Thread poster: TB CommuniCAT
TB CommuniCAT
TB CommuniCAT  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:26
English to French
Sep 25, 2014

Hello,

I have recently applied to an internal translation position and have now been contacted by the agency stating that I meet the minimum requirements. They have not granted me an interview yet, but would like to see a copy of my diploma, references and samples of translation. I do not have any issues providing them with those documents, but I just thought that usually one would go for an interview first before the company asks for references and a copy of your diploma. I was
... See more
Hello,

I have recently applied to an internal translation position and have now been contacted by the agency stating that I meet the minimum requirements. They have not granted me an interview yet, but would like to see a copy of my diploma, references and samples of translation. I do not have any issues providing them with those documents, but I just thought that usually one would go for an interview first before the company asks for references and a copy of your diploma. I was wondering if this is a new trend where they want to ensure "your honesty" instead of going through the whole process and find out that the candidate is unable to provide the required documents.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Not unusual Sep 25, 2014

I don't think the request would be unusual if it is a salaried in-house position. And I suppose that if an interview is a possibility, it must be local as well, or close to where you are based. Most outfits will want to peruse all your documentation before deciding who they will interview, which is only for the most outstanding candidates.

Natalia Mackevich
Natalia Mackevich  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:26
English to Russian
+ ...
Just an idea Sep 26, 2014

They've seen you CV and cover letter, haven't they? And they do know that you do have a diploma. You can reply that you will show them the required documents during the interview.

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson
Spain
Local time: 00:26
Catalan to English
+ ...
Standard issue Sep 27, 2014

TB Communicate wrote:

Hello,

I have recently applied to an internal translation position and have now been contacted by the agency stating that I meet the minimum requirements. They have not granted me an interview yet, but would like to see a copy of my diploma, references and samples of translation. I do not have any issues providing them with those documents, but I just thought that usually one would go for an interview first before the company asks for references and a copy of your diploma. I was wondering if this is a new trend where they want to ensure "your honesty" instead of going through the whole process and find out that the candidate is unable to provide the required documents.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Really doesn't matter which sector a salaried position is in, be it translation or otherwise.

Interviewing is a time-consuming effort and I believe it's only natural they should want to sort the wheat from the proverbial before investing time, money and energy in part of the process.

From what I can see, they've asked for no more than any agency would of a any translator, whether the latter chooses to accept or not.

Are you suggesting they should go to the time, trouble and expense of interviewing candidates who don't have "diplomas, samples, experience, etc..."?

[Edited at 2014-09-28 00:50 GMT]

TB CommuniCAT
TB CommuniCAT  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 30, 2014

Thank you everyone for your response!

Edward Vreeburg
Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:26
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
just say no Oct 2, 2014

They wil likely:

- use your profile to show to their client their translators are qualified (while handing out the work to the lowest bidder)
- not be able to pay the rates you ask for
- contact your clients and say they can provide the same quality for hald the price
- steal your identy, by modifying the e-mailaddress slightly on your CV and taking over the work from your clients
- some might even go as far as to contact other agencies and say your e-mail ad
... See more
They wil likely:

- use your profile to show to their client their translators are qualified (while handing out the work to the lowest bidder)
- not be able to pay the rates you ask for
- contact your clients and say they can provide the same quality for hald the price
- steal your identy, by modifying the e-mailaddress slightly on your CV and taking over the work from your clients
- some might even go as far as to contact other agencies and say your e-mail address has changed!

SO BEWARE - translator are far too gullible..

Why would you send all that stuff, if you have no agreement on the rates/ budget they offer?????

Ed
Collapse

Michelle Kusuda
Michelle Kusuda  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Absolutely agree. Oct 2, 2014

First, do find out if it is in fact an advertised position. Bona fide companies usually ask you to come in for an interview and perform an in-house translation test. Beware of companies that ask for "client references", as most of the time, they contact your clients and offer to provide them additional services to lure them away from you.

[Edited at 2014-10-02 10:37 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation job - new trend

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »