Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:51
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 30, 2015

I've just discovered two fraudulent donations made via Paypal to mr Eric Affouard [email protected]. The amounts are 250 € and 197 €. i've already filled a fraud form, and the case is opened. I have not provided my password to anybody, and I'm very worried about The safety of my money in Paypal.

Has anybody been robbed in the same way?

Regards

Clarisa Moraña

[Edited at 2015-08
... See more
I've just discovered two fraudulent donations made via Paypal to mr Eric Affouard [email protected]. The amounts are 250 € and 197 €. i've already filled a fraud form, and the case is opened. I have not provided my password to anybody, and I'm very worried about The safety of my money in Paypal.

Has anybody been robbed in the same way?

Regards

Clarisa Moraña

[Edited at 2015-08-30 05:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-08-30 05:36 GMT]
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 20:51
English to Thai
+ ...
Yes Aug 30, 2015

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

My PayPal account password was used elsewhere but my total amounts are not affected so far.
I changed my password since it was dishonestly used in another social media.

Soonthon L.

Clarisa Moraña
United States
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Paypal is working in the issue! Aug 30, 2015

I've been contacted by Paypal. It seems that someone logged in into my account (without my authorization) and sent the money. They are investigating and they will provide me a reply in about 10 days.

I hope to have my money returned back to me!

Regards

Clarisa

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:51
Danish to English
+ ...
Set a security key Aug 30, 2015

If you can in your country, it would be a good idea to set an SMS security key so you need to enter a code sent to your mobile phone before you can log in. That way, a stolen password is not enough to log in.

That function is presently out of order at least on Paypal Germany but should hopefully work again in a few days.

Needless to say, having an up-to-date security system on all your devices is a must. A keylogger is just one way your passwords could be stolen.

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:51
English to Spanish
... Aug 30, 2015

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

I've been contacted by Paypal. It seems that someone logged in into my account (without my authorization) and sent the money. They are investigating and they will provide me a reply in about 10 days.

You moved quickly to report the problem, and I am glad to hear they are already working on it. Hopefully it will be resoved soon.

Thank you for alerting the rest of us about this very real danger, to keep an eye on our online accounts.

Unfortunately, this and other types of Internet frauds are becoming more and more common.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
EU fraud protection law for bank customers Aug 30, 2015

EU/EEA banks' clients are protected by EU law, which stipulates that clients have 13 months to report fraudulent transactions to their banks, and that in such a case, the bank must refund the disputed amount immediately, unless they can prove that the transaction was authorised by the client.

This protection is also valid for online payment services like Paypal.

However, this protection can also work against us if we receive a fraudulent payment from a fraudster and the
... See more
EU/EEA banks' clients are protected by EU law, which stipulates that clients have 13 months to report fraudulent transactions to their banks, and that in such a case, the bank must refund the disputed amount immediately, unless they can prove that the transaction was authorised by the client.

This protection is also valid for online payment services like Paypal.

However, this protection can also work against us if we receive a fraudulent payment from a fraudster and then supply a translation, as the money can disappear in a flash up to 13 months later.
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
United States
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but the ruled against me! Sep 1, 2015

Miguel Carmona wrote:

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

You moved quickly to report the problem, and I am glad to hear they are already working on it. Hopefully it will be resoved soon.

Thank you for alerting the rest of us about this very real danger, to keep an eye on our online accounts.

Unfortunately, this and other types of Internet frauds are becoming more and more common.

Gracias, Miguel

They say that the money was sent from my own pc. I'm sure it wasn't me!

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
This discussion has been moved Sep 1, 2015

The topic started moved the discussion over here for some obscure reason:

http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/290344-money_stolen_via_paypal.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fraudulent donation via my Paypal Account

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »