Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:27
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
May 27, 2015

Greetings!

I was contacted by someone at a production company to translate (not subtitle) a 26 minute script for a tv show. It's a documentary and not terribly technical, so the translation would not be difficult.
I have never translated a tv or movie script, only for videos for clinical studies.

Do i charge by word or by minute of film, or by hour worked? If it is by word, I know the rate, but this company is based in UK and they may prefer it that way.
... See more
Greetings!

I was contacted by someone at a production company to translate (not subtitle) a 26 minute script for a tv show. It's a documentary and not terribly technical, so the translation would not be difficult.
I have never translated a tv or movie script, only for videos for clinical studies.

Do i charge by word or by minute of film, or by hour worked? If it is by word, I know the rate, but this company is based in UK and they may prefer it that way.

I know what subtitlers charge but this is a translation into english. Before I discuss it with him, I would like to have some advice?
I'm based in canada. thanks for any help!
Collapse

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
Get the details May 27, 2015

Marlene Blanshay wrote:

Greetings!

I know what subtitlers charge but this is a translation into english. Before I discuss it with him, I would like to have some advice?
I'm based in canada. thanks for any help!

Hi.

You should first find out what it is the client really needs. Voice-over text, subtitles. I hardly think it's just a translation of the original script.

If you don't know exactly what the project involves, there's no way you can calculate an adequate price.
Since working with scripts usually requires more than just '"easy translation," you better think twice or three times ... and ask. HTH

[Edited at 2015-05-27 17:58 GMT]

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Ask to see the whole job May 27, 2015

Ask to see the whole job. I have no idea how many translators here would quote on and accept a job without seeing the entirety of the material and being fully informed on what the client actually wants, but to do so is to court danger if not disaster. I suspect too many people do that; personally I never do it.

Don't ask the crowd, the crowd is not offering you the job and knows nothing. Ask the client to clarify all your doubts. If the client won't satisfy your inquiries, then turn
... See more
Ask to see the whole job. I have no idea how many translators here would quote on and accept a job without seeing the entirety of the material and being fully informed on what the client actually wants, but to do so is to court danger if not disaster. I suspect too many people do that; personally I never do it.

Don't ask the crowd, the crowd is not offering you the job and knows nothing. Ask the client to clarify all your doubts. If the client won't satisfy your inquiries, then turn down the job even if you're hungry and the rent is unpaid. There is always something better around the corner.
Collapse

Marlene Blanshay
Canada
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
good advice May 27, 2015

I hadn't decided yet, so i appreciate your advice.

I don't know if I'll do it or not, I don't know the client and yes, there are other things around the corner if I don't accept.

as it turns out, they posted this job on PROZ; http://www.proz.com/job/1021864

[Edited at 2015-05-27 18:50 GMT]

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Funny thing is May 28, 2015

They've specified their budget, but not the number of words.

Marlene Blanshay
Canada
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
as it turns out... May 28, 2015

i had to decline the job anyways, but thanks everyone for your opinions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice on rates for movie script?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »