Powerpoint keeps crashing!!
Thread poster: Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
Local time: 01:45
French to English
Jan 14, 2004

I am (well, trying anyway) to work on a Powerpoint for a customer. I can open it, but every time I try to modify the text, it crashes the software.

Here are the details:

I have Win XP (family edition)

Office XP Pro installed (Powerpoint 2000)

Yesterday I installed 2 Office XP service packs hoping they would repair the problem--no luck!

Strangely, the file does not crash my husband's ppt (he is on a network and has different OS and
... See more
I am (well, trying anyway) to work on a Powerpoint for a customer. I can open it, but every time I try to modify the text, it crashes the software.

Here are the details:

I have Win XP (family edition)

Office XP Pro installed (Powerpoint 2000)

Yesterday I installed 2 Office XP service packs hoping they would repair the problem--no luck!

Strangely, the file does not crash my husband's ppt (he is on a network and has different OS and older version of PPT)so I was able to start work on the file using his machine, but he's off on a business trip today, so I need to solve the problem!

One last bit of info: the document was zipped using "Stuffit." I re-"unstuffed" it in the event that the file was damaged during compression, etc., but still no luck.

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Sara
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No solution, though Jan 14, 2004

please contact me privately and send me the file, perhaps I would be able to save it again for you in an older ppt version in order to avoid crashing.

I have no idea, why this happens.
The only possibility I can think of, are missing fonts. Try to replace missing fonts before you attempt to change the document. Go to Format - Replace fonts (or similar, I´m using german version of PPT) and replace all fonts showing question mark. Perhaps it helps.

BTW, are you sur
... See more
please contact me privately and send me the file, perhaps I would be able to save it again for you in an older ppt version in order to avoid crashing.

I have no idea, why this happens.
The only possibility I can think of, are missing fonts. Try to replace missing fonts before you attempt to change the document. Go to Format - Replace fonts (or similar, I´m using german version of PPT) and replace all fonts showing question mark. Perhaps it helps.

BTW, are you sure you are using Office XP? Then you would have Powerpoint 2002. Powerpoint 2000 was the previous version.

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Oops! Yes it is PPT 2002! Jan 14, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

BTW, are you sure you are using Office XP? Then you would have Powerpoint 2002. Powerpoint 2000 was the previous version.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
PowerPoint (XP) still crashing in 2015! Jan 23, 2015

I too am using Office XP, running under W7.

I have a problem with certain specific PPT files (almost exclusively from one single customer)

They were originally delivered as PPTX files, and so were converted when I opened them in Office XP; I can then save them OK as straight PPT files.

I thought the crashing was maybe soemthing to do with the conversion process, so I got my PM to convert them to PPT before sending, but I still get the same file instability.
... See more
I too am using Office XP, running under W7.

I have a problem with certain specific PPT files (almost exclusively from one single customer)

They were originally delivered as PPTX files, and so were converted when I opened them in Office XP; I can then save them OK as straight PPT files.

I thought the crashing was maybe soemthing to do with the conversion process, so I got my PM to convert them to PPT before sending, but I still get the same file instability.

Sometimes it crashes at the moment I try to open the file; sometimes, I can open the file and make modifications in some slides, but then when I try to scroll past certain slides, they seem to make it crash — I'm not sure, but it always seems to be the same slide, or one or two either side of it. Sometimes this may be in the middle of the presentation, sometimes near the beginning, and sometimes near the end; I have even thought at times that more than one slide might be causing the same problem — it would crash around slide 9, then once I got past that, it would crash again around (say) slide 21.

The behaviour is exactly the same on my much older PC, running XP.

Thinking it might be a problem of disk access time (I work from en external USB drive)

I originally wondered if it was because the file was too big for my poor little laptop's memory — around 40 slides, and about 27 Meg; but I have been able to work without the slightest problem on a much larger presentation with 188 slides and weighing in at 260 Meg.!

It certainly seems to be something to do with the files from this particular customer, but for the moment, I don't know what to tell them to do to correct the problem at their end. The trouble is, this is a regular and important customer!
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Try asking at different places Jan 24, 2015

Tony M wrote:

a problem with certain specific PPT files

As Powerpoint is no translation-specific software at all, you'll be more successful in Powerpoint- or Office-specific forums than in ProZ, I think. Google for powerpoint + forum or for Powerpoint + crash.

Example: http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00720_PowerPoint_crashes_while_opening_certain_presentations.htm

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powerpoint keeps crashing!!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »