DipTrans Online Preparation Course
Thread poster: K S (X)
K S (X)
K S (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:15
Apr 4, 2012

Dear Fellow Translators,

For those who are thinking of sitting the IoL DipTrans exam next year, there is now a new DipTrans Preparation Course available online in various languages. For more details, please go to http://www.diptransonline.co.uk/ and contact Helena El Masri or myself. I hope to hear from you soon!

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 20:15
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Russian Glossary Apr 4, 2012

Hi Kasia,

Do you know if they are going to publish sample pages of the glossary into Russian? I have checked the Polish one, and I like it but I am not sure about the quality of the Russian glossary.

Thank you.

Vanda

K S (X)
K S (X)
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Will pass your queries onto the course provider Apr 4, 2012

Hi Vanda,

I am not sure about their reference material, but I will ask the course organiser and get back to you as soon as I have heard from you.

How is Australia? I stayed there with my husband for 3 months last year but did not get much translation work.

Kasia

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 20:15
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
thank you:) Apr 4, 2012

I am not sure about their reference material, but I will ask the course organiser and get back to you as soon as I have heard from you.

How is Australia? I stayed there with my husband for 3 months last year but did not get much translation work.

Kasia

Thank you, Kasia. I can see that Russian is practically the only language without sample pages. I am thinking about buying it because I intend to sit interpreting test here, in Australia (NAATI) but it would be nice to see the quality first:).

As for the job market here, in Australia. Well, it is hard to get some assignments if you don't have NAATI's accreditation and you are not a permanent resident or a citizen because interpreting sector remains heavily government-controlled. My Polish colleague says that it is enough interpreting assignments with Polish.

K S (X)
K S (X)
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Interpreting test Apr 5, 2012

Hi Vanda,

It think it's best if you contact the course provider directly. She will be able to give you more detailed information. Her name is Helena El Masri and you can find her contact details here: http://www.diptransonline.co.uk/contact.html I'm sure there's plenty of reference material available. Russian seems to be a quite popular language in the UK so perhaps you can get i
... See more
Hi Vanda,

It think it's best if you contact the course provider directly. She will be able to give you more detailed information. Her name is Helena El Masri and you can find her contact details here: http://www.diptransonline.co.uk/contact.html I'm sure there's plenty of reference material available. Russian seems to be a quite popular language in the UK so perhaps you can get in touch with some UK-based Russian interpreters who have passed the DPSI or hold other interpreting qualifications. You can search for their details on the NRPSI website.

You probably right about Australia. I didn't feel the need to get NAATI's accredidation as it's practically unknown of in Europe and I was staying in Australia for only 3 months. I was, nevertheless, surprised I didn't get much translation work there. I've been told most of Australia-based translators work for clients based in Europe. Well, I don't know about that, but 3 months was definitely too short to establish myself. I still think Australia is a fantastic place!!!

If you feel like sharing your translation experience or sometimes just have a little giggle, you're more than welcome to join my Facebook business page at www.facebook.com/Slobo.Language.Solutions

All the best

Kasia
Collapse

Daimag (X)
Daimag (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:15
English to French
+ ...
German-French Apr 5, 2012

Kasia E Slobodzian-Taylor wrote:

Dear Fellow Translators,

For those who are thinking of sitting the IoL DipTrans exam next year, there is now a new DipTrans Preparation Course available online in various languages. For more details, please go to http://www.diptransonline.co.uk/ and contact Helena El Masri or myself. I hope to hear from you soon!

Do you also offer a course for the combination German-French?

K S (X)
K S (X)
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Other language combinations Apr 5, 2012

Daisy,

I'm only the messenger and don't know much about other courses they offer. Please go to their website and ask the course organiser directly. She'll be able to give you all the details.

Thanks for getting in touch.

Kasia

Stella Conso (X)
Stella Conso (X)
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
tips to study by yoursel for the diptrans exam? May 5, 2015

Hello, courses available for Diptrans exam are too expensive, the exam itself is already very expensive.

So does anyone has any tips on how to study by yourself? books, exercises...

Thanks a lot
Stella

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
It's a professional qualification May 7, 2015

Stella Consonni wrote:

Hello, courses available for Diptrans exam are too expensive, the exam itself is already very expensive.

So does anyone has any tips on how to study by yourself? books, exercises...

Thanks a lot
Stella

And prices are pretty much in line with that.
You can download past papers from the CIOL website, and use them as practice.
But if you want guidance as to the criteria employed in the examination, it is probably cheaper to do at least 1 module from the courses on offer (you can get a single module for about GBP 350) than to hire an experienced colleague with knowledge about the exam to proofread some of your translations to point you in the right direction.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DipTrans Online Preparation Course

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »