Thread poster: Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:22
English
+ ...
Mar 3, 2015

There have been quite a few threads discussing whether or not to provide free translation samples.
Editors and proofreaders are also often asked to provide free samples.
I don't see why some of the points made in this article can't also apply to providing free translation samples.
... See more
There have been quite a few threads discussing whether or not to provide free translation samples.
I don't see why some of the points made in this article can't also apply to providing free translation samples.

http://sendgrid.com/wf/webmail?rp=ZTI1bGQzTnNaWFIwWlhKZmFXUTZNVEl6TkN4MWMyVnlYMmxrT2pJMU5qVTBmUWV5SnVaWGR6YkdWMGRHVnlYMmxrSWpvaU5UUTVNekkyTWlJc0ltNWxkM05zWlhSMFpYSmZkWE5sY2w5cFpDSTZNVEU0TXpnMk1qSXdPSDA9
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:22
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I'm sure they can Mar 3, 2015

Suzan Hamer wrote:

I've always treated most requests for samples (translation or editing) on a case by case basis. Of course, some just smell fishy and can be refused on the spot, but others get considered on their merits. I don't think it would be a good idea to have an "always" or a "never" rule for accepting a request for free samples.

I'd much rather spend an hour on a sample of my work than spend the same amount of time scanning in certificates from 30 years ago, defending my position on references, trying to find proof that I'm paying my taxes and social contributions etc.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pros and Cons of Free Editing Samples

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »