Off topic: Translating for a cult
Thread poster: earlyesther
earlyesther
earlyesther
Local time: 15:12
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Aug 18, 2014

Has anyone ever performed translation for an organization regarded as a cult by the society?

[Edited at 2014-08-19 00:23 GMT]

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
I'd advise staying as far away as possible Aug 18, 2014

from working for the cult you actually mentioned. Look on the www to see who they are. No one will benefit from reading about them in any language.
We do have to be careful about accepting work from organizations already in trouble with the law.
That's my opinion anyway.

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:12
French to English
No, but... Aug 18, 2014

It would really depend on which cult it was, the purpose of the translation, the laws of the country, any possible legal implications, my own personal convictions... Not so long ago, I read about a translator in France who was arrested for being an accessory to terrorist acts - the translator was translating some type of extremist newsletter if I remember well?

I think you must carefully evaluate all the potential implications of this project before accepting.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:12
German to English
Don't do it Aug 18, 2014

The same applies to political parties. Apart from the obvious risks relating being tied to such organizations, you'll find yourself getting pleas for money, assistance, free work, etc. Life provides enough annoyances without having to look for them.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:12
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@esther: Aug 18, 2014

Are you talking about a specific cult, or just cults in general? There are all kinds of cults, many completely harmless. Many not so harmless.

Michael

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Keep away Aug 18, 2014

Have you looked them up?

sentenced to life in prison...
engaged in horrendous conduct involving sexual abuse of a minor child...

http://www.thecitywire.com/node/31193#.U_KQGGPp9BY
and
http://tinyurl.com/2k5wap

[Edited at 2014-08-18 23:56 GMT]

earlyesther
earlyesther
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have discontinued the project Aug 19, 2014

Thank you very much for all of your comments. This group claims itself as a Christian Ministry, but I finally found that their leader have served in prison for 5 years out of his 175 years sentence for sex abuse to girls. This group has claimed that their leader is a victim of false accusation. I know that US judiciary system is not 100% perfect and there is possibility that a few of them who are now serving in prison might not commit the crime accused to them, but... yea... Before convicted for... See more
Thank you very much for all of your comments. This group claims itself as a Christian Ministry, but I finally found that their leader have served in prison for 5 years out of his 175 years sentence for sex abuse to girls. This group has claimed that their leader is a victim of false accusation. I know that US judiciary system is not 100% perfect and there is possibility that a few of them who are now serving in prison might not commit the crime accused to them, but... yea... Before convicted for such crime, this pastor had served in prison for 4 years for avoiding to pay his taxes.

I also found that some parts of his teachings, like the polygamy and other interpretation of the orders in The Bible, does not align with my Christian believe.

After great deliberation I ask for their understanding of my decision to discontinue my working relationship with them.

[Edited at 2014-08-19 00:23 GMT]
Collapse

earlyesther
earlyesther
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, it is, Rachel Aug 19, 2014

@Rachel : It was exactly my main consideration Thank you

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Rachel: Aug 19, 2014

Rachel Fell wrote:

Have you looked them up?

sentenced to life in prison...
engaged in horrendous conduct involving sexual abuse of a minor child...

http://www.thecitywire.com/node/31193#.U_KQGGPp9BY
and
http://tinyurl.com/2k5wap

[Edited at 2014-08-18 23:56 GMT]

Was that ('Have you looked them up?') directed at me? I seem to be missing something here, as all the Asker said was:

'Translating for a cult
Has anyone ever performed translation for an organization regarded as a cult by the society?'

Where is everyone getting that extra information from? I'm assuming Proz made Esther remove their real name from her original post, but why am I the only person here who didn't know who Esther is talking about?

In any case, if we are talking about the people in your two links, then I'd definitely stay well away from them.

Michael

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
No Aug 19, 2014

@ Michael - it wasn't directed at you at all, but the Asker, Esther

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Rachel: Aug 19, 2014

I see. Still doesn't answer my question though. How did you know who she was talking about?

Michael

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Choose wisely Aug 19, 2014

One should clearly only translate for a true faith, not for some kind of scheme in a religious format.

The problem lies in identifying what is a true faith. If you ask me, a true faith is one that, while keeping due worship to whatever form of divinity, is useful for mankind in terms of promoting human rights, freedom, justice, and equal opportunities and respect for all people irrespective of their sex, age, origin, health, wealth, or social status.

Even the humanest,
... See more
One should clearly only translate for a true faith, not for some kind of scheme in a religious format.

The problem lies in identifying what is a true faith. If you ask me, a true faith is one that, while keeping due worship to whatever form of divinity, is useful for mankind in terms of promoting human rights, freedom, justice, and equal opportunities and respect for all people irrespective of their sex, age, origin, health, wealth, or social status.

Even the humanest, most beneficial, most honest, most charitable of faiths have their black sheep when it comes to respecting law -- I know of at least one big faith whose founder was executed in the cruelest of ways as the worst type of criminal under the laws of his time --, so one should concentrate more on the purposes and goals of a faith, and not the faults or sins of its representatives, if one is to translate for them.
Collapse

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Post edited after orginal version Aug 19, 2014

Michael Beijer wrote:

I see. Still doesn't answer my question though. How did you know who she was talking about?

Michael

I suppose Esther wrote the name of the client on her first version of the post, and on second tought (or at staff request) she deleted it shortly after that.
Some reader who happened to read the original version have seen the information and made some research.

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 16:12
Chinese to English
+ ...
Thread necro May 5, 2015

A while ago I received a request to translate content from a Christian group. The text itself was not particularly unusual, though it sounded a little fervent. I backed out, however, when I googled the source text and found that it came from a group that has had a less than pristine reputation, and I let the agency know as much.

Since then I have seen job posts from outsourcers on the job boards that look like they may have originated from the same source, but not the agency that or
... See more
A while ago I received a request to translate content from a Christian group. The text itself was not particularly unusual, though it sounded a little fervent. I backed out, however, when I googled the source text and found that it came from a group that has had a less than pristine reputation, and I let the agency know as much.

Since then I have seen job posts from outsourcers on the job boards that look like they may have originated from the same source, but not the agency that originally contacted me, and a different outsourcer each time. Presumably the original agency backed out as well, and this group has been jumping from agency to agency looking for translations.
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 13:42
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
We are not here to moralize May 7, 2015

As professionals, we just approach our work without bringing in extraneous factors into consideration such as ethics or morality.

Our job is just to transform text in one language into other.

Of course we should not run foul of the law, but barring that, anything else should be game for us.

For other wise, a lot of things will become out of bounds for us - the military (it causes so much killing of fellow humans), meat industry (for staunch vegetarians), th
... See more
As professionals, we just approach our work without bringing in extraneous factors into consideration such as ethics or morality.

Our job is just to transform text in one language into other.

Of course we should not run foul of the law, but barring that, anything else should be game for us.

For other wise, a lot of things will become out of bounds for us - the military (it causes so much killing of fellow humans), meat industry (for staunch vegetarians), the tobacco industry (leads to cancer), automobile and ancillary industries (cause pollution and climate change)... you can extend the list indefinitely, until there is practically nothing for us to translate!

So, let us not moralize or play with ethics, but stick to our job of translating.

As a moral poser, think of this question - Will it be ok for a doctor to refuse to treat a critically ill murderer? Or for a lawyer to refuse to stand for a person who is into heinous crime?

BTW, I think this is a very relevant question for translators and is not at all off topic. The thread should be moved into Translation Matters or some more relevant forum.

[Edited at 2015-05-07 13:54 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating for a cult

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »