Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:28
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 20, 2015

Received today from translation agency in the U.S.

"Hi there,

We need a French - English translator for the project that is due tonight at 11:59 GMT. we actually have 2 files: one is 2500 words and one is 3500 words.

The rate we can offer is 0.05 USD per word (if the rate doesn't work for you, please do not reply).

I look forward to your reply.

Please include link to your Proz."

I replied anyway:

... See more
Received today from translation agency in the U.S.

"Hi there,

We need a French - English translator for the project that is due tonight at 11:59 GMT. we actually have 2 files: one is 2500 words and one is 3500 words.

The rate we can offer is 0.05 USD per word (if the rate doesn't work for you, please do not reply).

I look forward to your reply.

Please include link to your Proz."

I replied anyway:

"Is this a joke?"

[UPDATE: The company has 40 five ratings on the BlueBoard - all created within the past two months and all of the translators leaving the rating have a reciprocal rating from the agency on their profile.]

[Edited at 2015-04-20 16:53 GMT]
Collapse

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:28
German to English
+ ...
Been there, done that Apr 20, 2015

I had a similar request once, but the word count was actually over 10,000 words. I literally laughed out loud.

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The difference is that they want to send out... Apr 20, 2015

a ridiculous offer to thousands of translators and not have to weed through all the negative replies they know they are going to get. Sorry, I think the email will have the opposite effect.

Start by paying a decent rate and you won't have to scramble to find translators for every job.

Once the U.S. minimum wage goes up from $8.00 to $15.00 an hour (with health insurance and 50% of your social security tax paid by the employer), these types of agencies may have real dif
... See more
a ridiculous offer to thousands of translators and not have to weed through all the negative replies they know they are going to get. Sorry, I think the email will have the opposite effect.

Start by paying a decent rate and you won't have to scramble to find translators for every job.

Once the U.S. minimum wage goes up from $8.00 to $15.00 an hour (with health insurance and 50% of your social security tax paid by the employer), these types of agencies may have real difficulty finding freelancers willing to work for so little. (2,000 words x .05 = $100.00 before taxes) ($15.00 x 8 hours at McDonalds = $120.00 with 50% taxes paid by the employer plus other benefits).

Angela Rimmer wrote:

I had a similar request once, but the word count was actually over 10,000 words. I literally laughed out loud.

[Edited at 2015-04-20 17:04 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Blue Board Apr 20, 2015

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

[UPDATE: The company has 40 five ratings on the BlueBoard - all created within the past two months and all of the translators leaving the rating have a reciprocal rating from the agency on their profile.]

I think I know how that happens. It doesn't require much imagination.

[Edited at 2015-04-20 17:05 GMT]

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Apr 20, 2015

[Edited at 2015-04-20 17:25 GMT]

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
I have to say... Apr 20, 2015

I got this as well. While it didn't waste too much of my time, this is why I sometimes think it ought to be possible to leave Blueboard entries when we get spammed by agencies...

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Or perhaps... Apr 20, 2015

.. a method to opt-out of receiving bulk translation offers under twelve cents a word.

Neil Coffey wrote:

I got this as well. While it didn't waste too much of my time, this is why I sometimes think it ought to be possible to leave Blueboard entries when we get spammed by agencies...

[Edited at 2015-04-21 13:25 GMT]

Natalie Soper
Natalie Soper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Who are these people Apr 21, 2015

I'm still a newbie to the translation game and keep seeing these job postings for 5000-10,000 words to be completed by the same day for such a small rate. My question is: are the people who reply to these job offers sharing the work out, using Google Translate, or genuinely just superhuman? It's hard to see who's pulling whose leg sometimes!

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Google Translate Apr 21, 2015

Natalie Soper wrote:
\My question is: are the people who reply to these job offers sharing the work out, using Google Translate

Let's put it this way: they may as well use Google Translate.

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
For 0.05 I will be happy to... Apr 21, 2015

Run your translation through Google Translate and return the unedited result

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
I received the same message Apr 21, 2015

I can't help wishing I could have a look at the finished product, to see what kind of quality they get for the money.

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
There is a website... Apr 21, 2015

...whose name we are not allowed to mention, where there are thousands of "translators" who will Google translate (and possibly briefly edit?) 1000 words for $5.00 (or 0.005 cents a word).

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 17:28
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Same message-same deadline Apr 21, 2015

I didn't bother replying. Besides the rate, the deadlines bugged me. How can they expect a serious translator to translate that stuff in such a short time? 2,500 or 3,500 without knowing what type of text this is or format. No thanks, not worth a reply. Mass emails I think. 'Don't bother to reply if rate does not suit' Not only rate but also deadlines.

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Apr 21, 2015

[duplicate post]

[Edited at 2015-04-21 13:35 GMT]

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is due to the fear of losing business... Apr 21, 2015

.., because of the proliferation of people undercutting one another. To us, a rush job is a lot of work and an inconvenience. To the middleman, it's just another project and more income, so there's no advantage to negotiating a deadline and no reason to ever turn down a project.

1990:
Client: I have 20,000 words to translate.
Agency A: That will take at least a week.
Client: A week!!!! I need it in two days.
Agency A: Sorry, it will take at least a week. ... See more
.., because of the proliferation of people undercutting one another. To us, a rush job is a lot of work and an inconvenience. To the middleman, it's just another project and more income, so there's no advantage to negotiating a deadline and no reason to ever turn down a project.

1990:
Client: I have 20,000 words to translate.
Agency A: That will take at least a week.
Client: A week!!!! I need it in two days.
Agency A: Sorry, it will take at least a week.
Client: Fine, I'll go somewhere else.

Client: I have 20,000 words to translate and I need it in two days.
Agency B: That will take at least a week.
Client: What? I'll call someone else.

Client: I have 20,000 words to translate and I need it in two days.
Agency C: That will take at least a week and a half, maybe two, but if you really need it sooner, maybe we can get it done in a week or maybe we can translate the most important parts in two days... If we try to do it faster, quality will suffer.
Client: That's a good point. I didn't realize that giving you more time would give me a better result. I wouldn't want to pay $4,000 for junk just because I couldn't wait five more days. I thought you just put it through a machine.

2010:
Client: I have 20,000 words to translate and I need it in two days and I will not pay more than $2000.
Agency A: Ok.

Natalie Soper wrote:

I'm still a newbie to the translation game and keep seeing these job postings for 5000-10,000 words to be completed by the same day for such a small rate. My question is: are the people who reply to these job offers sharing the work out, using Google Translate, or genuinely just superhuman? It's hard to see who's pulling whose leg sometimes!

[Edited at 2015-04-21 14:15 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I replied anyway

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »