Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Working with an agency - how many projects before getting paid?
Thread poster: cloudhunter (X)
cloudhunter (X)
cloudhunter (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:40
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So it seems :) Jul 29, 2016

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

... this type of boss?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX0r6DsvXAU

But I did get paid (the first one). The second one is two days late now but they have just informed me to have paid it, too.

The thing is, I have got pretty sure it is the boss and definitely not the PMs. The PMs are very friendly and even more helpful. And they are not responsible for the payments at all. All this being said, they did everything to find out where my money was and when it would be paid.

cloudhunter (X)
cloudhunter (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The story does go on... Aug 11, 2016

What I thought was a good and nice cooperation will be ending, I am afraid.

They did pay the first two invoices (every one of them a few days late) with many explanations which actually were none of my business (I should actually not care if the boss is on holiday and has poor internet access). But they paid within a reasonable time.
The amounts were not significant, though.

And now it is about a bigger amount which was due on Monday. One PM told me they would pay
... See more
What I thought was a good and nice cooperation will be ending, I am afraid.

They did pay the first two invoices (every one of them a few days late) with many explanations which actually were none of my business (I should actually not care if the boss is on holiday and has poor internet access). But they paid within a reasonable time.
The amounts were not significant, though.

And now it is about a bigger amount which was due on Monday. One PM told me they would pay until today. The same day I got a reply from another PM telling me it would be paid by the end of week because the clients paid them late (pardon, but do I care?). Then after a few minutes I got another mail from the same PM hoping that I understand and it will not affect our cooperation.

Well, I replied I like working with the PMs, too but since translating is my main income source I cannot afford waiting everytime. The thing is they give me a lot of jobs which makes it almost impossible to work for someone else. Which means I have no time to earn real money and I am waiting everytime to get paid.
Collapse

Mohd Hamzah
Mohd Hamzah  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 23:40
English to Malay
+ ...
Improve your profile since this is your main income Aug 12, 2016

Hi.

Since this is your main income, then why not you improve your profile so that it will be good for the client to evaluate and study your capabilities/skills and experiences. What just happened was great experience for you to face a better tomorrow.

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Sorry to hear about all this Aug 12, 2016

Hi, cloudhunter, so sorry to hear about your experience. May I suggest you do not depend on just one client next time for all your income? Because PMs move on and when a new one comes along, they might change translators or contact translators they know or assign work differently if there is more than one translator for a certain language pair. Leave space so you do not drop your ither clients and can take on new clients. Hope you solve your problem.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:40
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
The road to ruin Aug 12, 2016

cloudhunter wrote:
The thing is they give me a lot of jobs which makes it almost impossible to work for someone else. Which means I have no time to earn real money and I am waiting everytime to get paid.

That's what they're counting on. They're working you in the way that a fisherman works a fish: giving you a little bait before reeling you in; then making you think things are getting better, before reeling you in a bit more. You think you've invested too much in them to break loose? In reality, you have to break loose NOW or you'll end up never again having any freedom of action. As you say, you'll be too busy for that. You'll be a simple slave waiting for crumbs from under their shoes.

Believe me, you can't afford NOT to dump them. Find other clients - not just one, but several.

Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno
Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
So you are getting paid after all Aug 12, 2016

or not? Many agencies are late payers (1 to 2 weeks over the due date).

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working with an agency - how many projects before getting paid?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »