jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:00
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Some side comments about a PHD Jul 31, 2009

A PHD means everything in China. It will get you to some leadership position in the government which everybody admires. You can get a lot of opportunities if you want, no matter what major you are in when you study for your PHD.

You will be more competitive if they are looking for soemone to fill a position of a Mayor or a commissioner in the government, or a chief of the best organizations/companies. You can get an excellent boyfriend or girlfriend if you are not married. It can g
... See more
A PHD means everything in China. It will get you to some leadership position in the government which everybody admires. You can get a lot of opportunities if you want, no matter what major you are in when you study for your PHD.

You will be more competitive if they are looking for soemone to fill a position of a Mayor or a commissioner in the government, or a chief of the best organizations/companies. You can get an excellent boyfriend or girlfriend if you are not married. It can give you almost whatever you want.

You will be extremely respected and popular everywhere you go with such a degree.

So everybody in China wants to get a PHD. It is not important if that degree can make you better qualified for a research or a teaching job
Collapse

Julia Ober
Julia Ober  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:00
German to Russian
+ ...
Wow :) Aug 1, 2009

jyuan_us wrote:
You can get an excellent boyfriend or girlfriend if you are not married.

Wow

Habib Shariati
Habib Shariati  Identity Verified
Iran
Local time: 01:30
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
I will encourage you to do so Jan 13, 2010

Dear Tetyana

I've got a few days left to my thesis defense and am considering my PhD. I strongly recommend you to follow that, the least would be if you feel you can have a slightest contribution to the field. there are also lots of other programs of the kind in England where you would be able to meet some of the top scholars of the field, like Baker in Manchester, Newmark in Surrey and Shuttleworth and some other. Wish you all the best.

[اس پر ایڈٹ کیا گیا2010
... See more
Dear Tetyana

I've got a few days left to my thesis defense and am considering my PhD. I strongly recommend you to follow that, the least would be if you feel you can have a slightest contribution to the field. there are also lots of other programs of the kind in England where you would be able to meet some of the top scholars of the field, like Baker in Manchester, Newmark in Surrey and Shuttleworth and some other. Wish you all the best.

[اس پر ایڈٹ کیا گیا2010-01-13 09:48 GMT]
Collapse

Edgar Moros, PhD
Edgar Moros, PhD
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
PhD in TS Jun 20, 2011

Hi, I obtained my PhD in Translation Studies from Binghamton in 2009. I have a BS and MA in Translation from Kent State (1993/1994). The PhD program is for those who want to teach/research in the field of translation. Please get in touch with me if you want information on either Kent or Binghamton, as I have attended both institutions

Ellie Alizadeh

gradprogram (X)
gradprogram (X)
United States
Wake Forest University offers a variety of MA degrees in interpreting and translation studies Dec 24, 2014

As the title, Wake Forest Unviersity offers a variety of MAs in interpreting and translation, including interpreting and translation studies, interpreting and translation teaching, and MA in intercultural services in healthcare, in Chinese-English and English Spanish language combinations. But I do not know whether they have any phd programs. You may want to check it out yourself.

[Edited at 2014-12-24 17:44 GMT]

Youssef Ahmed
Youssef Ahmed  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 01:00
Member (2007)
English to Arabic
Re-Opening the topic in 2016 Dec 7, 2016

Hi Tetyana,

Would you please let me re-open this interesting topic?

I got an MA in Linguistics, but I have been working as a translator for 16 years; and I need to proceed with PhD in Translation Studies.

So, have you found a good one? Or got the degree already

Dear Colleagues,

Any recent ideas, please?

Thanks in advance!

Youssef

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PhD in Translation Studies in USA

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »