Thread poster: scooke
Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:07
Dutch to English
+ ...
I've never heard it before Aug 31, 2014

I've never heard powwow used to mean a meeting outside ProZ and to my British English ear it sounds a bit odd .. it brings to mind children playing at 'Cowboys and Indians'. It makes me cringe slightly and I'd avoid using it for that reason. Whether it is offensive or not, I have no idea.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Samuel: Aug 31, 2014

Samuel Murray wrote:

philgoddard wrote:
You can't use "meet" because that derives from the Old English "moot", meaning "powwow", and is therefore offensive to those of us with Anglo-Saxon ancestors.

The same applies to "get-together", I'm afraid. Comes from the Old English "togædere", which means "powwow".

I think he was kidding. Or perhaps just trying to put things into perspective.

Michael

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Yes Aug 31, 2014

Rachel Waddington wrote:

I've never heard powwow used to mean a meeting outside ProZ and to my British English ear it sounds a bit odd .. it brings to mind children playing at 'Cowboys and Indians'. It makes me cringe slightly and I'd avoid using it for that reason.

I agree about the slightly cringe or wince factor. I would just like to mention, OTTly, that I find the idea of a "playground" for adults considerably more cringe-inducing...

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 15:07
Russian to English
+ ...
It's all in the eye of the beholder Sep 1, 2014

Tom in London wrote:

This thread has aroused the hope in me that the very off-putting term "pow-wow" (not because it offends some social category but because it's just silly) will be replaced by something more 21st- century.

In all fairness, the only conclusion I can logically make from the above is that you are simply trying to impose your own personal preferences on the rest of us. Personally, I find the way quite a few things are said in the UK a bit... um... shall we say funny (Knickers, anyone? Fish and chips? Perambulators? Lifts?). Yet it would never occur to me to come out on a public forum and claim they are silly or that they should be called anything different - in the 21st century or beyond. That would amount to ...um... an imposition, perhaps?

I'd loath - not LOTH (remember, I am one of them pesky Americans who like doing things their own silly way?) - to impose my personal likes and dislikes on anyone. Apparently, you, sir, adhere to a different school of thought here.

scooke
scooke
Canada
Kazakh to English
TOPIC STARTER
Good discussions Sep 1, 2014

It is good to see this forum topic active.

While I certainly intended my outrage to be expressed, there is no way an imposition is possible! Whether or not the term is changed is purely up to the proz.com owners... I am not even sure a site-wide vote would matter. Perhaps a sneaky webmaster could do it.

But it is offensive when co-opted and used for a non-powwow context. And, in picking my battles, let me briefly explain that the dictionaries quoted weren't comp
... See more
It is good to see this forum topic active.

While I certainly intended my outrage to be expressed, there is no way an imposition is possible! Whether or not the term is changed is purely up to the proz.com owners... I am not even sure a site-wide vote would matter. Perhaps a sneaky webmaster could do it.

But it is offensive when co-opted and used for a non-powwow context. And, in picking my battles, let me briefly explain that the dictionaries quoted weren't compiled by Ojibwa, or Cree, or Six Nations, etc., so of course definitions are included which are not actually accurate. They are for the English speaker, by the English speaker. I could make my own dictionary for Ojibwa and define 'togædere' as 'hilarious', but that wouldn't be accurate.

As for the questions about usage amongst different First Nations, there is much history behind a good answer; suffice to say, in our own circles those who still retain the languages use these languages, and the terms for events, life stages, etc. In English, many have opted to just use powwow, since English and its terms are so prevalent.

Behind the use of an English word like powwow are ancient, yet very present, challenges for recognition as separate and distinct nations/countries. Here I am speaking regionally, for as I mentioned, we are not all 'tribes' of a larger ethnicity called "Indian". My comparison to a European context is intended to help the reader understand, for it is a profound jump in awareness to realize that 'what is now called North America' still has its original name, by the original peoples, in their original languages, for their original 'country'. In the same way Germans, Spaniards, Italians, Swiss, and so on are never called "European tribes", the different first nations in 'what is now called North America' are not smaller tribes of a larger ethnicity. What European ever self-identifies as, "I am from the Dutch tribe", or, "We are from the Norwegian tribe of Europeans".

So the usage of a term like powwow is but one element in this continent-wide struggle for education, understanding, and respect. On a site like this it might be hoped that this change is possible.

[Edited at 2014-09-01 02:13 GMT]
Collapse

scooke
scooke
Canada
Kazakh to English
TOPIC STARTER
My own vote: Get-together Sep 1, 2014

The hyphen messes up the visual appearance though.

"Meetup" might legally not be possible due to meetup.com already using it.

Another term might be, "Social". Unless the event is one for education purposes. Then call it 'seminar'. Or, 'consultation'.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:37
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
In a world of 6 (or is it 7 now) billion... Sep 1, 2014

Texte Style wrote:

However, if someone is offended, something must be done to repair this.

... people almost anything you say or do will affront someone or the other in some part or the other of the globe. So where do we stop?

One solution would be to keep absolutely mum, but that goes contrary to human nature - we are a talkative ape (I hope this term doesn't offend anyone; is offending apes, also off the bounds, by the way?). Again, the silence strategy would ring the death knell of the translation industry, as no talking would mean there would be no need for translating.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Oh dear Sep 1, 2014

Has anyone told http://www.powwownow.co.uk/ ?

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
People sometimes use words that don't sound good to the ear to gain effect Sep 1, 2014

For example, a very successful Chinese consulting firm is called "The Big Fool" or literally " extremely stupid, Inc".

I think Powwow is still better than all of the alternatives proposed. Conference is way too big and it may lead people to think they have to pay to attend. To me "get-together" is more like a party.

Rachel Waddington
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Knickers Sep 1, 2014

The Misha wrote:

Personally, I find the way quite a few things are said in the UK a bit... um... shall we say funny (Knickers, anyone? Fish and chips? Perambulators? Lifts?).

We don't really say knickers in the UK (surely panties is worse though?) and I've never heard anybody use the word perambulator. A debate is not an imposition though.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Flippancy Sep 1, 2014

What began as a serious discussion seems to have descended into flippancy, or worse; perhaps that's supposed to be a way of taking the seriousness out of the original post.

I find that *loathesome*. I *loathe* it. I'd be *loth* to attend any event that called itself a "pow-pow". I want the name to change to whatever people think is better. I continue to think that this is a serious matter.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:07
French to English
Mary Poppins Sep 1, 2014

Rachel Waddington wrote:

The Misha wrote:

Personally, I find the way quite a few things are said in the UK a bit... um... shall we say funny (Knickers, anyone? Fish and chips? Perambulators? Lifts?).

We don't really say knickers in the UK (surely panties is worse though?) and I've never heard anybody use the word perambulator. A debate is not an imposition though.

oh dear, don't Brits get their knickers in a twist any more? that's a great pity!

I agree for perambulator, never heard it or read it except in Mary Poppins.

Rachel Waddington
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Meet-up Sep 1, 2014

I would vote for 'meet-up' or 'get-together'. The name 'powwow' would actually put me off attending or organising such an event, as I personally am uncomfortable with its connotations. Also, I have no idea what a 'powwow' is - a big formal gathering or just a few people getting together for drinks? 'Meet-up' is at least self-explanatory.

I don't see that as trying to impose my preferences on other people - more as taking part in a debate. If enough people are uncomfortable with the
... See more
I would vote for 'meet-up' or 'get-together'. The name 'powwow' would actually put me off attending or organising such an event, as I personally am uncomfortable with its connotations. Also, I have no idea what a 'powwow' is - a big formal gathering or just a few people getting together for drinks? 'Meet-up' is at least self-explanatory.

I don't see that as trying to impose my preferences on other people - more as taking part in a debate. If enough people are uncomfortable with the use of a word, that is reason enough to choose something more neutral, surely?
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:07
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Scooke Sep 1, 2014

scooke wrote:
But it is offensive when co-opted and used for a non-powwow context.

It is only offensive to some. Many words that originally had a sacred or religious meaning have had their meanings broadened to include non-sacred applications. That is how language works.

I'm sure people who feel strongly about Mecca or about the Bible may be equally offended if a book is called "the translator's bible" simply because it is a comprehensive book, or an annual trade fair "a real translators' mecca" because it is a highly recommended event. But that's the way language works.

Language evolves, and some words get wider meanings. It is not disrespectul, and it offends only those who feel that they "own" the original word or for whom the original meaning has special significance.

[Edited at 2014-09-01 09:53 GMT]

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
In seriousness... Sep 1, 2014

If you look online at discussions concerning the word 'powwow' the same pattern emerges: white people telling other white people what Native Americans half way across the world find offensive. I'm yet to find anyone with Native American heritage objecting to the word.

From a social justice perspective I think this is quite problematic. (White Saviour Complex - 'saving' Native Americans from offence we presume for them on their behalf).

Moreover, there are articles poin
... See more
If you look online at discussions concerning the word 'powwow' the same pattern emerges: white people telling other white people what Native Americans half way across the world find offensive. I'm yet to find anyone with Native American heritage objecting to the word.

From a social justice perspective I think this is quite problematic. (White Saviour Complex - 'saving' Native Americans from offence we presume for them on their behalf).

Moreover, there are articles pointing out that the precise meaning of "powwow" has evolved even for the Native Americans themselves.

Also, if this word is so offensive I'm amazed Dartmouth still use it for their college get-togethers:
"The Pow-Wow is an opportunity for students, faculty, staff, and administration from all the Dartmouth Communities, and the Upper Valley to see and participate in Native American culture from many different tribes and traditions"
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~nap/powwow/

And a school newspaper which changed its name back to "the Pow Wow" after altering it:
“See, the Pow Wow was started in 1927,” said Krantz. “I think it was around 1970 when the name became the “TJC News.” Then, when I came to head up the paper in 2007, there was a student-led movement to move it back to the Pow Wow."
http://mytjcnews.com/news/will-the-apache-name-be-the-next-to-come-under-attack/

I think if we should get worked up about anything it should be the use of war bonnets as fashion accessories, or dream catchers in every hippy/new age shop up and down the country which could both legitimately be called cultural appropriation, not a relatively infrequent word which came to us via language contact, like so many others.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Discontinue the use of 'powwow'.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »