Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:13
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 25, 2015

A spam (i.e. unsolicited, mass email) message just came in from a supposed outsourcer who claim that they are "amongst the top 10% of highest paying employers, remuneration varies ranging from $30 USD per 1K words for proofreading jobs and $60-90 USD per 1K words for Translation jobs."

The rather low rates (incompatible with their other claim, "highest quality"), the poor writing, and the fact that they mention "employment" all the time makes me think that their account could have b
... See more
A spam (i.e. unsolicited, mass email) message just came in from a supposed outsourcer who claim that they are "amongst the top 10% of highest paying employers, remuneration varies ranging from $30 USD per 1K words for proofreading jobs and $60-90 USD per 1K words for Translation jobs."

The rather low rates (incompatible with their other claim, "highest quality"), the poor writing, and the fact that they mention "employment" all the time makes me think that their account could have been hijacked.

Do you think I should warn them?
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:13
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes Nov 25, 2015

Yes- please do.

Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)
Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Ooh, good one! Nov 25, 2015

I have to remember this one. Next time a bottom feader approaches me with an unacceptably low rate, I reply "I cannot believe that you would seriously offer me that rate, it is too low to be true. So probably, your account has been hacked."
Wonderful.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Lucky PMs then Nov 25, 2015

I'm sure they're happy to be working for one of the highest paying employers. But that's of little interest to a freelancer, of course, so I wonder why they're telling us that. As you say, their rates to freelancers are nothing to write home about. Maybe because they are paying their PMs so much?

If you have a spare moment, please do write to inform them that something is wrong. Perhaps they'll be able to put it right
... See more
I'm sure they're happy to be working for one of the highest paying employers. But that's of little interest to a freelancer, of course, so I wonder why they're telling us that. As you say, their rates to freelancers are nothing to write home about. Maybe because they are paying their PMs so much?

If you have a spare moment, please do write to inform them that something is wrong. Perhaps they'll be able to put it right.
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
they're real Nov 25, 2015

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

The rather low rates (incompatible with their other claim, "highest quality"), the poor writing, and the fact that they mention "employment" all the time makes me think that their account could have been hijacked.

I've been getting many offers from them, after registering on their website in Feb 2014 following an e-mail I received from them about a specific project. I even did a 100ish-word free test, with no reply. Sometimes I think I am stupid.
I also failed their multiple-choice questionnaire on their platform to have the privilege to be deemed a native French speaker.
Of course, I never had the pleasure to work with them.

Today I received the one you mention, plus another, about as interesting, after 3pm :
"I have 2 translation and 2 proofreading jobs totalling 8737 words. This is of a business consulting/management related set of powerpoint slides.
If you are available to take on ~4300 words for translation to be completed by 8pm on 26 Nov 15, please let me know."
(my bolding). How enticing.

I've asked many times to be removed from their books, with no success, including while replying to these two messages (with all previous messages from them as attachments).

They have the typical processes of word factories (we all know their names): mass emails, online platforms, low rates and irrelevant facts (top payers, credit crunch, new processes in place, customers demanding MT/paying later, high-profile end customers, other translators in same language pair accepting peanuts and all sorts of rubbish).

To be avoided.

Philippe

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Strangely enough Nov 25, 2015

It says on their website (easily found by Googling the wording of the email) that they pay $120 per thousand.

Unless another company has cut and pasted text from their site. Does their name begin with V?

[Edited at 2015-11-25 17:32 GMT]

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
top 10 Nov 26, 2015

top 10% of highest paying employers

... if there are typos in their mail perhaps what they wanted to say was "highest praying employers" or "highest preying employers" even.....

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
???? Nov 26, 2015

Maybe in their "village" (= their reality) they are, but in the real world....???? So, it all depends on their vision compared with... ????

Or maybe a wrong/misunderstood marketing strategy ????

In short, my answer is ????

[Edited at 2015-11-26 23:12 GMT]

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Maybe they are Nov 27, 2015

and we're simply not "employees". (We aren't).

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
just ignore, or take the Mickey Nov 28, 2015

with these spammers/scammers if you got time for that; but as for

Don't bother - been there, got the T-shirt - most often than not you wouldn't even receive an acknowledgment, let alone a thank-you message for your efforts.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Their employees Nov 28, 2015

Perhaps they do pay their employees a good salary...good for them. Offering the rate Tomás mentioned can only be a joke. So it's time to while hitting "delete".

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Nov 30, 2015

It is so fantastic to see so many different opinions. Yes, I know this is the type of customer professional translators should not touch even with a barge pole!

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 16:13
English to Romanian
Their test Dec 6, 2015

I took their General Knowledge test (which includes several paragraphs in different domains) on Nov. 26th and haven't received any reply so far.

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 16:13
English to Romanian
Negative impression Dec 26, 2015

It's been a month and I still haven't received any reply to my test - or message - I've contacted them.

Unfortunately, I cannot enter a BB record for them, as I haven't worked for them.

If I had done this with one of their projects, what would have happened?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Amongst the top 10% of highest paying employers"

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »