Thread poster: Paula Loubier
Paula Loubier
Paula Loubier  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:18
French to English
+ ...
Feb 11, 2016

Hello. I received a document that was set up by the publisher in docx.pdf format that, when you click on it, is supposed to open directly into Word without having to convert it. I was asked to just add French accents on French quotations, then save it in .pdf format and send it back.

The first time I opened the document it opened in Word, but I noticed that after saving it and going back to work on it again, the formatting was really messed up.

I tried to go back to t
... See more
Hello. I received a document that was set up by the publisher in docx.pdf format that, when you click on it, is supposed to open directly into Word without having to convert it. I was asked to just add French accents on French quotations, then save it in .pdf format and send it back.

The first time I opened the document it opened in Word, but I noticed that after saving it and going back to work on it again, the formatting was really messed up.

I tried to go back to the original e-mail and reopen the document, but it opened in Adobe and I could not edit it without converting it to Word, which again messed the format up.

The client (a private party) thinks I did something horrible to the formatting, which I did not touch. All I can imagine is that a setting got changed, or was inadvertently changed by me, and this is causing the problem.

Is anyone familiar with this type of set up? Do I need to change a setting?

What should have been a one hour project has turned into a BIG headache!

I would be most grateful for any suggestions!
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:18
English to Russian
Ask your client to give you an editable format. Feb 12, 2016

Hi Paula,

To avoid 'horrible actions' on your side, I would leave it for client. Ask your client to give you an editable document – they need it edited, don't they.
After you return the document as edited, they can make a pdf version as needed.

That is what I would do.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 07:18
English to German
There is no such thing like a docx.pdf format Feb 12, 2016

Paula Loubier wrote:

a document that was set up by the publisher in docx.pdf format that, when you click on it, is supposed to open directly into Word without having to convert it. I was asked to just add French accents on French quotations, then save it in .pdf format and send it back.

What is a docx.pdf format? It's a .pdf document, isn't it? There is no way to convert from .pdf to .docx just because .pdf doesnt't contain all necessary formatting info – period.

Recent Word versions are able to read & write .pdf, but this is a crutch solution that will work only with certain simple formattings.

Is anyone familiar with this type of set up? Do I need to change a setting?

The workflow is wrong, not your settings.

The only solution: For minor changes edit the .pdf in Adobe Acrobat directly. For greater changes edit the original using the original text processor software, then convert it to a .pdf using Acrobat. Your client seems to be a computer illiterate, otherwise he hadn't given the instructions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opening/working with a docx.pdf document

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »