Alain Alameddine  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 09:51
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Jul 15, 2015

Hello everyone,

I live in Lebanon, where Paypal is not enabled. I've been using a colleague's Paypal account to receive payments, but I'm looking for an alternative. Has anyone tried 2checkout? Could anyone confirm it worked fine, without hidden fees or payment issues?

Other suggestions welcome, too Thanks a lot!

Alain Alameddine

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:51
German to English
+ ...
No, sorry, never used 2checkout, but there are numerous alternatives Jul 15, 2015

There is a forum discussion on Transferwise at the link below -->

http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/278545-general_impressions_of_transferwise.html

Link to the service --> https://transferwise.com/en; it may not be available in you
... See more
There is a forum discussion on Transferwise at the link below -->

http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/278545-general_impressions_of_transferwise.html

Link to the service --> https://transferwise.com/en; it may not be available in your country, though.

You can do a forum search on other methods by using "payment method" as key words in a general search or within the specific forum called Money Matters. Unfortunately, I can't do it for you as the search would be attached to my membership profile, and therefore not accessible to you. I'm sure others will come along to add their suggestions, maybe even ones more specific to Lebanon.

Good luck!
Collapse

Vadim Kadyrov
Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
As far as I know, Jul 15, 2015

such platforms as PayPal, etc. don`t like such methods. i.e. when the person who withdraws the money is not the person who is the owner of the account. I mean, when you send the money to another account, who then withdraws the funds and returns them back to you minus certain percentage.

Your account can be blocked "thanks" to such manipulations. I am almost sure that they clearly state this in their terms and conditions.

Don`t ask me how they can know that. They somehow
... See more
such platforms as PayPal, etc. don`t like such methods. i.e. when the person who withdraws the money is not the person who is the owner of the account. I mean, when you send the money to another account, who then withdraws the funds and returns them back to you minus certain percentage.

Your account can be blocked "thanks" to such manipulations. I am almost sure that they clearly state this in their terms and conditions.

Don`t ask me how they can know that. They somehow can.

[Edited at 2015-07-15 11:39 GMT]
Collapse

Animal_Soul
Animal_Soul
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Haven't tried 2checkout, but... Jul 24, 2015

Hi Alain Alameddine,

I haven't tried 2checkout, so I'm sorry I cannot comment on it, but I now use Currency Fair, which not only gives really good exchange rates, but the charge to transfer to your account is only 3 euros; I try to accumulate payments and transfer them in one go, that way I only get charged the 3 euros once for a few payments, but that, of course,
... See more
Hi Alain Alameddine,

I haven't tried 2checkout, so I'm sorry I cannot comment on it, but I now use Currency Fair, which not only gives really good exchange rates, but the charge to transfer to your account is only 3 euros; I try to accumulate payments and transfer them in one go, that way I only get charged the 3 euros once for a few payments, but that, of course, depends on how often you need to transfer yourself - still, it's still very cheap compared to others! Try the link I've posted if you want to find out more.

Good luck.
Collapse

Alain Alameddine
Lebanon
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can my client use Paypal to pay me via TransferWise or CurrencyFair? Jul 27, 2015

Apparently not, unless I've missed something on their sites.

Animal_Soul
Animal_Soul
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
My client does pay me via Currency Fair... Jul 30, 2015

Alain Alameddine, I don't know why your client can't pay you via Currency Fair, as mine pays me, and the friend who recommended them to me gets paid there too. She's been getting paid through them for... I don't know whether three or four years, and I've been using them for about a year, and have had no problems. At first I found it a little confusing, but my friend helped me with the steps to receive a payment, and on any other questions I've had they've been really helpful via email and they e... See more
Alain Alameddine, I don't know why your client can't pay you via Currency Fair, as mine pays me, and the friend who recommended them to me gets paid there too. She's been getting paid through them for... I don't know whether three or four years, and I've been using them for about a year, and have had no problems. At first I found it a little confusing, but my friend helped me with the steps to receive a payment, and on any other questions I've had they've been really helpful via email and they even phoned me once, from abroad, and had a longish conversation that really helped me.

Anyway, I've just had a look at their page, and they have a support section, with FAQs, and an email to write to if you need them to answer specific questions.

This is their support page: Support

On that page, there is a blue panel before all the FAQs where you can find the email to write to them if you need to ask them your question, if you don't find it there.

Good luck!
Collapse

Alain Alameddine
Lebanon
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can my client **use Paypal** to pay me via CurrencyFair? Jul 30, 2015

I'm not asking if they can pay me via CurrencyFair, I'm asking if they can **use Paypal** to pay me via CurrencyFair. I've checked the support page you sent the link to, and there's no mention of that possibility there.

Animal_Soul
Animal_Soul
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm afraid I don't know... :-( Aug 1, 2015

Alain Alameddine wrote:

I'm not asking if they can pay me via CurrencyFair, I'm asking if they can **use Paypal** to pay me via CurrencyFair. I've checked the support page you sent the link to, and there's no mention of that possibility there.

Oh, I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood. I'm afraid I don't know, but you can ask them via the email that appears on the page, and even ask them to phone you back, they did with me and were very helpful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Has anyone tried 2checkout?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »