Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:35
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 28, 2015

Dear colleagues, and staff

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this personal campain here in order to help our Urugayan colleague Patty Antuña whose flat caught fire last year. Patty is a single mother, with tree kids, one autistic, and a great woman. She she must pay a large sum of money to her landlady.

https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/7yXJ7

I know she w
... See more

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this personal campain here in order to help our Urugayan colleague Patty Antuña whose flat caught fire last year. Patty is a single mother, with tree kids, one autistic, and a great woman. She she must pay a large sum of money to her landlady.

I know she works a lot, but her effots haven't been enough to solve her critical situation.

If my posting is considered inappropiate, please feel free to delete it.

(http://www.proz.com/profile/887372 Note: her profile is not updated and she's been divorced for a couple of years).

Kind regards

Clarisa
Collapse

Anna Brown
Anna Brown  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm glad to hear no one was hurt. Apr 28, 2015

I wish her and her family the best of luck during this difficult time. Hopefully we can all give a little and help her out.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:35
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Some details are missing from the story Apr 29, 2015

As a renter, why is she responsible for the owner's property? Doesn't the owner have insurance? Why is she responsible for rent when the building is uninhabitable.

In my opinion, any money donated to her should go to helping her replace her belongings (assuming she did not have renter's insurance - which is usually less than $200 a year) and finding a new residence and not pay any money to her former landlady for current or future rent or to repair the owner's property.

... See more
As a renter, why is she responsible for the owner's property? Doesn't the owner have insurance? Why is she responsible for rent when the building is uninhabitable.

In my opinion, any money donated to her should go to helping her replace her belongings (assuming she did not have renter's insurance - which is usually less than $200 a year) and finding a new residence and not pay any money to her former landlady for current or future rent or to repair the owner's property.

Something doesn't make sense...

[Edited at 2015-04-29 00:35 GMT]
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
United States
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
We live in LatinAmerica, not the States. Apr 29, 2015

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

Something doesn't make sense...

[Edited at 2015-04-29 00:35 GMT]

I does not make sense to me neither. And I'm not sure why she is responsible, but she was declared by law (or by some authority) responsible for the fire because she was living there. The fact is that she has to pay to her landlady the repairs of the damages, and in Uruguay, or Argentina, or Venezuela, we don't have renter insurance. She has a big debt, she rises three kids alone (one of them autistic, which is something that costs her a lot, and even tough she works, she cannot afford to pay the amount established by the authority). I helped her without asking why the Uruguyan law, or the fire fighters or the auditors, or who ever migh be, has decided that she has to pay the damages.

You are free to contact her (Paty Antuña Yarza) and ask why. But I believe, she still doesn't understand either why she is responsible.

[Edited at 2015-04-29 04:37 GMT]

Regarding insurance: very few people in our countries have home insurance.

[Edited at 2015-04-29 04:39 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-04-29 04:49 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:35
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Scam? Apr 29, 2015

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

I know she works a lot, but her effots haven't been enough to solve her critical situation.

If my posting is considered inappropiate, please feel free to delete it.

(http://www.proz.com/profile/887372 Note: her profile is not updated and she's been divorced for a couple of years).

Kind regards

Clarisa

Sorry if I seem cynical but we get a lot of scammers here on Proz. Please provide more credible evidence that the person you mention actually exists, and more detailed information about the nature of the problem and why she has to pay.

[Edited at 2015-04-29 08:06 GMT]

Clarisa Moraña
United States
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I know personally her May 1, 2015

Dear Tom

I understand what you mean. I can only tell you that I've meet her personnally at one of the Proz.com congress that took place in Uruguay a couple of years ago. She was working there, she had a book stand. i'm known by some of the staff members here, I'm even known by H. Dotterer. I would never post here something of what i'm not sure that has happened.

The reason why the law held her responsible, I don't know. I imagine that the reason is that she was talki
... See more
Dear Tom

I understand what you mean. I can only tell you that I've meet her personnally at one of the Proz.com congress that took place in Uruguay a couple of years ago. She was working there, she had a book stand. i'm known by some of the staff members here, I'm even known by H. Dotterer. I would never post here something of what i'm not sure that has happened.

The reason why the law held her responsible, I don't know. I imagine that the reason is that she was talking on the phone when the fire started (why they didn't take into account that the fire fighters arrived late is something that I also ignore). I guess it is because in our countries the law rule in favor of the owner, but this is my personnal opinion. I have not read the sentence.

She does not need any help for the belongings. We might not have home insurance in Latin America, but people solidarity and sympathy is absolutelly big: in less than a week, friends and aquaintances had donated her everything they needed: a PC for her to work, beds, towels, clothes, shoes, a modem... Everything. Nevertheless, the huge amount established by the authority in order to repair the house cannot be covered with her daily translation job.

Regards

Clarisa
Collapse

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:35
German to English
+ ...
More information May 3, 2015

Is it possible for Paty herself to come to this forum and explain?

I really do believe that this happened and it is very sad. I hope she and her children are able to move past this tragedy as quickly as possible. But $30,000 is so much money. My questions are:

What happens in general if she doesn't raise the $30,000?
What happens to the donated money if she doesn't reach $30,000?

Is there any other help we could provide that would be useful? We are a
... See more
Is it possible for Paty herself to come to this forum and explain?

I really do believe that this happened and it is very sad. I hope she and her children are able to move past this tragedy as quickly as possible. But $30,000 is so much money. My questions are:

What happens in general if she doesn't raise the $30,000?
What happens to the donated money if she doesn't reach $30,000?

Is there any other help we could provide that would be useful? We are a network of many and lots of us have contacts in other professions such as legal etc. It sounds to me like at the very laast Paty could use some legal help to negotiate with the courts and reduce the amount she apparently owes.

I think the fundraising would be more successful if there were more information, details like which court exactly declared Paty legally responsible for the fire damage etc.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fire Relief for a colleague

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »