Andrea Graves  Identity Verified
Jordan
Local time: 19:57
Member (2015)
German to English
+ ...
May 21, 2015

Hello,

If a client asks for a tax number for their invoice, what do you give them?
I realize that many people have VAT numbers, but since I am not an EU citizen and do not live in the EU, I don't think there is a need for me to apply for one.
As an American, we have social security numbers but I'm not keen on sharing this information.
Recommendations?

Thank you.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Why don't May 21, 2015

you ask them?

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 18:57
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Agree but... May 21, 2015

Clients in Spain ask for out Vat/Tax number, otherwise they can't pay us. I do not have a Vat number, and I say something to this effect, so I supply my Tax number; sometimes they ask for your ID number which may be the same. I don't like it as well as it is like giving out personal details.

[Edited at 2015-05-21 17:34 GMT]

Andrea Graves
Jordan
Member (2015)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have asked... May 21, 2015

I have asked them and am waiting for a reply.
I was to see if others have had similar experiences.

Social security numbers in America are kind of private. We don't (or rather I don't) just give them to anyone.

Andrea Graves
Jordan
Member (2015)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ID number May 21, 2015

In America, your SSN is also your ID number so I don't think I have other options.

Thanks.

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:57
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

As a vendor, you can get a US tax ID number May 21, 2015

But you shouldn't give anyone either your tax ID number or your SSN unless it is for IRS required purposes because people could use it to rip off your identity. I simply tell non-US clients that I am not an EU resident. Or a resident of whatever other non-US nation the outsourcer happens to be located in.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 18:57
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
If you are outside the EU, they do not need your VAT or tax number May 21, 2015

It is an automatic reaction - inside the EU, either the client has to pay VAT or their VAT number must be on the invoice to show they are exempt.

But obviously, outside the EU, that rule does not apply.
http://europa.eu/youreurope/business/vat-customs/cross-border/index_en.htm

In Sp
... See more
It is an automatic reaction - inside the EU, either the client has to pay VAT or their VAT number must be on the invoice to show they are exempt.

But obviously, outside the EU, that rule does not apply.
http://europa.eu/youreurope/business/vat-customs/cross-border/index_en.htm

In Spain too!
http://europa.eu/youreurope/business/vat-customs/cross-border/index_es.htm

There is no need to give personal tax numbers.
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:57
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Each country has its system May 21, 2015

Americans are scared stiff to disclose their SSN. AFAIWT it would enable anyone to get their details and clone their identity. Only dead people's SSNs are published.

Apparently an American should use their TIN or EIN.

In Brazil, the equivalent to the TIN would be the CPF (individual), and the equivalent to the EIN (company) would be the CNPJ.

The CPF is not at all confidential, since it is printed on every check we have. The CNPJ is printed on every docume
... See more
Americans are scared stiff to disclose their SSN. AFAIWT it would enable anyone to get their details and clone their identity. Only dead people's SSNs are published.

Apparently an American should use their TIN or EIN.

In Brazil, the equivalent to the TIN would be the CPF (individual), and the equivalent to the EIN (company) would be the CNPJ.

The CPF is not at all confidential, since it is printed on every check we have. The CNPJ is printed on every document a company issues, invoices, bills, checks, etc.

So it seems that every country has a number to identify a person or a company for tax purposes, and this number is widely published, appearing on the paperwork of any business transaction this person/company plays any role in (e.g. buyer/seller), so that the government may assess and levy their share.

Only a completely tax-free country would not need such a number. If there IS such a country, kindly advise; I might be moving in there tomorrow!
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:57
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Me too! May 22, 2015

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Only a completely tax-free country would not need such a number. If there IS such a country, kindly advise; I might be moving in there tomorrow!

... and as I'm preparing to go back ("à regret") to Portugal, after 30 years in Belgium, everything is half packed and ready to move...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tax Number

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »