Thread poster: Wordup (X)
Wordup (X)
Wordup (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 31, 2015

Microsoft Word has suddenly converted my TOC, hyperlinks and embedded objects into gibberish - eg {TOC \o "1-2!\h \z \u }
and {hyperlink "HTTP.......}
Does anyone know what on earth is going on and, more importantly, how I can fix it please?!
Many thanks

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:25
Italian to English
In memoriam
Alt+F9 Mar 31, 2015

Alt+F9 toggles all the field codes in your current document. If you want to hide or display a single field code, select it and hit Shift+F9.

HTH

Wordup (X)
Wordup (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Giles - you're a star! Mar 31, 2015

Thank you very much Giles.
How can something so simple and seemingly innocuous be so disruptive!
I'd buy you a beer by way of a thank you if you were a bit nearer!
Cheers

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Eureka! Apr 2, 2015

Giles Watson wrote:

Alt+F9 toggles all the field codes in your current document. If you want to hide or display a single field code, select it and hit Shift+F9.

HTH

Amazing. I feel such a fool now. My main PC OS is a mix of 32 and 64 bits (so that I can continue to use my old CD dictionaries) so until now the links on my documents always came up like that. I'd always assumed it was impossible to view the text of the links correctly because of my setup, so I usually transfer files with links in them to my backup PC, which runs Office 2010, to view the lnks and finish off the files. This Alt+F9 trick will come in really handy from now on, so thanks for posting it!

PS: This revelation makes me wonder if there are other similar combos I could be using but don't know about...

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
And here's another one you might like, Neil Apr 2, 2015

neilmac wrote:

PS: This revelation makes me wonder if there are other similar combos I could be using but don't know about...

Actually, I keep a Postit in my desk drawer with some of the Word shortcuts that I can never remember when I need them, including Alt+F9, Shift+F9 and also Shift+F5, which is handy because it takes you straight to your last edit in a Word document.

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Could be hepful... Apr 2, 2015

... having a look here: http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/290938

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Microsoft Word has suddenly added { and } to TOC and hyperlinks

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »