Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Translator charging per page - 175 words per page ??
Thread poster: emilens
emilens
emilens
Chile
May 20, 2016

Hi,

I have a question for all translators out there, regarding how many words that are normal to include per page if you charge per page? I thought the "standard" was 250 words (from source document) per page, when charging a fixed price per page. The translator I hired is charging me per page, and only includes 174 words per page which I find very low. I am used to a page being at least 250 words.

I should of course have asked the translator I hired to explain this in
... See more
Hi,

I have a question for all translators out there, regarding how many words that are normal to include per page if you charge per page? I thought the "standard" was 250 words (from source document) per page, when charging a fixed price per page. The translator I hired is charging me per page, and only includes 174 words per page which I find very low. I am used to a page being at least 250 words.

I should of course have asked the translator I hired to explain this in detail before going ahead with the translation, but since he stated he would charge me X USD per page translated I just assumed that it would be about 250 words per page. When invoicing me it turns out he is charging me a lot more pages than I expected since he only includes 174 words per page.

It would be nice to hear other translators´ opinion on the matter.

Thank you!
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

You didn't know the page count before? May 21, 2016

How did you get in this position? Shouldn't you have known the page count before he started?

emilens
emilens
Chile
TOPIC STARTER
Mistake is on me, just want to know the standard in the industry May 21, 2016

You are right- I should have asked for the page count before he started, but I did not. I made the mistake of assuming it would be about 250 words per page. I really just want to know from other translators what the normal is for words per page when charging this way.

I will pay him what he is invoicing me, but it would be helpful to know the standard for this when hiring other translators in the future.

Thank you.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:56
German to English
+ ...
unusual perhaps May 22, 2016

I have not ever run into a "per page" charge, though I have heard of it. End clients sometimes tell me they have x pages and ask how much I charge, and I tell them that I don't charge that way. If you are not in the translation field yourself, but simply an end client, then you should have been given better guidance.

When clients come to me, I examine the entire document and then I give my fee for the translation. The rule of thumb is "word count" which gives us a general idea, b
... See more
I have not ever run into a "per page" charge, though I have heard of it. End clients sometimes tell me they have x pages and ask how much I charge, and I tell them that I don't charge that way. If you are not in the translation field yourself, but simply an end client, then you should have been given better guidance.

When clients come to me, I examine the entire document and then I give my fee for the translation. The rule of thumb is "word count" which gives us a general idea, but in fact, we look at the work as a whole. The policy that I cite to any lay person who contacts me for a translation is:
- send me your document
- I will examine it and give you my quote of fee and completion date
- If you agree to both, and only if we agree to both, then we have a working relationship (a contract).
The client has no surprises, such as you have just had.

A "per page" fee could also be literally "per page". I.e. you hand in something that has 50 pages. Some of the pages have 350 words, some have 500 words, some have 2 words, but the charge is $nn / page X 50 = 50nn. I can't really see a per page charge.
Collapse

Frank Zou
Frank Zou  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 20:56
Member (2016)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Not common May 22, 2016

One page can be made into 2 or more pages if you adjust the font and space between lines. That's common sense. In your case, I assume you agree with him on number of pages of the translated text. That is not a common practice. There's no specification regarding how many words one page should cover. The price should have been agreed upon before the translation started.

Darmali
Darmali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 19:56
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Source or target page count? May 22, 2016

Did you agree on a source or target page count?

Angela

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Books May 22, 2016

Years ago, I translated a number of books for a fixed price per page. Those books were sent to me as... books, dead-tree books. While a full page usually was about 250 words, to my initial surprise, blank pages, and pages with only a few words were also paid as "a page." That made sense in the case of dead-tree books to arrive at a lump sum, and it still may make sense if the OP sent the translator similar documents.

Cheers,

Hans

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
250 May 22, 2016

I presume you mentioned to the translator that it was per "standard page". If so, 250 words is the standard. You can check. Just take any text with standard font, standard margins and standard font size. On average it should contain around 250 words.

For example, I roughly estimate word count of a standard pdf document that contains standard text, without converting the file. I know that if it contains 10 pages, the word count will not exceed 3,000 words. Now, I never charge per pag
... See more
I presume you mentioned to the translator that it was per "standard page". If so, 250 words is the standard. You can check. Just take any text with standard font, standard margins and standard font size. On average it should contain around 250 words.

For example, I roughly estimate word count of a standard pdf document that contains standard text, without converting the file. I know that if it contains 10 pages, the word count will not exceed 3,000 words. Now, I never charge per page. If I take on the project, I run the file through my OCR software and charge based on the actual word count of the source document.
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:56
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Language? May 22, 2016

I am astonished nobody mentioned this.

A "page" or any other given volume has surely more words in English than for example in German or Finnish that may have very long words...

Discussing about the number of words is merely theoretical as long as we don't know the languages involved.

[Bearbeitet am 2016-05-22 09:21 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
It doesn't really matter May 22, 2016

Christel Zipfel wrote:
A "page" or any other given volume has surely more words in English than for example in German or Finnish that may have very long words...

In the case of a dead-tree book, or a large "dead" PDF, a publisher is only interested if the translation fits his budget, and the agency if he can offer his end-clent a competing price.

Cheers,

Hans

emilens
emilens
Chile
TOPIC STARTER
Just to clarify May 22, 2016

Just to clarify - i sent him a 50 page pdf document, where some pages (source document) has 580 words per page and others 135 words, to give an example.

He then sent me a quote where he did not state the total amount to be charged, only " I will charge XX USD per translated page". I want to be clear I was the one making the mistake of hiring without understanding the quote, only assuming it would mean what I am used to from previous experiences (1 translated page = 250 words from so
... See more
Just to clarify - i sent him a 50 page pdf document, where some pages (source document) has 580 words per page and others 135 words, to give an example.

He then sent me a quote where he did not state the total amount to be charged, only " I will charge XX USD per translated page". I want to be clear I was the one making the mistake of hiring without understanding the quote, only assuming it would mean what I am used to from previous experiences (1 translated page = 250 words from source document), and that therefore I will pay what he has invoiced me, although I would never have hired him if I new that his definition of 1 page = 174 words from source document, which I find an incredible low number.

Thank you all for your feedback so far
Collapse

Mirja Maletzki
Mirja Maletzki  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:56
Korean to German
+ ...
220 to 250 May 22, 2016

In my experience it's 220 (Korea) to 250.

I also find 174 extremely low.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
So... May 22, 2016

emilens wrote:

He then sent me a quote where he did not state the total amount to be charged, only " I will charge XX USD per translated page".

Did they actually charge you for 50 pages in the end? If they did, since you sent them a PDF with 50 pages, and you both agreed to a 'per page' fee, well, that wouldn't sound very odd to me, although they could've mentioned the total amount with their quote...

One thing that actually sounds even more ambiguous to me is the expression "per translated page", as opposed to "per source page"... Are you sure they're not charging you "per target page"?

Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
225 words May 22, 2016

In my standard system 1 page corresponds to 225 words.

Rolf

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
page as fixed number of characters May 22, 2016

Pages are not uncommon units in certain countries and markets. The definitions vary, but in my experience, they have always based on a set number of characters being defined as a page (but the number of characters, whether to count in the source or the target text, whether to count spaces and other significant details vary substantially).
I've never heard of them being based on a number of words in a translation context (although I do think that there was something about 250 words for Eng
... See more
Pages are not uncommon units in certain countries and markets. The definitions vary, but in my experience, they have always based on a set number of characters being defined as a page (but the number of characters, whether to count in the source or the target text, whether to count spaces and other significant details vary substantially).
I've never heard of them being based on a number of words in a translation context (although I do think that there was something about 250 words for English term papers at my US university = one inch margins, 12 point Times New Roman and double spaced).

Basing an offer on number of pages, but not defining the meaning of "page" seems very strange, because I would think most people are aware that there is no universally understood definition. I would ask the translator what a "page" is, just out of curiosity.

And with a page count based on a German or - even more so - an English text, it would be more or less impossible to get down to an average of 175 words per page over the course of a substantial text.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator charging per page - 175 words per page ??

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »