Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:41
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oct 21, 2014

Hello everyone

If you have to deal with EU bank accounts, you'll have heard about IBAN codes. But how do you pronounce it? I just saw a video in which the speaker spoke of an "eye-bin" code. I know it as an "ee-bun" code (yes, in English). I suppose one could also go for "eye-ban" and "ee-ban". How do you pronounce it?

Samuel

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I-B-A-N Oct 21, 2014

I-B-A-N
I spell it out, but that is probably because I rarely say it aloud. I am probably talking to someone on the phone when I do.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:41
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Eye Oct 21, 2014

Eye-Ban is the standard Brit Eng pronunciation (sorry if it also sounds like a pair of sunglasses). Similar to iPhone, iMac, etc.

[Edited at 2014-10-21 08:02 GMT]

Ehsan Keivani

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 16:41
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
E bahn Oct 21, 2014

I pronounce it as E bahn (bahn as in Autobahn).

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Agree Oct 21, 2014

Tom in London wrote:

Eye-Ban is the standard Brit Eng pronunciation (sorry if it also sounds like a pair of sunglasses). Similar to iPhone, iMac, etc.

[Edited at 2014-10-21 08:02 GMT]

/ˈaɪbæn /

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
i-kea Oct 21, 2014

The Brits also pronounce IKEA as EYE KEE YA (which I find difficult, having lived elsewhere for so many years) and the flowering shrub Fuchsia as "FEE USH YA" apparently because to pronounce it correctly would be offensive to people who pretend to be respectable but who instantly think of something else if you pronounce "Fuchsia" correctly.

For analogous reasons I had to advise my engineer friend XXXX Facchinetti never to tell anyone in London what his surname is.

... See more
The Brits also pronounce IKEA as EYE KEE YA (which I find difficult, having lived elsewhere for so many years) and the flowering shrub Fuchsia as "FEE USH YA" apparently because to pronounce it correctly would be offensive to people who pretend to be respectable but who instantly think of something else if you pronounce "Fuchsia" correctly.

For analogous reasons I had to advise my engineer friend XXXX Facchinetti never to tell anyone in London what his surname is.

[Edited at 2014-10-21 10:42 GMT]
Collapse

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
ee-ban... and Oct 21, 2014

ee-kay-uh here in the Netherlands.

Edited to add that like Tom I have a hard time remembering to say eye-key-uh when I'm not in NL. In the US people look at me funny (like I'm from another planet) when I say ee-kay-uh.

[Edited at 2014-10-21 12:06 GMT]

Simone Catania
Simone Catania  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
German to Italian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
/ˈʌɪban / Oct 21, 2014

Take a look here:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/iban?q=IBAN#IBAN

UK English: /ˈʌɪban /

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oy-ban Oct 21, 2014

When I click the audio link to hear it, I hear "oy-ban". Is that "oy" the normal British way of saying "eye"?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No Oct 21, 2014

Samuel Murray wrote:

When I click the audio link to hear it, I hear "oy-ban". Is that "oy" the normal British way of saying "eye"?

No - that's an Irish accent. I'm Irish myself but I'm surprised to hear this in an Oxford Dictionary.

Anthony Ottey
Anthony Ottey  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:41
Russian to English
+ ...
I-Ban Oct 21, 2014

or Eye-ban. -- US-English.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
At the risk of sounding like a parrot Oct 21, 2014

Tom in London wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

No - that's an Irish accent. I'm Irish myself but I'm surprised to hear this in an Oxford Dictionary.

Agree - again. It is definitely /ˈaɪbæn /.

If you click the US pronunciation in the following link that's pretty much the same as it is here in the UK, just don't click the UK pronunciation, I don't know what the hell that is (it may as well be Klingon, it certainly isn't UK EN).
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/business-english/iban

[Edited at 2014-10-21 18:32 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I ban… Oct 22, 2014

I'd pronounce it as "I ban", as in, uhm/err … "I ban the use of golf buggies until further notice."

Michael

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you say IBAN in English?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »