Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:55
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 31, 2015

I informed recently that two illegal operations in my Paypal account.
One donation to Mr. Eric Affuard, as follows:
Número de confirmación: 23690825J8999522C
Importe del donativo: €197,00 EUR
Total: €197,00 EUR
Finalidad: Dons to Eric Affouard
Referencia: 00299
Contribuyente: Clarisa Morana

And a Payment as follows

Nombre del vendedor: Eric Affouard
Corre
... See more
I informed recently that two illegal operations in my Paypal account.
One donation to Mr. Eric Affuard, as follows:
Número de confirmación: 23690825J8999522C
Importe del donativo: €197,00 EUR
Total: €197,00 EUR
Finalidad: Dons to Eric Affouard
Referencia: 00299
Contribuyente: Clarisa Morana

And a Payment as follows

Nombre del vendedor: Eric Affouard
Correo electrónico del vendedor: [email protected]
Id. de transacción del vendedor: 53A568212G998750G

Fecha de la transacción: 29 Ago 2015
Importe de la transacción: -$245,00 USD
Su Id. de transacción: 77464393LL740045E
Número de caso: PP-004-147-966-235

Id. de transacción del comprador: 77464393LL740045E

According to Paypal, the payment/donations were made using MY own computer. I'm sure I have not used it, and I'm sure that I have not given authorization to anybody to use my paypal account. The case in Paypal is closed as, they say, the used IP is mine. How can that be posible?
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:55
English to French
+ ...
several possibilities come to mind Aug 31, 2015

Either the IP address was spoofed or, maybe more likely, your computer has been infected with a virus allowing a remote user to control it.
The press is replete with stories of such malware, and just because one is not a large corporation does not mean one can't be attacked.

A serious malware scan of your computer may be in order.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:55
Danish to English
+ ...
Malware Aug 31, 2015

This could be possible if you have malware on your computer that steals your Paypal password while logging in (using keylogging techniques), then logs in to Paypal without your knowing about it. Then the theft will have taken place from your IP address.

Or you could have been tricked into giving the malware your password by falling for a phishing scam that made you log in to a fake site.

Have you tested your computer for malware and other infections after this took plac
... See more
This could be possible if you have malware on your computer that steals your Paypal password while logging in (using keylogging techniques), then logs in to Paypal without your knowing about it. Then the theft will have taken place from your IP address.

Or you could have been tricked into giving the malware your password by falling for a phishing scam that made you log in to a fake site.

Have you tested your computer for malware and other infections after this took place? There are many free online tests you can run.

Which security software do you use?

It may be worth checking up on what regulations say in your country about fraud committed via online payment services. In the EU, to refuse refunding it, Paypal would have had to prove that you authorised it, and simply showing that it took place from your IP address does not in itself prove that you authorised it.

Also be sure to read exactly what Paypal's terms and conditions in force on the date of the fraud say about it. They often turn nasty and stick it to the customer when something like this goes wrong.

Do you have a financial services authority or similar in your country to which you can complain?

Finally, you may want to add your horror story to the many other Paypal horror stories on Paypalwarning.com.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Security key Aug 31, 2015

Of course, as I said in the other topic (why did you start a new topic?), it would be a good idea to set a security key so you need a code sent to your mobile phone to log in.

Clarisa Moraña
United States
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
McAffe Aug 31, 2015

I have McAffe recently installed! I will recheck if a malware o a virus has infected my PC. Any password I could use will be detected by a hacker.

I will file a claim in a Fiscalia de Delitos Informáticos, in Buenos Aires City!

[Edited at 2015-08-31 21:13 GMT]

Clarisa Moraña
United States
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I started a new post! Aug 31, 2015

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Of course, as I said in the other topic (why did you start a new topic?), it would be a good idea to set a security key so you need a code sent to your mobile phone to log in.

Now I cannot even withdraw the money from may paypal account!

[Edited at 2015-08-31 21:17 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Withdraw Aug 31, 2015

Because of the security code?

Clarisa Moraña
United States
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm not thinking clearly right now Aug 31, 2015

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Dear Thomas

I worked very hard during the week-end. Besides an exhausting personal work I did on Saturday, I had to review a 7000 words oil & gas translation that turned into a nighmare, and had to be retranslated. I worked from 9 am Sunday to 3 am Monday. I woke up at 8 am. I have one more project to deliver (+4000 words), and Paypal says that the money was sent from my computer.

Sometimes, it is not quite easy to understand some simple things such as not to start a new topic! My apologies.

Clarisa

Clarisa Moraña
United States
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Because they detected unusual movements! Sep 1, 2015

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Because of the security code?

Paylpal is asking me to change the password, to answer some security questions and some other mesures for the safety of my account.
As I believe I'm victim of a virus, or malware or a hacker, I will have to reset my PC. I'm afraid to change the password right now (I had changed it when I discovered the fraud Saturday night) because the new password might be detected/read/stolen by the hacker.

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:55
Japanese to English
+ ...
Use PayPal??!! Sep 1, 2015

This is reason enough to insist on bank wire transfer for payment.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
WiFi security? Sep 1, 2015

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

I'm afraid to change the password right now (I had changed it when I discovered the fraud Saturday night) because the new password might be detected/read/stolen by the hacker.

You can use your smartphone, tablet or a backup or friend's computer to reset your password, if you are afraid to use your own computer.

To me, the salient point is that PayPal has apparently linked the transactions to your IP address. This would indicate that this goes beyond most common course of events whereby a cybercrook guesses a weak password or you fall prey to a phishing attempt. The culprit seems to either have physical access to your machine, or a least your internet connection. Are your neighbors close enough that your wifi signal reaches a lot of people? You should to change your wifi password (or add one, if you don't have one set up), and preferably set your router to not broadcast the SSID.

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 21:55
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
@Michael OT Sep 1, 2015

Michael Newton wrote:

This is reason enough to insist on bank wire transfer for payment.

Have you ever encountered a situation where your work was worth 20 USD (or 2000 JPY)and this money is sent to you by bank transfer from Japan? How much do you actually receive in the end?

I use Paypal and in the situation I mentioned above, I get about 18.50 to 19 USD if my client sends me the money via Paypal. But if s/he sends the money by bank transfer, I automatically get 1500 JPY deducted from 20 USD. That's roughly about 70 ~ 80% of my payment.

ChananZass
ChananZass
Italy
Local time: 13:55
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Install an anti-virus program and anti-malware program Sep 1, 2015

First thing is to clean up your computer. The transaction was performed from your own computer. That means the hacker has control over your computer.

Download and install a good anti-virus program (ESET for example) and an anti-malware program (Malwarebytes, for example).
Perform a computer scan using these programs and allow them to remove any suspicious elements.

You may also consult with a computer technician, who would be able to easily detect the "Trojan bug"
... See more
First thing is to clean up your computer. The transaction was performed from your own computer. That means the hacker has control over your computer.

Download and install a good anti-virus program (ESET for example) and an anti-malware program (Malwarebytes, for example).
Perform a computer scan using these programs and allow them to remove any suspicious elements.

You may also consult with a computer technician, who would be able to easily detect the "Trojan bug" on your computer even before installing the anti-virus and anti-malware programs.

After your computer is "clean", change all your passwords.

Hope that helps.
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Autre pays, autre moeurs Sep 1, 2015

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:
But if s/he sends the money by bank transfer, I automatically get 1500 JPY deducted from 20 USD. That's roughly about 70 ~ 80% of my payment.

That's what I was thinking. There's more to sending money than intra-European bank transfers. For some countries the bank charges are far too high for small amounts.

I do try to avoid very small jobs and I usually "bundle" my invoices for a month into one large invoice to side-step such problems but it's not always possible. Then PayPal is useful.

As for the OP's problems, as Thomas says, security key.

Regards
Dan

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
This is something that puzzles me Sep 1, 2015

I do try and steer clients away from Paypal if possible, however, one private client who sends small jobs once in a while did her best to pay me by bank transfer, the invoice amounts are usually not much higher than 40 Euros, and one or two agencies pay any amount by bank transfer.

An international bank transfer from my bank costs 25 GBP. It can't cost them that much?

And if I have money coming in via PayPal I transfer it asap - even more so after reading this!

[
... See more
I do try and steer clients away from Paypal if possible, however, one private client who sends small jobs once in a while did her best to pay me by bank transfer, the invoice amounts are usually not much higher than 40 Euros, and one or two agencies pay any amount by bank transfer.

An international bank transfer from my bank costs 25 GBP. It can't cost them that much?

And if I have money coming in via PayPal I transfer it asap - even more so after reading this!

[Edited at 2015-09-01 07:56 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Money Stolen via Paypal

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »