Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
MA in Translation by distance course - what is your experience?
Thread poster: Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Taher
Taher
Local time: 14:56
English to Arabic
MA Translation Studies Open Distance Learning - Birmingham University programme Jun 13, 2005

Does the programme in Birmingham University teach translation theory only and whatever your second language is not of importance? As an English-Arabic-English translator, for instance, will I not need an Arabic speaking superviosr?

Taher
Taher
Local time: 14:56
English to Arabic
MA in Translation by distance course - not related to any language Jun 13, 2005

"The programme in Birmingham is very expensive (approx. 10000 €) and is not related to any particular language, teaching mainly translation theory from what it seems."

Are sure that the programme is not related to any language? Is it possible to study translation through one language, in this case English? As I am an English-Arabic-English translator will I not need an Arabic speaking supervisor, for instance?

Regards

[Edited at 2005-06-13 10:08]

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
For Taher Jun 13, 2005

Dear Taher,

Here's a link you can explore: http://www.cels.bham.ac.uk/prospectus/ODL/odlinfo.htm

Oman is not listed among the countries with a Local Administration Centre, although you may inquire at:

CELS, Westmere
University of Birmingham
Edgbaston,
Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK
Tel: (+44) (0) 121 414 3239
Fax: (+4
... See more
Dear Taher,

Here's a link you can explore: http://www.cels.bham.ac.uk/prospectus/ODL/odlinfo.htm

Oman is not listed among the countries with a Local Administration Centre, although you may inquire at:

CELS, Westmere
University of Birmingham
Edgbaston,
Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK
Tel: (+44) (0) 121 414 3239
Fax: (+44) (0) 121 414 3298
Email: [email protected]

Further information available at: http://www.cels.bham.ac.uk/prospectus/ODL/odladdresses_for_information.htm
Collapse

briant
briant  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:56
French to English
NYU vs toronto certification programs Oct 5, 2005

I posted a similar question elsewhere. I was interested in the NYU or University of Toronto certificate programs. Do any of you know anything about them? I also saw the Words Language Services program. I saw some of the British uniersity programs, but they were mostly, as mentioned already, either very expensive or theoretical (not specific to a language even). Do you have any information on the credibility/usefulness of the three I mentioned?

Nemola
Nemola
Local time: 11:56
MA Translation at UWE Apr 10, 2009

Hi All

I realise this thread it quite old, but I remember that when I researched courses there was still very little information available, so I'll post this anyway for people who are looking now.

I am currently enrolled on the MA Translation at UWE (University of the West of England) in Bristol, UK, as a part-time, distance study participant.

I'm very happy to have my brains picked about the experience if anyone would like specific information!
... See more
Hi All

I realise this thread it quite old, but I remember that when I researched courses there was still very little information available, so I'll post this anyway for people who are looking now.

I am currently enrolled on the MA Translation at UWE (University of the West of England) in Bristol, UK, as a part-time, distance study participant.

I'm very happy to have my brains picked about the experience if anyone would like specific information!

What I can say at this point (I've done two of the four modules + dissertation required) is that if you can afford it this is probably not a bad way of getting a masters - so far, I've found it really flexible, the work-load very doable (they say you need 9.5 hours per week per module, but I don't spend as much and still do okay) and the course content stimulating and helpful.

Having said that, it is an entirely distance based course, so you never see or speak to anyone, including your tutors - the course is entirely based on message boards. Also, the two courses I have done so far concentrated on practical translation, so they are not very in-depth in linguistic terms, but this may well be different for more theoretical modules.

I can't vouch for the prestige or reputation of this particular course. UWE is a "new" university, so it can't rely on its name (as e.g. Birmingham can) but I know it's considered a good place for some courses.

I hope this is helpful, again, any questions I'll be happy to answer.

Lena
Collapse

Andreea Ciurea
Andreea Ciurea  Identity Verified
Romania
English to Romanian
+ ...
UWE in Bristol Jul 1, 2009

Hello Lena

I just got accepted to this MA program, part-time too, and since you already graduated I hope you can provide some feedback. It's nice to know what to expect.
Thanks a lot!

Elisa Noetinger
Elisa Noetinger  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
DipTrans and MA? Jul 2, 2009

I have been considering doing and MA in translation, although I already have the CIoL DipTrans. I wonder if is it really woth it...considering I will be working full time and studying part-time, so it´d be a huge effort and hard work...

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
University of Portsmouth Jul 12, 2009

Has anybody attended the University of Portsmouth PG distance learning course in Translation? This looks quite interesting, especially since it offers 3 different exit levels (PG certificate, diploma and MA) and thus seems to be quite flexible.

I was considering the IoL exam, but I would very much prefer to get an MA in the end - however, should this prove to be too time-consuming, I might want to settle for a diploma.

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:56
Member (2008)
English to French
Reviving the thread: Distance Learning - MA in translation Oct 28, 2009

Hello,

I've recently started scouting for online (distance learning) MA in Translation programs and it seems as though the 2 quoted British Universities below are the only ones available.

Could some more people please talk about their experiences I've contacted UWE and they've nicely replied with complete answers to all my specific questions so they get a + just for that.

For myself, what I
... See more
Hello,

I've recently started scouting for online (distance learning) MA in Translation programs and it seems as though the 2 quoted British Universities below are the only ones available.

Could some more people please talk about their experiences I've contacted UWE and they've nicely replied with complete answers to all my specific questions so they get a + just for that.

For myself, what I am looking for is a path to a PhD and a university job in 10-15 years when freelancing no longer appeals to me, rather than an immediate career boost so theoretical rather than practical classes are not a deterrent, though for the record, I prefer the latter

Thank you!!!!
Collapse

Christopher Fitzsimons
Christopher Fitzsimons
Switzerland
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Legal Translation Oct 28, 2009

City University, London offer an MA specifically in Legal Translation by distance learning which I am considering doing myself at some point in the future.
http://www.city.ac.uk/translation/courses/legal_translation/

They give the following information on the language combinations offered:

"We will consider applications for the following langua
... See more
City University, London offer an MA specifically in Legal Translation by distance learning which I am considering doing myself at some point in the future.
http://www.city.ac.uk/translation/courses/legal_translation/

They give the following information on the language combinations offered:

"We will consider applications for the following language combinations: English into one of French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese or Spanish; or one of French, German, Italian or Spanish into English. You can only take one language combination at a time, and you are expected to translate into your mother tongue. All language combinations are offered subject to demand. "

If you were interested in Legal translation it could be an option. Best of luck.
Collapse

Monika Elisabeth Sieger
Monika Elisabeth Sieger  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
MA in Legal Translation at the City University Oct 28, 2009

I am curently studying a course at the City University in Legal Translation.
It is quite good but you should have some previous legal knowledge. I am a legal professional here in England with degrees in law from Germany and England and I have got the impression that those without any legal knowledge are struggling from time to time.
The next couse will start in September 2010. The fees are quite high with over £4000.00 for the two years course. You have to attend courses at the Univ
... See more
I am curently studying a course at the City University in Legal Translation.
It is quite good but you should have some previous legal knowledge. I am a legal professional here in England with degrees in law from Germany and England and I have got the impression that those without any legal knowledge are struggling from time to time.
The next couse will start in September 2010. The fees are quite high with over £4000.00 for the two years course. You have to attend courses at the University 4x per year for 4 days and you have to write assessments.
Perhaps this might be an option for you?
Collapse

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:56
Member (2008)
English to French
Thank you :-) Nov 3, 2009

Thank you both for answering!

Unfortunately legal translation is my "bête noire" and I live in China so City University is probably not the best way for me

I have until June 2010 before I decide on my course of action for September 2010 so if anyone else has any info/input/experiences to share please do as I will be getting updates from this thread...
See more
Thank you both for answering!

Unfortunately legal translation is my "bête noire" and I live in China so City University is probably not the best way for me

I have until June 2010 before I decide on my course of action for September 2010 so if anyone else has any info/input/experiences to share please do as I will be getting updates from this thread
Collapse

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Using technology Nov 3, 2009

mckinnc wrote:
In doing the Dip Trans course by distance learning I personally found that where I lost out was in the ability to have proper interaction with fellow students. Although we communicated by online forum and email it did not replace the kind of communication that goes on in a classroom. However, I chose this route because I could not afford to interrupt my working life (yet again) to work full-time on another qualification.

It seems to me that the technology now available should allow virtual classrooms using Skype conference calling with video. This would still not be absolutely the same as a real classroom, but it could come closer than online forums and e-mail. I was working (not as a translator) when I did the Dip Trans and went to a weekly evening class (in London) for Dip Trans prep and the interaction with other students was at least as valuable as the interaction with the tutor. However, this might have been reproduced online with a smaller class. The challenge with an online system would be the visual cueing for enabling changes of speaker and allowing this not to be controlled by the tutor. Online coffee breaks could be interesting.

Nemola
Nemola
MA Translation at UWE closing down Jul 27, 2011

Just an update, the MA Translation at UWE is, sadly, being closed down, with no new students being accepted onto the programme.

Ellie B
Ellie B  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
UWE MA Translation available again Mar 7, 2012

The MA Translation course seems to be available again at UWE:

http://courses.uwe.ac.uk/Q14062/2012#coursecontent

They are offering a new module: Translator Entrepreneur, which looks very useful for those who are just setting up a freelance translation business.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MA in Translation by distance course - what is your experience?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »