Client sent faulty files, so I have to redo the work - how much extra to charge?
Thread poster: 1767217 (X)
1767217 (X)
1767217 (X)
United States
Local time: 23:05
English to French
+ ...
Apr 28, 2015

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:05
English to German
+ ...
The more you do, the more they owe you Apr 28, 2015

Doesn't sound like a good outsourcer, to be blunt. It's additional work, and it needs to be paid. Tell them how much and treat it like a new project. If they don't budge, refuse and tell them that it is not what you agreed to do. If they don't want to be reasonable and pay you more and put it in writing (your own contract or an acceptable PO), they are bad clients and I would just try to get paid for what you did so far. Who knows if they intend to pay you within a reasonable time at all; and th... See more
Doesn't sound like a good outsourcer, to be blunt. It's additional work, and it needs to be paid. Tell them how much and treat it like a new project. If they don't budge, refuse and tell them that it is not what you agreed to do. If they don't want to be reasonable and pay you more and put it in writing (your own contract or an acceptable PO), they are bad clients and I would just try to get paid for what you did so far. Who knows if they intend to pay you within a reasonable time at all; and the more you work, the more they are going to owe you.Collapse

Niina Lahokoski
Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:05
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Pre-Translate? Apr 28, 2015

Perhaps you could use the Batch Tasks > Pre-Translate Files function, and then read everything through? Even then, if the tags have been changed, there can be lots of "high fuzzies", and you'll have to check/correct the tags manually. I'd charge by the hour, or if you have discounted rates for fuzzies, you could apply those rates.

[Edited at 2015-04-28 19:45 GMT]

1767217 (X)
1767217 (X)
United States
Local time: 23:05
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Resolved! Apr 28, 2015

Thank you for the advice - glad I'm not the only one who found this request unreasonable! I responded informing them that I would be charging them for this extra work, and they responded saying they would just take care of it themselves instead. All's well that ends well I guess. Thank you again!

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 07:05
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I would have charged for my time Apr 28, 2015

I charge an hourly rate for things like that, which might be an answer if a similar situation arises and does not resolve itself the same way.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client sent faulty files, so I have to redo the work - how much extra to charge?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »