Thread poster: Федор Хатламаджиев
Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:32
Serbian to English
+ ...
ditch them Aug 7, 2016

You are in Russia they are in Austria - if they don't want to pay 100% in advance, just ditch them!

Dragging them to court if necessary is at best a huge waste of time, and in your case it is simply not a realistic option with you being in Russia - they can use any excuse or even none to simply not pay you, even without this utterly ridiculous clause.

Why should you take any risks with people you can dream up such abusive clauses?

Leaving aside the legal as
... See more
You are in Russia they are in Austria - if they don't want to pay 100% in advance, just ditch them!

Dragging them to court if necessary is at best a huge waste of time, and in your case it is simply not a realistic option with you being in Russia - they can use any excuse or even none to simply not pay you, even without this utterly ridiculous clause.

Why should you take any risks with people you can dream up such abusive clauses?

Leaving aside the legal aspects of it (like innocent until proven guilty etc), from the purely practical point of view, while it is possible to some extent to prove who did leak some information it is simply impossible for anyone to prove that he/she didn't! IOW, such an abusive clause is a handy way to always have a ready excuse not to pay, whenever they fancy it! Not the kind of people worth working with!

If they are such a big agency and have an office in Russia, request a contract with their Russian branch, subject to Russian law, after removing this ridiculous clause, if you think it's worth at all working with people with that kind of attitude!
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:32
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Cross it out Aug 8, 2016

Федор Хатламаджиев wrote:
If the receiving party violates the provisions of this agreement, it shall owe the Disclosing Party a contractual penalty irrespective of the damage and/or fault, in the amount of EUR 20 000 – for each violation. It shall rest with the receiving party to submit evidence that no violation of the obligation to confidentiality exists.

You understood it correctly. The agency is hoping to impress upon you how serious they take any breaches, so they add this clause to frighten you. No doubt the PM will reply, when you query it, that you should have no objection signing this if you don't intend to violate the agreement, but that is not how contracts work.

You have a simple answer to this clause: "I'm just a freelance translator and I don't have the financial means to include this promise in the contract". Because anyone signing this should only sign it if they have a spare EUR 20 000 available, otherwise they're signing it in bad faith because they are unable to comply with what they sign.

Perhaps the PM will tell you that they never actually intend to charge you EUR 20 000, or that it had never happened before that a translator was forced to pay it, and that it's only there because their lawyer said that it should be there, but you should never agree to something bad that "will probably never happen".

So cross it out, sign in the margin, and send the amended contract to the PM, and mention it in your reply.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:32
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
2 points Aug 8, 2016

Daryo wrote:

Leaving aside the legal aspects of it (like innocent until proven guilty etc), from the purely practical point of view, while it is possible to some extent to prove who did leak some information it is simply impossible for anyone to prove that he/she didn't! IOW, such an abusive clause is a handy way to always have a ready excuse not to pay, whenever they fancy it! Not the kind of people worth working with!

If they are such a big agency and have an office in Russia, request a contract with their Russian branch, subject to Russian law, after removing this ridiculous clause, if you think it's worth at all working with people with that kind of attitude!

I agree: it is virtually impossible to prove you didn't do sth like this. Hence, the clause is meaningless, and should be crossed out. I'm also not sure how many courts would even consider it valid in the first place.

Second point: if you don't actually have €20,000 to spare to pay them in the event of a breach, you can't really sign it in good faith either. I certainly wouldn't be able to pay that kind of money.

Michael

[Edited at 2016-08-08 07:07 GMT]

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Jurisdiction issue, but... Aug 8, 2016

Федор Хатламаджиев wrote:

Dear colleagues,

I got into contact with a very big and serious company from Austria for provision of translation services.
One of their requirements was signing of NDA, which is an obligatory condition and text of which is an absolutely standard for all contractors.

I was to sign the NDA very quickly before signing contract, because I have already worked with this company at a different project (so it is proven and reliable, at least as contractor), but there was a condition which made me ask for your help: "If the receiving party violates the provisions of this agreement, it shall owe the Disclosing Party a contractual penalty irrespective of the damage and/or fault, in the amount of EUR 20 000 – for each violation. It shall rest with the receiving party to submit evidence that no violation of the obligation to confidentiality exists".

Amount of penalty is quite strange, but even stranger is that I will have to prove that I did not violate the terms.
In my understanding this is something impossible, but I may be wrong, so please, I would be very grateful if you could comment on this.

Thanks in advance.

The applicable law will probalby Austrian law. However,I would be very suprised if this guilty-until-proven-innocent-type clause swere to be considered legal. Striking it out makes no difference as you are then in effect returning a signed contract which is not the same as the one sent to you. It would require the other party's signature to be considered as acccepted. This could go on for ages. I think the main point is as already said : this clause is so unrasonable as to (probably, in most jurisdictions) not even be worth the paper it's written on.

I wouldn't work with a company with this policy as it is looking for trouble. Your insurers probably wouldn't cover it either! Steer clear!

[Edited at 2016-08-08 21:21 GMT]

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 20:32
English to Thai
+ ...
Copyrights law is fair enough Aug 26, 2016

Daryo wrote:

I insist that an unfair agreement to translators is a breach of copyrights law since the law prevent unilateral execution of provisions without endorsement of the agreement counterpart. NDA is used as a threat rather than a reasonable law enforcement. A number of NDAs are made without actual transactions of jobs, and they are not valid. I insist that we have more legal insights to execute the NDA of poor translation agencies etc.

Soonthon L.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Nikki Aug 26, 2016

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:
Striking it out makes no difference as you are then in effect returning a signed contract which is not the same as the one sent to you. It would require the other party's signature to be considered as accepted.

Yes, but that doesn't matter. If the other party doesn't accept your modifications, and still sends you work, then it means that your business relationship is not based on that contract but on fair business principles.

I think the main point is as already said: this clause is so unreasonable as to (probably, in most jurisdictions) not even be worth the paper it's written on.

A quick google on "liquidated damages clauses" and "penalty clauses" does appear to support your opinion (if you mean "the clause [not the entire contract] is not worth the paper it's written on"). However, I think it's rather dangerous to sign something knowingly, while thinking to oneself that what you're signing isn't really valid because in your opinion it is onerous. You can never be 100% certain what a court would rule in your case, so why take the risk?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

NDA with penalty amount and need to prove non-violation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »