John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:35
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Oct 13, 2010

Is there any quick way to extract all the Excel files embedded in a Word document?

I am trying to work on a large Word document that has many embedded Excel files. What I have found is that certain of the Excel charts & tables share common Excel files, but its very confusing to even know how many Excel files are embedded. Many of the worksheets of the embedded Excel files are not visible on the Word document itself, but still have to be translated.

What would be great
... See more
Is there any quick way to extract all the Excel files embedded in a Word document?

I am trying to work on a large Word document that has many embedded Excel files. What I have found is that certain of the Excel charts & tables share common Excel files, but its very confusing to even know how many Excel files are embedded. Many of the worksheets of the embedded Excel files are not visible on the Word document itself, but still have to be translated.

What would be great would be some way to simply extract all the objects embedded in the Word document so they can be counted and translated separately, all at one go.
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:35
Swedish to English
+ ...
Your choices Oct 13, 2010

AFAIK, this is not possible. You have 2 options:
- persuade your customer to send you the Excel files
- else as a desperate last resort, convert the Word file to PDF ( this will display all the Excel data), convert back to Word and translate as normal.
I hope someone has a better solution.

John Fossey
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Original files are embedded, just a question of accessing them Oct 13, 2010

Unfortunately, the end client is a large corporation and many people have had a hand in creating this document - getting the original Excel files isn't practical. On the other hand, they are all there embedded in the Word document, its just a question of extracting them. Right clicking on the embedded object and selecting Chart Object/Worksheet Object > Open will open the embedded file, but with many files embedded it becomes quite confusing to follow them - some seem to be shared, some seem t... See more
Unfortunately, the end client is a large corporation and many people have had a hand in creating this document - getting the original Excel files isn't practical. On the other hand, they are all there embedded in the Word document, its just a question of extracting them. Right clicking on the embedded object and selecting Chart Object/Worksheet Object > Open will open the embedded file, but with many files embedded it becomes quite confusing to follow them - some seem to be shared, some seem to be repeats of others.Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 06:35
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
What CAT tool? Oct 13, 2010

I know for sure that Transit can manage embedded Office files smoothly - meaning that if you import into a project, say, a Word file with embedded Excel files, the info in those files is imported to be translated as well. AFAIR, the only problem is that the Excel info not actually vidsible in the Word file is always imported and some customers do not want to pay for that translation, but you are saying this is what you actually need.

I am not sure but perhaps MemoQ can do it as well
... See more
I know for sure that Transit can manage embedded Office files smoothly - meaning that if you import into a project, say, a Word file with embedded Excel files, the info in those files is imported to be translated as well. AFAIR, the only problem is that the Excel info not actually vidsible in the Word file is always imported and some customers do not want to pay for that translation, but you are saying this is what you actually need.

I am not sure but perhaps MemoQ can do it as well...

Antonin
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 11:35
English to Thai
+ ...
Document properties Oct 13, 2010

In MS Word >File > Properties, you will see embedded files. I also have a reference link about embedded Word file in Excel file: You can operate in an opposite direction for handle the embedded Excelled files.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

John Fossey
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
memoQ Aug 27, 2014

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

I am not sure but perhaps MemoQ can do it as well...

Antonin

It looks like I have come across an old thread that I started, so I might as well finish the story.

Since I originally asked this I have gone through Wordfast, SDL Studio and finally now have memoQ. I am pleased to report that I am in the middle of a large job with 67 embedded Excell documents and memoQ does it all without a hitch. The trick is to import the Word document using "Import with options" and then set it to import the embedded objects.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Extracting embedded Excel files from Word document

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »