Thread poster: Jeff Whittaker
Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:15
Italian to English
Translatorrs Apr 21, 2015

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

...whose name we are not allowed to mention, where there are thousands of "translators" who will Google translate (and possibly briefly edit?) 1000 words for $5.00 (or 0.005 cents a word).

I've thought about posting an ad on that site and saying "I'll translate ten words for [that famous amount]" just to see what happens.

But really, no professional should be offering ANYTHING for [that famous amount].

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
We pay $0.05 a word - like it or lump it Apr 24, 2015

Imo that's what made this particular lowball offer stand out. It was the attitude expressed by outsourcer. I can imagine they charged the client at least 4 or 5 times that amount for the rush job.
No matter how low or insulting the offer, it seems that there are always colleagues who are willing to bid. PT Barnum would have loved this site.

Marie-Helene Dubois
Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:15
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I replied. Apr 24, 2015

Just to annoy them. I wrote: "this is me not replying".
I hope they have to rifle through thousands of e-mails like that.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:15
German to English
+ ...
I received it also Apr 26, 2015

I received the same email as Jeff, on 20th of April. For your possible interest, it also said the following (Jeff may have omitted this part to save space):

"Project is in Word format so you can use CAT (we also have an online CAT platform). No discounts for repetitions. "

Instead of replying, I "deleted" the email which therefore went into my "Trash" folder; in my ISP's webmail system (Squirrelmail) this is a temporary holding folder in which (unlike the Inbox) emails
... See more
I received the same email as Jeff, on 20th of April. For your possible interest, it also said the following (Jeff may have omitted this part to save space):

"Project is in Word format so you can use CAT (we also have an online CAT platform). No discounts for repetitions. "

Instead of replying, I "deleted" the email which therefore went into my "Trash" folder; in my ISP's webmail system (Squirrelmail) this is a temporary holding folder in which (unlike the Inbox) emails can really be deleted. I usually keep "deleted" emails there for a time and then really delete them.

Oliver

[Edited at 2015-04-26 21:10 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I replied anyway

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »