Emaleu Nemaleu Flore
Emaleu Nemaleu Flore  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:53
English to French
+ ...
Apr 17, 2015

Dear Colleagues,

I might land my first job as a language tester and I which to know how much I should charge per hour.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:53
French to German
+ ...
Normal hourly rate Apr 17, 2015

Hello,

I estimate how much time the job will take me and then charge my normal hourly rate.

It's important though to know before what is all included in the job (e. g. do you have to actually invent the tests yourself or not...).

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:53
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Full-time employment or short-term assignment? Apr 17, 2015

For a short-term assignment, I agree with Andrea. There's no point accepting any less than you would otherwise earn. However, if you will be employed, you will need to weigh it up against other benefits.

What sort of language testing are you talking about?

I tested applicants' language skills for multilingual vacancies back in 2002 and got approx. 15k pro rata. I don't think that has changed much, it will still be below 20k in the UK (around GBP 10 per hour???).
... See more
For a short-term assignment, I agree with Andrea. There's no point accepting any less than you would otherwise earn. However, if you will be employed, you will need to weigh it up against other benefits.

What sort of language testing are you talking about?

I tested applicants' language skills for multilingual vacancies back in 2002 and got approx. 15k pro rata. I don't think that has changed much, it will still be below 20k in the UK (around GBP 10 per hour???).

I believe language/localisation testers for games are in a similar region, largely below 20k, but "serious" software providers may pay more. I got about GBP 20/hour to test a language learning software from a cash-strapped start-up a few years ago, and that was around 200 hours of work to complete according to my own schedule.

In academia or public service, rates are also likely to be higher.

Of course, the situation may be very different in your country.
Collapse

Emaleu Nemaleu Flore
Emaleu Nemaleu Flore  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:53
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 17, 2015

Thanks a lot for your answers Diana and Andrea.

You have really throw more light on what I should do.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rate for language testing

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »