I want to be sitting 16 hours a day in front of a computer, getting paid very little...

Thank you in advance.
Raminta
Collapse

Bernhard Sulzer
United States
English to German
+ ...
Steps Jul 19, 2015

Raminta P. wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am completely new in translation business (a recent graduate). I've been recently offered a translation that includes Monolingual Caption (LIT>LIT) as well as video translation (EN->LIT). However, I am asked to indicate my rates per minute. Would you be so kind and give me an insight about what could the possible rates be? I understand that it's very individual, but, on the other hand, as a person with almost no experience I cannot ask for "too much", and neither do I want to be sitting 16 hours a day in front of a computer, getting paid very little...

Thank you in advance.
Raminta

Hi Raminta, did the prospective client send you the video for review?

Bernhard Sulzer
United States
English to German
+ ...
Correction Jul 19, 2015

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

You can't just follow someone's advice who says charge 5 Euros per minute. How many words are spoken in each minute?
If you were simply translating a text (without time restrictions for the screen), let's say at 15 Euros per word, 200 words per minute (low word estimate), it would already cost 30 Euros. But subtitling is different work.

I meant to write 15 Cents per word above. For 200 words per minute, that would be $30 (USD)

Raminta P.
Raminta P.
Lithuania
Local time: 20:35
Lithuanian to English
+ ...
Wonder if it's a "reasonable" price... Jul 20, 2015

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

I meant to write 15 Cents per word above. For 200 words per minute, that would be $30 (USD)

Thanks for answering. No "sample video" was sent to me: it was just defined as a long-term project, and I was actually offered $2 for captioning and $4 for translation (minute rate). I wonder if this is at least "reasonable" price. However, as I've mentioned before, I have no experience in video translations, so it could be a good opportunity to gain new skills.

Bernhard Sulzer
United States
English to German
+ ...
Reply Jul 20, 2015

Raminta P. wrote:

Thanks for answering. No "sample video" was sent to me: it was just defined as a long-term project, and I was actually offered $2 for captioning and $4 for translation (minute rate). I wonder if this is at least "reasonable" price. However, as I've mentioned before, I have no experience in video translations, so it could be a good opportunity to gain new skills.

The phrase "long-term project" and the fact that "no sample video" was received are two indicators that what is offered is not adequate. I recommend that you ask them for the actual video for the project, and that you familiarize yourself with all the work that's required. Then you can estimate at least how long it is going to take you. With that in mind, you can quote. But it seems that they expect you to work for a pittance. We are all flexible with our rates and prices, but I am sure you have a limit to how low you can and/or should go. Just my thoughts.

[Edited at 2015-07-21 00:00 GMT]

Maria Alvarez-Cienfuegos
Penelope Morris

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Post being quoted, has been removed.
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Post being replied to, has been removed.
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Post being replied to, has been removed.
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Current Subtitling Rates

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »