Thread poster: Roni_S
Roni_S
Roni_S  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 19:44
Slovak to English
TOPIC STARTER
Annoyed Aug 28, 2015

I just find this practice annoying, is all. Back to normal today, but thanks for letting me vent and for all your good advice.

Cheers,
Roni

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
local punctuation rules Aug 28, 2015

englishpartner wrote:

I just find this practice annoying, is all. Back to normal today, but thanks for letting me vent and for all your good advice.

Cheers,
Roni

If the problem is only punctuation, it might be a matter of wrong regional settings with the DTP software at a final stage. I had this problem with a German client who publishes the translated material together with the original brochures. Now they always send me the final PDF for approval just before printing.
Regarding the name of the translator: I insist to have my name when and only when I can have the final review. I prefer not to see my name on websites though, because usually after a few months the client makes some so called "minor changes" without going through the whole translation process and I better stay out of the resulting mess.

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:44
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, you did Aug 29, 2015

englishpartner wrote:

Yes, you are right and I certainly don't mean to put all non-native proofreaders into one basket but my experience, in my language pair, has been that people way over-estimate their skills. Some of the things I've been asked to proofread by this particular company have been so incredibly *Engrish* that I've actually sent emails and called friends just to laugh over them, and without the source text it would have been impossible to correct the translation.

yes, you did mention - with what purpose? - your assumption it was a non-native proofreader who did the poor editing of your translation.
In my language pair, I have witnessed a more than sufficient number of times how native editors distort the meaning, introduce non-existing details AND make grammar errors while doing that. Done the editing, the agency still sends the translation back to me to revise the editor's work! And here we are talking not about a somewhat 3-class agency somewhere in a corner of a warehouse but about EU tender winners.
In your case, the situation is annoying, undoubtly. Either we grow a thick skin and stop reacting to such occurrences, or draw the client's attention where appropriate. I wouldn't regard it as your own protection, not in direct terms, though it could be helpful for future refferences as the introduced errors might be associated with your name some time later; human memory is short.
Yesterday I delivered a translation of a university website. The original was full of typos while the whole text was about "high quality studies". Along with the translation, I sent a note to the agency suggesting their client to revise their original. I could have kept it to myself... but I just couldn't.
So all this is pretty individual.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Inform your client Aug 29, 2015

Gabriele Demuth wrote:

If, at a later point, someone else mentions it, e.g. one of their clients, they might blame you for the mistakes and/or harming their business.

I would just point it out politely, e.g. as you did before, mentioning that you approve of proofreaders ...

Yes, you should calmly and politely inform the client that there is a/are several mistakes in the publication. At this point it's not all "that" important that the translation has been published already, except for your client.

By pointing out the errors to your client in a professional manner, he will not be able to overlook the fact that you do take pride in your translation and want it to be the best it can be, and not just hand in the final product (prior to any good or not so good proofreader's action), take your money and forget about it. This might leave a very good impression on your client, a helptful assest when it comes to future projects in which you just might have a vote regarding the reviewer.

Roni_S
Roni_S  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Slovak to English
TOPIC STARTER
@Inga, @Thayenga Aug 31, 2015

Inga, just last week I saw an advert for English lessons, offered by a native speaker, that was so full of mistakes I had to suppress the urge to send him an email explaining his abuse of "apostrophe's" and other assorted crimes against the English language. It never ceases to amaze me.

Thayenga, good advice and thank you.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client 'edited' my translation, then published it

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »