Rates for certified marriage and birth certificate translations?
Thread poster: MottoLab
MottoLab
MottoLab
United States
Local time: 00:33
Chinese to English
May 24, 2015

Hi everyone,

I was recently approached by an agency to do certified marriage and birth certificate translations. I don't normally do these so I was wondering how much to charge for them. After Googling around, the rates vary widely from US$20 to US$96. If you don't mind my asking, how much does one usually charge for these things?

Thank you!

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:33
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Somewhere in the middle May 24, 2015

$20 is too little, $90 is too much. For a certified translation, somewhere in the middle sounds about right.

[Edited at 2015-05-24 15:07 GMT]

mariealpilles
mariealpilles  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:33
Member (2014)
English to French
+ ...
rates for certified translations May 24, 2015

When I do them, I usually ask for euro 35/document. there is more work in formating than in actual translation.

MottoLab
MottoLab
United States
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! May 24, 2015

Thanks, Rudolf and Marie! I agree it's the formatting that will be more time-consuming.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 22:33
Dutch to English
+ ...
Agree with Marie May 24, 2015

Depending on how much text there is and how complex the formatting, anywhere from 35 to 50 dollars per document.

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:33
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Certification May 24, 2015

Marie, how do you certify such certificates?
I keep the original formating in any case; is that diferente where certificate translation is not certified?

mariealpilles
mariealpilles  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:33
Member (2014)
English to French
+ ...
rates for certified translations May 25, 2015

No, it is not different except that in certificates each country has a different format. Certifying a translation like that is just adding your stamp as a sworn translator and your signature.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:33
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Certifications in the US May 25, 2015

mariealpilles wrote:

No, it is not different except that in certificates each country has a different format. Certifying a translation like that is just adding your stamp as a sworn translator and your signature.

MottoLab is in the US. No sworn translators or official stamps here. Certification involves attaching a signed statement describing the document (e.g. Birth Certificate no. yyy of xxxx issued on xx xx xxxx by authority zzzz") and affirming that your translation is correct.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
This: May 25, 2015

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:
No sworn translators or official stamps here. Certification involves attaching a signed statement describing the document (e.g. Birth Certificate no. yyy of xxxx issued on xx xx xxxx by authority zzzz") and affirming that your translation is correct.

In the UK I charge between £35-45 per certificate plus £10-15 for the attached signed statement itself.

Inga Petkelyte
Portugal
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Diana... May 25, 2015

Diana Coada, PGDip DPSI NRPSI wrote:

In the UK I charge between £35-45 per certificate plus £10-15 for the attached signed statement itself.

I feel a monkey now

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
@Inga May 25, 2015

That's what I charge individuals when they contact me and some even tell me their university translation department wants to charge them more than £100, for example. But agencies are obviously a different story, but I only accept certificates from agencies when I've got nothing better to do

MottoLab
MottoLab
United States
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Rates for certified translations May 25, 2015

Thanks guys for sharing your rates! Your input has been very helpful to me.

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

mariealpilles wrote:

MottoLab is in the US. No sworn translators or official stamps here. Certification involves attaching a signed statement describing the document (e.g. Birth Certificate no. yyy of xxxx issued on xx xx xxxx by authority zzzz") and affirming that your translation is correct.

Yes, Rudolf is correct. I only provide a signed Certificate of Accuracy, and a notary is not required.

Inga Petkelyte
Portugal
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Notary is additional cost May 25, 2015

In my understanding, we Europeans have double certification: a certification by the translator AND an authentication by notary public. This latter is not always required and it would be an additional cost to the certification by the translator. Here in Portugal, notary public fee alone is almost 25 euros and still time for going to notary's office has to be compensated.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for certified marriage and birth certificate translations?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »