Translation Certification
Thread poster: Daniel Hill
Daniel Hill
Daniel Hill
Canada
Local time: 12:24
Jan 6, 2014

Hello everyone. For the past few months I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to get into the French to English translation industry. While I do have a few fields in my background one could consider specialties, I have very little experience in the field of translation itself (and even that is mostly editing). What's more, I have no form of degree or certification in this field.

So my questions are about certification programs, particularly online ones:

-Are they generall
... See more
Hello everyone. For the past few months I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to get into the French to English translation industry. While I do have a few fields in my background one could consider specialties, I have very little experience in the field of translation itself (and even that is mostly editing). What's more, I have no form of degree or certification in this field.

-Are they generally recognized in the field (as opposed to say, a university degree)?
-Do they typically help a newbie get jobs?
-And of course, are there any good ones for French to English in particular? (I have seen a few for English to French, but none for the reverse for far.)

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. This is a field I have been interested in for many years now, but I have never been able to make a go of it. Languages are my greatest passion, and that is something I hope to one day bring to the industry.
Collapse

Florian Wollenschein
Florian Wollenschein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:24
Member (2013)
English to German
+ ...
Hi Daniel Jan 6, 2014

Hi Daniel,

All your questions look familiar to me. But as far as I know, certificates do not really help much in landing jobs.

You need to gain experience in translating. However, how shall you gain experience if you do not get jobs!? For a beginner that is the crucial question.

Maybe you would like to send me a private message, so you could tell me a bit more about your experience, your goals, etc. I might have one or two tips for you.

Do not
... See more
Hi Daniel,

All your questions look familiar to me. But as far as I know, certificates do not really help much in landing jobs.

You need to gain experience in translating. However, how shall you gain experience if you do not get jobs!? For a beginner that is the crucial question.

Maybe you would like to send me a private message, so you could tell me a bit more about your experience, your goals, etc. I might have one or two tips for you.

Do not hesitate to get in touch with me.

Regards,
Florian
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
. Jan 6, 2014

What really matters, quite aside from the letters after your name, is whether you're any good at translating. That's the nice thing about this job. I don't have a translation qualification, but I've been doing it for 25 years.

I see you don't have a ProZ profile to speak of. In your situation, I would invest half an hour in creating one, playing down your lack of experience and focusing on the subject areas that interest you and that you know something about. And, most importantly,
... See more
What really matters, quite aside from the letters after your name, is whether you're any good at translating. That's the nice thing about this job. I don't have a translation qualification, but I've been doing it for 25 years.

I see you don't have a ProZ profile to speak of. In your situation, I would invest half an hour in creating one, playing down your lack of experience and focusing on the subject areas that interest you and that you know something about. And, most importantly, upload some sample translations so that people can judge the quality of your work.
Collapse

Daniel Hill
Daniel Hill
Canada
TOPIC STARTER
A little history Jan 6, 2014

Several years ago, I was a paid member of ProZ with a full profile (this account no longer exists. I created a new one today). After several months I had managed to get 2 small French to English translation projects from the same agent, but from another (free) site.

Time passed and nothing else came along, and I ended up finding a low-paying but full time job in a completely unrelated field. Once in a while, I help a Japanese to English translator with proofreading IT-related docume
... See more
Several years ago, I was a paid member of ProZ with a full profile (this account no longer exists. I created a new one today). After several months I had managed to get 2 small French to English translation projects from the same agent, but from another (free) site.

Time passed and nothing else came along, and I ended up finding a low-paying but full time job in a completely unrelated field. Once in a while, I help a Japanese to English translator with proofreading IT-related documents that have already been translated, which is enjoyable but is only 2-3 small jobs per year.

The above basically sums up my experience so far in translation. Many postings I have come across, especially on other sites, request that the translator have a degree in translation or at least certification. This is what brought me to asking the question, thinking perhaps this is what I've been missing.

[Edited at 2014-01-06 18:26 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What certifications are you considering? Jan 6, 2014

Daniel Hill wrote:
-Are they generally recognized in the field (as opposed to say, a university degree)?
-Do they typically help a newbie get jobs?
-And of course, are there any good ones for French to English in particular? (I have seen a few for English to French, but none for the reverse for far.)

I think it would be good if you mentioned what programmes are you considering. There is at least one programme I can think of which --in my opinion-- will be pretty useless but has excellent advertising.

If you mean programmes run by universities, that is a different matter. Personally if you are confident that you are sufficiently prepared for an exam-based certificate, I would go for IOL's Diploma in Translation, which is hard to pass but is widely recognised. The same for the exam of the ITI and the ATA certification.

Edited to add this: And of course, if you are in Canada, ask your local translation association for information about the certification programme in Canada, which also has good recognition as far as I know.

[Edited at 2014-01-06 21:32 GMT]

Tiffany Hardy
Tiffany Hardy  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
Marketing legwork gets more results than certifications Jan 7, 2014

I am currently enrolled in NYU's online Spanish to English translation certification and know they also offer French to English. I do not think that once my certification is finished, I will suddenly see a change in response to my current approach for getting clients. I do think the certification thus far has been invaluable in giving me confidence as a translator through professor feedback, networking with colleagues in the field, and exposing me to different areas of translation.

... See more
I am currently enrolled in NYU's online Spanish to English translation certification and know they also offer French to English. I do not think that once my certification is finished, I will suddenly see a change in response to my current approach for getting clients. I do think the certification thus far has been invaluable in giving me confidence as a translator through professor feedback, networking with colleagues in the field, and exposing me to different areas of translation.

While I think being certified is certainly a good idea, whether or not you will get work depends more on how you present yourself and your marketing approach than the certifications you carry. If your presentation materials (usually CV and email cover letter - although others like to refer to these items as a "brochure" and marketing pitch) are effective in transmitting the message that you are a qualified professional translator, and these materials reach a large enough number of potential clients, you will have some degree of success. I also think that if you consider finding clients to be your full time job until translation projects themselves fill in that time, and you invest time researching the best strategies for getting work with agencies and direct clients, you will also see results, at least in initial interest and work offers. Having a well developed Proz profile is important too but your marketing work certainly does not stop there.

Certification programs give you credibility as a translator, but are not essential for getting started. It is more important that your effective marketing message reaches a very large number of potential clients.
Collapse

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:24
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
It probably helps a bit Jan 7, 2014

I don't have a translation qualification and so far that hasn't been a problem.
I base most of my work either on my business degree and some dispersed post-graduate studies (I do the odd module, more out of interest than following a degree route) and my non-translation work experience.
I get enough work to not worry about it too much.

However, it is a question that I am asked by prospective clients often enough to consider relevant exams. I mainly deal with direct client
... See more
I don't have a translation qualification and so far that hasn't been a problem.
I base most of my work either on my business degree and some dispersed post-graduate studies (I do the odd module, more out of interest than following a degree route) and my non-translation work experience.
I get enough work to not worry about it too much.

However, it is a question that I am asked by prospective clients often enough to consider relevant exams. I mainly deal with direct clients and many don't have the resources to adequately assess their translators. I benefit a lot from referrals, however, this isn't always the case.
A qualification gives the client reassurance and I do believe it helps. It's difficult to quantify, how many assignments I didn't get for this reason, but there have been some.
Most agencies have their own QA system and a qualification is maybe less important.
You may want to ask yourself, which market you are targeting.

Depending on the field you intend to work in, some translation assignments require certification.

For instance, I recently translated a client's CV. A couple of weeks later the client returned, because she was now asked to submit a translation of her references. I informed her that she really needs a certified translation and referred her to a colleague. Of course this is a one-off assignment, but do you see how I had to let go of the bigger job for lack of certification?

If you do an actual course, instead of only sitting exams, you may be able to network a bit as well, which may help, especially in the beginning.

[Edited at 2014-01-07 06:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-01-07 08:06 GMT]
Collapse

Anne McKee
Anne McKee
French to English
translation course French to English Jan 7, 2014

I did a course of translating from French to English with WLS - World Language Services, based in Ireland to take the Institute of Linguists exam. I found the quality of the course excellent and I got good results. But I have lived in France for 23 years.

Doing a translating course helps you get feedback from professional people and to get a different prospective.

As well as that, contact agencies, bid for contracts, sigh up to sites and offer your services at a reason
... See more
I did a course of translating from French to English with WLS - World Language Services, based in Ireland to take the Institute of Linguists exam. I found the quality of the course excellent and I got good results. But I have lived in France for 23 years.

Doing a translating course helps you get feedback from professional people and to get a different prospective.

As well as that, contact agencies, bid for contracts, sigh up to sites and offer your services at a reasonable rate and I am sure that you will get some experience. All experience helps, happy clients are our best recommendation.

Anne McKee
Collapse

Daniel Hill
Daniel Hill
Canada
TOPIC STARTER
Followups Jan 7, 2014

Thank you everyone for your input. It's actually a good thing to get such a variety of replies!

Tomás Yes I did come across some programs that seemed shady at best, but am looking in detail at some distance education programs run by universities in Canada, the US, and the UK. In particular, I've been looking at:

-NYU | SCPS Certificate in Translation
-University of Toronto Online Languages & Translation Courses
-City University London Institute of Li
... See more
Thank you everyone for your input. It's actually a good thing to get such a variety of replies!

Tomás Yes I did come across some programs that seemed shady at best, but am looking in detail at some distance education programs run by universities in Canada, the US, and the UK. In particular, I've been looking at:

-NYU | SCPS Certificate in Translation
-University of Toronto Online Languages & Translation Courses
-City University London Institute of Linguists Educational Trust (IoLET) Diploma in Translation
-Cardiff Centre for Lifelong Learning Diploma in Translation (DipTrans)
-Université de Saint-Boniface Certificate in Translation (though this seems to be more on the side of English>French despite it covering both directions)
-McGill University Certificate in Translation

Of course all of this is very dependent on timing, and funding options, as I am looking to participate in a retraining program for the unemployed.

As far as a local association goes, I can certainly try to contact them about suggested training options. I had contacted them about another topic and never got a response. Perhaps training would be a better question to ask.

Tiffany That's one of the programs I was looking at actually. It seems like the general opinion of those that suggest a certification program is that it will aid in confidence and skill above all else (which is a good thing!) I think if this is a route that I am able to take, then certainly CV, profiles, self-marketing etc will be a huge part of the job search, and of further research.

dianaft Playing up my IT experience rather than translation experience (or lack thereof) also seems to be a recurring theme. This is good, as it lets me know what to focus on. And indeed, referrals and networking, in any type of job, do seem to be how most people get jobs. No exception here then

Anne I did come across the WLS site in my search, but found information on the program to be very minimal and vague. Can you tell me more about how the program is carried out? It sounds like it worked out for you, so perhaps I should give it a second look. You're right, even a small amount of experience here and there would be ok to get started. I'm in a situation where I don't need full time jobs coming in, but only for the time being. My hope was to use this time to get established, and hopefully have it turn into a job where I can support my family. I see now that there are still many things I can do to prepare myself for this and find potential clients.

Thanks again everyone for your feedback and best of luck in your endeavors this year!
Collapse

Jpinosil
Jpinosil  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Strategies Apr 24, 2014

Dear colleague,

We have a good question here. The answer is yes and no. Or rather No or Yes.

No. You do not need certification of any kind to get started as a translator. But that would depend on what documents you want to translate. In some countries you need a seal and an Id as a certified translator. In the US a Certificate of accuracy attached to your translation and signed before a public notary is all you need. if you do not have formal training in translation y
... See more
Dear colleague,

We have a good question here. The answer is yes and no. Or rather No or Yes.

No. You do not need certification of any kind to get started as a translator. But that would depend on what documents you want to translate. In some countries you need a seal and an Id as a certified translator. In the US a Certificate of accuracy attached to your translation and signed before a public notary is all you need. if you do not have formal training in translation you can still make a career provided that you are ready for a long learning curve, a heavy investment in networking, and selling your services for little cash during your "probation" period. Donating translations to churches newsletters, good causes are a good way to brand yourself. If you charge less than the average translator, someone will pick you up. And you get going.. playing by ear you will then raise your prices.
Yes. The industry and I appreciate a certification of some kind. It is a board of reviewers who must say how good you are. Never be afraid of taking that step. Education is a key. Your resume may not say much now and that why you are asking the question. But once you add one course to another, a publication, a blog, a presence in social media, a reviewer in Amazon, etc. things may start to change. Certifications are only a portion of the rules of the industry you want to be part of. It is up to you if you want play the game.
Collapse

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:24
German to English
+ ...
This is country-specific Apr 24, 2014

I see answers coming from places like Germany and Spain. Daniel is in Canada, and here certification DOES matter a great deal! Moreover, he is working in Canada's official languages, which will involve government-related work.

In Canada, the Cdn certificate means no notarization is needed - it already has that status. For any translations going to government officials such as divorce records, marriage certificates, certification is required. Either that or the expensive extra st
... See more
I see answers coming from places like Germany and Spain. Daniel is in Canada, and here certification DOES matter a great deal! Moreover, he is working in Canada's official languages, which will involve government-related work.

In Canada, the Cdn certificate means no notarization is needed - it already has that status. For any translations going to government officials such as divorce records, marriage certificates, certification is required. Either that or the expensive extra step of a notary public. Therefore there is a demand for certified translators both by the general public, and by agencies cashing in on this. But it goes further. Universities looking at transcripts want certification. Government departments outsourcing government material in order to meet the bilingualism laws want certification. The Translation Bureau wants certification. Even businesses ask for certification, because of the reputation of certified translators.

That is why I wrote that this is specific to the asker's country. Daniel, if going for certification then I strongly recommend that you take the preparatory course before sitting the exam. I took the course before doing my exams, and later I taught it. When grading the course material, we are to look for strengths and weaknesses, as well as stresses the criteria on which the exams are based. Those criteria are given to candidates and they're the ones we are supposed to aim toward in our professional work.

hth

Maxi
Collapse

Daniel Hill
Daniel Hill
Canada
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everyone Apr 29, 2014

Hello again, and thank you everyone for your replies. Due to financial commitments I've unfortunately had to seek out more steady employment, but I want to thank everyone for their insight. Perhaps in the future I can take another look at this interesting field. All the best to everyone!

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

In Canada, the Cdn certificate means no notarization is needed - it already has that status. For any translations going to government officials such as divorce records, marriage certificates, certification is required. Either that or the expensive extra step of a notary public. Therefore there is a demand for certified translators both by the general public, and by agencies cashing in on this. But it goes further. Universities looking at transcripts want certification. Government departments outsourcing government material in order to meet the bilingualism laws want certification. The Translation Bureau wants certification. Even businesses ask for certification, because of the reputation of certified translators.

That is why I wrote that this is specific to the asker's country. Daniel, if going for certification then I strongly recommend that you take the preparatory course before sitting the exam. I took the course before doing my exams, and later I taught it. When grading the course material, we are to look for strengths and weaknesses, as well as stresses the criteria on which the exams are based. Those criteria are given to candidates and they're the ones we are supposed to aim toward in our professional work.

hth

Maxi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Certification

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »