Off topic: Training for Managers
Thread poster: Doreen Stacey
Doreen Stacey
Doreen Stacey
United States
Jul 29, 2015

I just got promoted and I’m now a manager *takes a bow* . Now my question is this, is it too much if I ask the management to give me some training regarding supervision of my staff. I know they have faith in me that is why they gave me the job but personally I want to improve my coaching skills especially now that I have 4-6 staff members to handle. I’ve been self-studying and ... See more
I just got promoted and I’m now a manager *takes a bow* . Now my question is this, is it too much if I ask the management to give me some training regarding supervision of my staff. I know they have faith in me that is why they gave me the job but personally I want to improve my coaching skills especially now that I have 4-6 staff members to handle. I’ve been self-studying and after reading this article http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/6456-new-manager-tips.html I’m convinced that I really need a seminar/training regarding this. So what can you say guys? Is it a go or a no?Collapse

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:19
Russian to English
+ ...
Congratulations! But definitely get some training Jul 30, 2015

I was promoted to a management/supervisory position after about 25 years as a non-managerial employee. My advice is to get training on how to be a supervisor as quickly as you can. Unexpected problems will crop up very quickly, and you will need to have some tools to help you deal with them. For example, you may find yourself having to deal with hostility among your employees and even hostility from one or more of your employees. Very likely, nothing in your experience as an employee will have p... See more
I was promoted to a management/supervisory position after about 25 years as a non-managerial employee. My advice is to get training on how to be a supervisor as quickly as you can. Unexpected problems will crop up very quickly, and you will need to have some tools to help you deal with them. For example, you may find yourself having to deal with hostility among your employees and even hostility from one or more of your employees. Very likely, nothing in your experience as an employee will have prepared you for that kind of situation.

In my case, I had acquired a great deal of experience while functioning as a leader in a volunteer organization. When you work with volunteers, you only have the authority that they are willing to give you. As a manager with paid employees, you will have more authority, but how you wield it can have a profound effect on how successful the unit you lead will be.

Management, supervision, and leadership are all distinct functions. Management is concerned with the activities of an organization. Supervision and leadership have more to do with with the people that make up an organization. Training courses typically are oriented towards one of those functions but not all. People are your first concern, so I would suggest that you start by seeking out training that helps you with supervision.
Collapse

Doreen Stacey
Doreen Stacey
United States
TOPIC STARTER
Precisely Aug 26, 2015

James McVay wrote:

Management, supervision, and leadership are all distinct functions. Management is concerned with the activities of an organization. Supervision and leadership have more to do with with the people that make up an organization. Training courses typically are oriented towards one of those functions but not all. People are your first concern, so I would suggest that you start by seeking out training that helps you with supervision.

I very much agree with the above statement that is why I'm keen on acquiring supervisory training because I want to be able perform my duties the right way. I have actually wrote a formal letter to the boss stating my interest with the said training, just waiting for the response. Thank you sir for your reply. I'm glad that someone here can relate to me.

Doreen Stacey
Doreen Stacey
United States
TOPIC STARTER
Just an update. Aug 26, 2015

I feel like I should help myself as well so I decided to buy one of the sets they have here in HRDQ. I found it through google and it looks easy enough. Do you have experience using their sets?

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 00:19
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Books might be helpful, too. Aug 26, 2015

There are thousands of books at Amazon that might help you. In fact, there are so many that you can get lost. Just some examples:

Management (83,624)
Leadership (16,570)
Motivational Management & Leadership (6,082)
Self-Help (18,066)
Interpersonal Relations (761)
etc.

The upside to books is that you can keep them forever whereas seminars tend to fade off over time. Also, books are affordable. As a manager, you might be able to put them
... See more
There are thousands of books at Amazon that might help you. In fact, there are so many that you can get lost. Just some examples:

Management (83,624)
Leadership (16,570)
Motivational Management & Leadership (6,082)
Self-Help (18,066)
Interpersonal Relations (761)
etc.

The upside to books is that you can keep them forever whereas seminars tend to fade off over time. Also, books are affordable. As a manager, you might be able to put them on your expense statement.

My favorite time to read books is when I am on vacation (especially on the beach). Like they say, a good book is like a good companion.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Training for Managers

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »