VAT question - UK---EU
Thread poster: maxmm
maxmm
maxmm
United Kingdom
Jul 6, 2015

1. I am self-employed in the UK and the resident in the UK.
2. I am going to buy some services (on-line) from a company within the EU
3. They are VAT-registered, I am not.
4. They suggested they would invoice me without the VAT

Question: is it OK, will I have to pay the VAT here in the UK for it? I am not registered for the VAT number, they did not ask for it, just a company registration number

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:59
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
see the latest VAT discussion here in the forums… Jul 6, 2015

maxmm wrote:

Question: is it OK, will I have to pay the VAT here in the UK for it? I am not registered for the VAT number, they did not ask for it, just a company registration number

Maybe relevant or useful:

http://www.proz.com/forum/translation_in_the_uk/287644-the_pros_cons_of_uk_vat_registration.html

Michael

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:59
French to German
+ ...
You have to pay VAT Jul 7, 2015

If you have no VAT number, you have to pay VAT even if your customers are in another country in the EU.

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
agree: must pay VAT Jul 7, 2015

I'm not sure whether you need to pay the foreign VAT (normal invoicing procedure for private clients in another EU country) or UK VAT (possible exception in the case of the UK because there are loads of small businesses there unable to secure a VAT number), but you almost certainly need to pay one or the other. I would think that paying the foreign tax would be the simplest route, since you won't be able to get the tax refunded anyway. If you could save a lot of money, you might look into taxing... See more
I'm not sure whether you need to pay the foreign VAT (normal invoicing procedure for private clients in another EU country) or UK VAT (possible exception in the case of the UK because there are loads of small businesses there unable to secure a VAT number), but you almost certainly need to pay one or the other. I would think that paying the foreign tax would be the simplest route, since you won't be able to get the tax refunded anyway. If you could save a lot of money, you might look into taxing the service in the UK, but that would involve research and reporting and paying the UK tax (would cost a substantial amount of time).Collapse

Jean-Christophe Duc
Jean-Christophe Duc  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
I don't think so Jul 7, 2015

maxmm wrote:

If memory serves me right, you only pay VAT in the UK when your income goes above a certain threshold (but better check with your local tax office!).

For intra-EU invoices for electronic services, normally the client is responsible for the VAT in his own country, therefore you should not in theory have to invoice them.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Registration, not payment Jul 7, 2015

you only have to REGISTER for VAT in the UK when your income goes above a certain threshold. Of course you have to pay VAT when it is charged to you, whether it is for services or a dishwasher.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
They shouldn't charge you VAT Jul 7, 2015

We charge VAT on services supplied within the UK but never to any other countries, EU or not.

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
You are responsible for your own taxes and not those of others Jul 7, 2015

I assume you are registered as a sole trader? www.gov.uk/vat-registration

I believe that it is the responsibility of the business you are buying services from to have their tax affairs in order and pay their taxes or pass these on to you?

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
They sound incompetent ... Jul 7, 2015

... so I like the tone of Gabriele's answer. However, the problem is that if they send you a proper inner-EU invoice with no foreign VAT on it, then it will state something about the "reverse-charge procedure", meaning that reporting and paying the UK VAT that is then due would be your responsibility.

I say that they sound incompetent, because they or their accountant has to periodically fill out and submit a form containing the VAT numbers and totals due for every invoice to non-d
... See more
... so I like the tone of Gabriele's answer. However, the problem is that if they send you a proper inner-EU invoice with no foreign VAT on it, then it will state something about the "reverse-charge procedure", meaning that reporting and paying the UK VAT that is then due would be your responsibility.

I say that they sound incompetent, because they or their accountant has to periodically fill out and submit a form containing the VAT numbers and totals due for every invoice to non-domestic EU clients. What are they going to write in your case? Maybe there is some available work-around for the UK problem, but unless it is going to save a lot of money, it all seems like a giant waste of time.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
You just have to pay the invoice you're presented with Jul 7, 2015

Gabriele Demuth wrote:
I believe that it is the responsibility of the business you are buying services from to have their tax affairs in order and pay their taxes or pass these on to you?

AFAIK, unless the particular services in question are VAT-exempt (or zero-rated, or whatever the correct term is), such as education in some circumstances, then you should receive an invoice with VAT included, which of course you'd have to pay.

But if you're invoiced ex-VAT, with no mention of VAT anywhere, then it isn't up to you to sort it out. Either the supplier is absorbing the VAT element (i.e. paying it out of the total amount received), or heading for trouble with the VAT authorities. Just enjoy the fact that the service is 20-odd percent less than it should have been.

2GT
2GT  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
EU VAT unregistered people pay VAT Jul 7, 2015

maxmm:

That company is wrong.
They have to charge you their country's VAT, since you are not EU VAT registered (I assume they have a valid EU VAT number) so they can't apply the reverse charge procedure on their invoice to you.

Cheers
Gianni

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
VAT has to be charged in your case (100 % sure) Jul 7, 2015

I am sure about what I say: VAT has to be charged in your case (as I work in a cooperative all my invoices are controlled by a bookkeeper so I am really sure about what I am saying, had already that case a customer in the UK without a VAT number...)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VAT question - UK---EU

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »