Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >
Different rates for the domestic+foreign markets?
Thread poster: S_G_C
S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 16:08
English to Romanian
Nov 1, 2015

Dear colleagues,

I have no idea what the situation in your home countries is. But...

Do you have different rates for your domestic and foreign clients? Also, different units of measure?

I do because this is the situation in my country. I'm not happy about it, but there's nothing I can do.

Darmali
Darmali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 21:08
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Yes, because different conditions apply. Nov 2, 2015

Here in Indonesia, different rates apply for domestic clients (in IDR) and foreign clients (in US$ or any other major currency), but payment for domestic jobs is quicker (one month at the most) and is made through domestic bank transfers without any additional charges, whereas payment for foreign jobs takes longer (30 days to 60 days), and are made through Paypal (for me), which imposes additional charges. Bank transfers through foreign banks are also expensive because of the role of corresponde... See more
Here in Indonesia, different rates apply for domestic clients (in IDR) and foreign clients (in US$ or any other major currency), but payment for domestic jobs is quicker (one month at the most) and is made through domestic bank transfers without any additional charges, whereas payment for foreign jobs takes longer (30 days to 60 days), and are made through Paypal (for me), which imposes additional charges. Bank transfers through foreign banks are also expensive because of the role of correspondent/intermediate banks.

Angela
Collapse

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:08
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
The Same Rates Nov 2, 2015

I have the same rates across the board, i.e. domestic and international. I use different rates of measure. For domestic, I use Turkish Lira, and for elsewhere I usually use USD unless the client prefers another one. However, my rate in TL is discounted, favoring domestic clients.

We live in a global market. I believe our services should cost pretty much the same everywhere. It might sound naive but this is my take. Imagine this: a translation agency can have offices in my home
... See more
I have the same rates across the board, i.e. domestic and international. I use different rates of measure. For domestic, I use Turkish Lira, and for elsewhere I usually use USD unless the client prefers another one. However, my rate in TL is discounted, favoring domestic clients.

We live in a global market. I believe our services should cost pretty much the same everywhere. It might sound naive but this is my take. Imagine this: a translation agency can have offices in my home country as well as in foreign countries. Which rate are you going to use then?
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:08
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
If the bills are the same, the income can't be lower Nov 2, 2015

I can understand raising your rates if you think clients in a particular market will pay more (e.g. a freelancer working out of India for a Swiss client), but I don't understand why the reverse should ever apply.

As has already been said, we live in a global economy and we are particularly free in our profession to make use of that. I had lots of French clients when I lived there but until recently I was living here in Spain with no Spanish clients, as they wouldn't pay my rates. O
... See more
I can understand raising your rates if you think clients in a particular market will pay more (e.g. a freelancer working out of India for a Swiss client), but I don't understand why the reverse should ever apply.

As has already been said, we live in a global economy and we are particularly free in our profession to make use of that. I had lots of French clients when I lived there but until recently I was living here in Spain with no Spanish clients, as they wouldn't pay my rates. On the other hand, I've invoiced clients in 25 different countries since my arrival here in 2012. And every invoice has been for the same hourly rate (with a few exceptions for other reasons). This month I even sent an invoice to China for the first time ever.

So if I were you, I'd concentrate my marketing effort on those countries where clients will accept YOUR rate, and on those clients who will accept YOUR payment terms. If you can't get enough work from them, then you need to do whatever you need to do to put food on the table (flip burgers if necessary), but leave enough time for both active marketing and passive (networking).
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 15:08
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
You have to be realistic Nov 2, 2015

You are prefectly entitled to charge whatever rates you can agree on with your clients. Different situations apply with different languages, and the cost of living IS simply not the same in different parts of the world.

You have to make a living, but so do your clients. Some agencies can pass on costs to the end client, but for others it is not so easy.

It is simply not possible to live in Scandinavia as I do, on the rates some agencies consider perfectly reasonable in
... See more
You are prefectly entitled to charge whatever rates you can agree on with your clients. Different situations apply with different languages, and the cost of living IS simply not the same in different parts of the world.

You have to make a living, but so do your clients. Some agencies can pass on costs to the end client, but for others it is not so easy.

It is simply not possible to live in Scandinavia as I do, on the rates some agencies consider perfectly reasonable in their countries. I cannot work exclusively for Scandinavian agencies, as many end clients quite naturally go to agencies in England when they want an English translator.

A few pay the same rates as Scandinavian agencies, but many don't, and the whole setup is different. I negotiate the best rates I can with them, but working all the time like that is far better than only working half the time for top rates. And the pay better than burger-flipping here, assuming if I could find a job!

Naturally, I refuse to go below a certain limit, which fluctuates slightly with currency exchange rates. I check when I can what others are charging. The CIoL and ITI did a rates survey a few years ago, and the German BDÜ does one, I believe. You can see average rates in your language pairs on this site, but they are not differentiated for different markets.
http://search.proz.com/?sp=pfe/rates

It is not possible to find a single rate that will apply across all markets - there are too many other variables, even though it is an attractive principle.

For many other services, rates vary on different markets.
Work out a viable rate for each type of job, so that you know what to ask for, and find the levels on the markets you work in. The important thing is to compete on quality, and not undercut others.

Then you can give priority to the markets where you earn best, and take work from the others when you have time.
Best of luck!
Collapse

Ioana Costache
Ioana Costache  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2007)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Why different rates when everything else is the same Nov 2, 2015

As I always make it clear to any agencies attempting to use geography as justification for lower rates:

- No matter where the end client is based, I spend the same amount of time doing the translation.

- I don't have different levels of quality for "domestic" vs. "foreign" clients.

- I invest in resources and professional development. Whenever I buy software, books, education etc., I NEVER get lower rates based on where I live.

- The cost of m
... See more
As I always make it clear to any agencies attempting to use geography as justification for lower rates:

- No matter where the end client is based, I spend the same amount of time doing the translation.

- I don't have different levels of quality for "domestic" vs. "foreign" clients.

- I invest in resources and professional development. Whenever I buy software, books, education etc., I NEVER get lower rates based on where I live.

- The cost of my time and expertise is the same for anyone who wants to buy them. If they can't afford it, too bad. If I feel charitable, I translate free of charge for charities (yes, I actually do it). I don't feel charitable towards other businesses, I have my own to run and a living to make.

One would think these are commonsensical things, but considering the number of times I've had to reiterate them, it seems they're not.

This discussion on determining your rate might also help answer your question.

As for your second question, concerning different units of measure (if my understanding is correct and you weren't actually referring to currency) - that would depend on the type of project and on some previous agreement with the client: word count, hour count, flat rate... The unit of measure makes no difference, as long as both parties agree.

[Edited at 2015-11-02 12:38 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes, kind of Nov 2, 2015

Sorana_M. wrote:
Do you have different rates for your domestic and foreign clients? Also, different units of measure?

I adapt my rate and my terms and conditions to the market that the client is in. There is nothing wrong with that. You can choose to work only in markets that pay high rates, or you can choose to spread your risk among markets with high rates and low rates.

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Take it or leave it Nov 2, 2015

I have just passed some translation tests for a domestic agency. They congratulated me and sent me their offer - meaning the rates they are willing to pay me. It's a take it or leave it situation.

I have said this before, for the Romanian domestic market, negotiations are hardly possible.

My work is valued as 2,000 characters with spaces (1 page) for X RON for the domestic market and as X EUR or USD cents per sw for the foreign market.

It's the same work a
... See more
I have just passed some translation tests for a domestic agency. They congratulated me and sent me their offer - meaning the rates they are willing to pay me. It's a take it or leave it situation.

I have said this before, for the Romanian domestic market, negotiations are hardly possible.

My work is valued as 2,000 characters with spaces (1 page) for X RON for the domestic market and as X EUR or USD cents per sw for the foreign market.

It's the same work and the same quality.
Collapse

Edward Vreeburg
Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
yes... and NO! Nov 2, 2015

Yes of course I charge clients MORE if they can afford more, if they value the translation higher or if their profits are directly increased by my work (i.e. if they land a public tender worth a couple of million, or a new client worth several thousands....)

However if the client is from India, China or some other country where clients cannot always afford what I charge, I simply tell them that they are not ready for the international market yet...

They products (along
... See more
Yes of course I charge clients MORE if they can afford more, if they value the translation higher or if their profits are directly increased by my work (i.e. if they land a public tender worth a couple of million, or a new client worth several thousands....)

However if the client is from India, China or some other country where clients cannot always afford what I charge, I simply tell them that they are not ready for the international market yet...

They products (along with my translation) will be sold in the Netherlands, at DUTCH prices in EUROS.... So for the (end) customer there is a lot to gain. And whether they pay 10 of 100 euro for a translation of the packaging/manual - if they sell 10.000 units, the cost of translation is 0,000001 % of the budget regardless....

So why should I have lower prices for Indian companies, if some (even Dutch!) company goes to India for a cheap translation???

Ed
Collapse

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:08
English to German
+ ...
Can't recommend working for the low rate sector Nov 2, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

Sorana_M. wrote:

I adapt my rate and my terms and conditions to the market that the client is in. There is nothing wrong with that. You can choose to work only in markets that pay high rates, or you can choose to spread your risk among markets with high rates and low rates.

How much adapting do you do, Samuel?

As far as I am concerned, I will not work with agencies or clients that don't accept professional rates - to all you newcomers, I suggest looking at rates published on the Proz.com translation rate page:
http://search.proz.com/employers/rates

You will notice that rates are not that different across the board and that they apply to language pairs, not countries. This is a global profession, and any flexibility in pricing must be limited to a certain degree, and it certainly is in the professional realm of our industry.
So let me add that the rates published at Proz.com's translation rate page are already at the low end of the professional spectrum. Experienced translators charge much more.

It is not necessary and not good advice to any translator (new or experienced) to slave away for unprofessional agencies, no matter how many times you do it. This only fills those agencies' pockets.

I think it's not good career advice to work in the low-rate sector of our industry, even when combined with the acceptable sector. The lower the rate, the more difficult it usually becomes to get paid at all. Check out forum posts about non-payment and late payment and blueboard ratings. The low-rate sector is not a place you want to go to. Too many problems are waiting for you there.

To maintain a professional service, I recommend that translators apply certain professional standards and best practices, and that includes the prices. I myself consider anything lower than the standard! rates published on the Proz.com translation rate page as unacceptable for a professional.

Undercutting these rates in hopes of more business doesn't help us professional translators because it takes jobs away from us and allows exploitation of the translators who accept them. It doesn't help the translator who carries them out either because you will work much harder and longer and faster and the quality of your work will suffer and you're simply at the beginning of a downward (very dangerous!) spiral.

However, there are plenty of professional projects out there and the need for professionals is increasing, and, as I say below, a continued trend for rock bottom services can actually be a blessing in disguise for us who refuse to go "down" there.

The recent trend towards ever-lower rate demands from outsourcers on job portals and new tricks applied by them to justify lower rates - for example posting translation jobs as editing tasks by calling it PEMT (post-editing machine translations - you can search for that here in the forum), paired with the willingness of those translators who don't know any better or don't want to know any better will hopefully widen the gap between amateurs and professionals even more, and that's not a bad thing for us. When the quality is poor, those who are to blame for it (outsourcers as well as translators) won't be successful for long if at all. It will strengthen the need for those of us that do this as a professional career.

[Edited at 2015-11-02 14:57 GMT]

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Low rate issue Nov 2, 2015

I see some of you mentioned the low rate issue.

I did not think about that when I opened the thread. I do not know whether my Romanian colleagues are working for the domestic market or not or whether they are faced with the same situation as I am (Ioana is the only Romanian translator who answered).

As I have said before, I passed several translation tests, last week and before that and the year before. There was no negotiation involved when I received the agency's OK.
... See more
I see some of you mentioned the low rate issue.

I did not think about that when I opened the thread. I do not know whether my Romanian colleagues are working for the domestic market or not or whether they are faced with the same situation as I am (Ioana is the only Romanian translator who answered).

As I have said before, I passed several translation tests, last week and before that and the year before. There was no negotiation involved when I received the agency's OK. It was like "we are happy to let you know that you passed our tests. We would like to have you in our team and will be paying you an amount of X RON for 2,000 characters with spaces".

One agency offered me a way too low rate for medical translations (English to Romanian ). I negotiated and managed to get a better rate. However, their final answer was "although we believe we could be able to pay you the rate you asked, we still prefer to have our medical translations done by Medicine students". Well, good luck.

So far, I have had no problems with getting paid. However, what you call low market is normal market in Romania. At least for me. It does not mean that the quality of my work is poor. It simply is the reality presented to me.

[Edited at 2015-11-02 17:03 GMT]
Collapse

Ioana Costache
Romania
Member (2007)
English to Romanian
+ ...
To each his own Nov 2, 2015

I know what Sorana means, which is why I answered.

As I see it, there are two likely scenarios:

1. The “local” agency itself charges low rates, in order to attract clients. Naturally, it simply can’t afford to pay decent rates to translators. Sorry, agency and translators, such are the consequences of dumping.

2. The “local” agency charges rates which are comparable to the ones charged by any other agency for the respective language combination/sp
... See more
I know what Sorana means, which is why I answered.

As I see it, there are two likely scenarios:

1. The “local” agency itself charges low rates, in order to attract clients. Naturally, it simply can’t afford to pay decent rates to translators. Sorry, agency and translators, such are the consequences of dumping.

2. The “local” agency charges rates which are comparable to the ones charged by any other agency for the respective language combination/specialty. It gets decent rates from its clients but chooses to offer peanuts to translators and pocket the difference. Good for you, agency, you’ve made a nice profit. Sorry, translator, but you’re endowed with free will and shouldn’t have agreed to the price.

I’m not going to discuss the ethics of either scenario. What I will do, though, is refuse to work with agencies that tell me that they’d like to work with me because I’m oh so qualified, but my rates are too high (for “foreign” clients), and they can only offer me the “local” rate of half-a-peanut per word. I used to go through the testing and negotiation stage, years ago, but now I tell them upfront that I can’t afford to work for low rates, and if they can’t afford decent rates, we both save the time and trouble of the admin stage and we go our separate ways. I don’t care who the agency chooses instead. It’s a business decision like any other. It's a free market, and a global one, as Atil pointed out. For all I know, they might be getting a much better translator who's getting bored and works for free, just for the fun of it

[Edited at 2015-11-02 16:56 GMT]
Collapse

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
For Ioana Nov 2, 2015

Ioana,

The domestic agencies that I have contacted or that have contacted me act as if they have concluded some sort of deal - like "let's stick to this range, offer a minimum of X and a maximum of X+1 or X+2 or X+3".

I don't know what to say, I imagine they know their competitors, do regular check-ups of the current domestic rates, see no reason to offer more, since there is always someone who will accept their peanuts, as you call them...

It is also true
... See more
Ioana,

The domestic agencies that I have contacted or that have contacted me act as if they have concluded some sort of deal - like "let's stick to this range, offer a minimum of X and a maximum of X+1 or X+2 or X+3".

I don't know what to say, I imagine they know their competitors, do regular check-ups of the current domestic rates, see no reason to offer more, since there is always someone who will accept their peanuts, as you call them...

It is also true that the number of translators working in my language pairs has increased tremendously over the years. That is why I have taken the first opportunity that showed up to change my fields of expertise. And it seems I did well. However, domestic rates do no care about that.

As for the foreign market, I'd like to understand how foreign clients choose their language specialist. What makes them pick the right one out of 20 or 30 candidates, let's say.

(I'm sorry my posts don't get through sooner).
Collapse

Ioana Costache
Romania
Member (2007)
English to Romanian
+ ...
The shoe is on the other foot Nov 2, 2015

I have no idea how agencies eventually make their choice after sifting candidates through the usual coarse-grained filters of education, experience, tests. You need answers from a vendor manager, not a translator

But I don't think the agencies' decision-making process is at stake here. It's ultimately YOUR decision whether to work with them or not. "Take it or leave it" is not something that only the other party can
... See more
I have no idea how agencies eventually make their choice after sifting candidates through the usual coarse-grained filters of education, experience, tests. You need answers from a vendor manager, not a translator

But I don't think the agencies' decision-making process is at stake here. It's ultimately YOUR decision whether to work with them or not. "Take it or leave it" is not something that only the other party can do. Of course you can phrase it more politely, but the idea is the same.

[Edited at 2015-11-02 18:16 GMT]
Collapse

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Choices Nov 2, 2015

Ioana Costache wrote:

It's ultimately YOUR decision whether to work with them or not.

Certainly, and, over the years, I have accepted several offers and rejected several others.

However, for me, as a translator, having chosen this profession mostly with my heart, it's disappointing to see how discouraging the domestic situation looks.

As for the foreign market, I have to confess we haven't yet managed to become friends. It's not the first time I hear about the great number of professional projects out there, however, none is coming my way. Meanwhile, I keep gathering domestic references.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Different rates for the domestic+foreign markets?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »