Mariam Osmann
Mariam Osmann
Egypt
Local time: 02:45
Member (2007)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Oct 20, 2014

I simply don't find them on the drive, it happened to 3 of my work files, two times in an hour and 15 min.

I just thought of putting my computer offline, and this time I managed to keep the three of them.

Is that a third party working on my computer with a remote connection, or some sort of virus, may be?

Please help this is quiet urgent, it's the first time I encounter something like that.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Mari
... See more
I simply don't find them on the drive, it happened to 3 of my work files, two times in an hour and 15 min.

I just thought of putting my computer offline, and this time I managed to keep the three of them.

Is that a third party working on my computer with a remote connection, or some sort of virus, may be?

Please help this is quiet urgent, it's the first time I encounter something like that.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Mariam
Collapse

Andrea Muller (X)
Andrea Muller (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:45
English to German
+ ...
In temporary folder? Oct 20, 2014

Did the files you tried to save originate from an email or a zipped folder? Then they will be saved in a temporary folder, unless you change the folder manually when saving the document.

I don't know about working off-line would stop this from happening, though.

I usually get my documents back by opening the email or zipped folder again, pretending to save the document and then looking up the path Word uses for that.

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Recent Oct 20, 2014

In Word, can you find them under "File > Recent"? (That's how it is in my Word 2010 version)

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Windows 8? Oct 20, 2014

Are you using Windows 8 by any chance? I have trouble finding them on Windows 8 PC; otherwise, I find no problems. Why don't you use a pendrive and work on it, so you save on it in that case? Should you be be using Windows 8, I save either on Desktop, or pendrive so I find them quickly. I hope this helps. Saving on a pendrive should help in any case.

[Edited at 2014-10-20 17:53 GMT]

Mariam Osmann
Mariam Osmann
Egypt
Member (2007)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Windows 7 Oct 20, 2014

The files were manually/automatically deleted from the work folder. And When I run a search by file name, I just find shortcuts in the same working folder in the search list, but not materially inside the folder.

I hope it's more clear now.

Thank you for trying to help and guide me.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:45
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Anti-virus or virus? Oct 20, 2014

Is your anti-virus quarantining them?

Alternatively, could you have a virus? Trying installing and scanning with Malwarebytes to make sure your system is clean.

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
What a coincidence! Oct 20, 2014

This happened to me just yesterday for the first time.

I did a Duden spellcheck, and the file had previously been converted from pdf to Word. My file just disappeared after being saved.

Maybe your file was corrupted, too?

Astrid_H
Astrid_H  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Save to another location Oct 21, 2014

Hello Mariam,

it could be anything mentioned.

The information that you have the computer offline and it is then still there makes me wonder whether your usual work folder is possibly a cloud folder of some sort? Which version of Word are you using? 2010? 365?

You could try to do the following:

- try to save to another location (a pen drive as suggested should do the trick, but that's only a temporary solution.) Or save to another disk or parti
... See more
Hello Mariam,

it could be anything mentioned.

The information that you have the computer offline and it is then still there makes me wonder whether your usual work folder is possibly a cloud folder of some sort? Which version of Word are you using? 2010? 365?

You could try to do the following:

- try to save to another location (a pen drive as suggested should do the trick, but that's only a temporary solution.) Or save to another disk or partition if you have one.

- as mentioned already, if you are working on a copy of a file you have received from elsewhere, it may be seen as a virus by your AV programme, for example if macros etc are activated; or it is corrupted and the OS cannot deal with it. To test this, copy the content of your file into a NEW Word file and save this.

- run an anti-virus programme (for free online ones, housecall is supposed to be quite good) - this is always a good idea.

Good luck!

(I hope this post actually posts this time, I have had several over the past few weeks not going through even they showed.)

[Edited at 2014-10-21 08:43 GMT]
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:45
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Check in ONEDRIVE Oct 21, 2014

Go to File Explorer, Onedrive, Documents.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Use "Save As" Oct 21, 2014

Sometimes, when I don't know where a program will save the file when I click on Save (or press Ctrl+S), I click "Save As..." instead. This starts in the location where a "Save" would be done, so you can see where that is; then you can decide to save there, somewhere else or Cancel if you want to do something else.

HTH,
Oliver

Victor Westmann (X)
Victor Westmann (X)
Brazil
Local time: 21:45
English to Portuguese
+ ...
One thing that might help Oct 22, 2014

Hi there,

it is hard to guess what is happening on your PC but one thing that -- hopefully -- will help you is trying to save the same file at least in 2 different places (like, for instance, My Documents and Desktop areas) and then making a Zip file (right click and going to your favorite Zip Application (a great compression free software that runs nicely on Windows platform is 7-Zip (www.7-zip.org))).
... See more
Hi there,

it is hard to guess what is happening on your PC but one thing that -- hopefully -- will help you is trying to save the same file at least in 2 different places (like, for instance, My Documents and Desktop areas) and then making a Zip file (right click and going to your favorite Zip Application (a great compression free software that runs nicely on Windows platform is 7-Zip (www.7-zip.org))). So if the original file disappears you'll still have the compressed copy.

Try this out and let us know if it worked. Good luck!

[Edited at 2014-10-22 01:07 GMT]
Collapse

Mariam Osmann
Mariam Osmann
Egypt
Member (2007)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No Virus, no malware Oct 22, 2014

I ran several software, including housecall and Malwarebytes. Nothing detected, I am currently updating my main antivirus.

And at the moment of work, I ended up by using this "Zip" storage tip, to save my work from deletion for the 3rd time.

I still don't know what happened at that moment. I hope it does not get repeated. I hope also it was not a remote connection by a third party on my computer as I have it already disabled.

Thank you all for your tips and
... See more
I ran several software, including housecall and Malwarebytes. Nothing detected, I am currently updating my main antivirus.

And at the moment of work, I ended up by using this "Zip" storage tip, to save my work from deletion for the 3rd time.

I still don't know what happened at that moment. I hope it does not get repeated. I hope also it was not a remote connection by a third party on my computer as I have it already disabled.

Thank you all for your tips and suggestions!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

URGENT: WORD files get deleted as soon as I save my work

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »