Is it possible to change the name of the person who has revised a text in Word?
Thread poster: Denise Phelps
Denise Phelps
Denise Phelps  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 1, 2015

I know this sounds dodgy, but my reasons are legit.

One of my clients has asked me to set my user name in Office to Editor (ED) when revising texts so that when the end client receives the text there is only one set of revisions, rather than revisions flagged as having been done by me, and others flagged as having been done by the final reviewer or even reviewers.

In principle, I don't mind doing this, but don't like leaving "Editor" as my user name setting on all my o
... See more
I know this sounds dodgy, but my reasons are legit.

One of my clients has asked me to set my user name in Office to Editor (ED) when revising texts so that when the end client receives the text there is only one set of revisions, rather than revisions flagged as having been done by me, and others flagged as having been done by the final reviewer or even reviewers.

In principle, I don't mind doing this, but don't like leaving "Editor" as my user name setting on all my other work for other clients. Inevitably however, like today, I forget to change the setting before I start work. Is there any way to change the setting now so that all revisions are flagged as being done by "Editor" rather than by me? Simply changing now in "options" doesn't work.
Collapse

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Use the Compare function Jul 1, 2015

It can be simply done using the "Compare" function (Review tab).
1.) Save the document with track changes on (Tracked.docx).
2.) Accept all changes and save it again (Corrected.docx).
3.) Reopen Tracked.docx, reject all changes, and save it (Uncorrected.docx).
4.) In Word options, change the user name from "Editor" to your name.
5.) Compare Uncorrected.docx and Corrected.docx using the "Compare" function of the Review tab.

Presto!
Attila

Denise Phelps
Denise Phelps  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Done! Jul 1, 2015

A thousand thanks Attila:

My client will be pleased and I won't look like an idiot for forgetting to change my settings yet again before starting work

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:36
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Neat trick! Jul 3, 2015

Could have done with that one a couple of years ago. At least I'll have it if there's a next time. Thanks from me too Attila.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to change the name of the person who has revised a text in Word?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »