Thread poster: Nehad Hussein
Nehad Hussein
Nehad Hussein  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:00
English to Arabic
Apr 17, 2014

Hello Dear Reviewers,

I got a request from a potential client to check his website. He asked me how I am going to fix any issues that need changing. My past experience has been in checking bilingual files and providing comments where necessary. I am not sure how to perform this online proofreading. Any ideas?

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:00
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Issues Apr 18, 2014

Hi Nehad,

if you are only to correct any of the regular proofreading issues, e.g. typos, syntax, etc., then you can just proceed like you would with any other documents/files.

If you are to fix IT problems, e. g. html, links, etc. then perhaps the DTP experts have some advice for you.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
I usually find Apr 18, 2014

they're able to provide a Word version. They're presumably employing you for your language skills rather than your ability to deal with technical issues.

Noura Tawil
Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 00:00
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
. Apr 18, 2014

Hi Nehad,
I usually check the website online, and make a list of the necessary corrections in a word table (page link, issue, correction). I insert screenshots whenever necessary to highlight tbe issue, the "snipping tool" in Windows is great and very quick for these.
Naturally, a strong programming background would be ideal to make the corrections directly online. But then, we would better be programmers, not linguists
... See more
Hi Nehad,
I usually check the website online, and make a list of the necessary corrections in a word table (page link, issue, correction). I insert screenshots whenever necessary to highlight tbe issue, the "snipping tool" in Windows is great and very quick for these.
Naturally, a strong programming background would be ideal to make the corrections directly online. But then, we would better be programmers, not linguists it's simply not a part of our duty to master that, although it could be an added service.
Collapse

Nehad Hussein
Nehad Hussein  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:00
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
your advice is highly appreciated Apr 19, 2014

Thanks Thayenga, philgoddard and Noura for your responses. You confirmed my doubts about the complications of correcting online content. I just wanted to make sure I am giving the best customer service to my clients and have not missed any latest advances in technology.

Dina Dyachenko
Dina Dyachenko  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:00
English to Russian
+ ...
Online is not a big problem either Apr 22, 2014

Noura Tawil wrote:

Hi Nehad,
Naturally, a strong programming background would be ideal to make the corrections directly online. But then, we would better be programmers, not linguists it's simply not a part of our duty to master that, although it could be an added service.

I also usually do as Noura describes, only in Excel. But I also had a good experience working online - it's even easier to correct a typo directly in the site than to explain where it is in the text!
But you need an access to website content management system (CMS) or other tools. If it's not too complicated (and I have never met such), it's really not a problem.

Noura Tawil
Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 00:00
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
CMS Apr 22, 2014

Hi Dina,
I wish it's the same for Arabic. But working on a right-to-left language in CMS is more comlicated than that, unfortunately.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to fix the content of a website

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »